Airfryers

63 posts in this topic

I looked up what actually was an 'airfryer' today. It's basically a tiny convection over in which I can spay/add some fat to food. Excess fat drips into a grill pan.

I was rather disappointed.

Sure, a convection oven half the size of my microwave will not use much power to heat that tiny space.

Isn't this the use case for the upper 'small oven' in a conventional oven. Hmm, even that is 4x the size when I think about it.

Ok, for some chicken wings, or a few small bits. Ideal for one, possibly two people.

I am not running out to get one. Did I miss anything?

Well, I wouldn't get a single use airfryer either. Mine I use mostly on steam/pressure/saute and then I just grill/airfry sometimes at the end to eg melt and toast a topping.

Kid#4 got proper into making homemade chips at the start but that takes a while (lots of power), uses more oil than we usually consume and only makes an OK amount for two - so pretty much what you said, so I wouldn't be dashing out either just for that function.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

Mine I use mostly on steam/pressure/

You can use it as a pressure cooker, too??

As it turns out, my son only tried fried things in his air fryer. Imagine that. He said nothing was as good as the deep fryer. 

I think a nice toaster oven with a grill does the same thing. We could fit a small roast in ours. Smaller and less electricity. 

We don't have the counter space for any more large appliances anyway.

My air fryer's small capacity - I cook only for one - doesn't make it a small appliance, but I got it as a special on Amazon for $40. The inner circumference is about 9 inches. It's great for warming fried foods and pizza, and for frozen french fries. But at about 12" w x 14" h, it takes room in my small kitchen that requires creative storage - it hides atop the toaster oven behind a swinging door. I haven't been adventurous with its use, but I'm happy to have it.

42 minutes ago, jeba said:

You can use it as a pressure cooker, too??

Yup. It has 2 lids. The newer model has one really clever lid. Mine is, as I've said, not a single function machine, which I don't really have the enthusiasm for, but a multicooker. The Ninja Foodi.

A normal airfryer is mostly going to do fried food, I assume, as FF's son has been doing.

23 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

As it turns out, my son only tried fried things in his air fryer. Imagine that. He said nothing was as good as the deep fryer. 

I think a nice toaster oven with a grill does the same thing. We could fit a small roast in ours. Smaller and less electricity. 

We don't have the counter space for any more large appliances anyway.

I got a large ish Microwave with oven function and a real grill, not the crap grills you get in Microwaves these days, I can cook most stuff with it, I really love the grill food function. I guess the oven function is like the Air fryer, as it has a built in fan aswell. It supper quick to warm up and I make lot of for 1 or for 2 meals in it, I guess its uses lots less power than a real big oven. My big oven almost never gets switched on. I do like having the 2 ovens thou.

yep, with all the other toys I have in the kitchen, I do not really have the space in the kitchen to put anything else in, which is the main reason why I will not get one, would love to try it thou. When I think of the must have new machines that I buy, I really just liked playing around with them, and then they sit in the cupboard, and I cannot be bothered to take it out cook, clean and put it back anymore.

Never reall wanted steamed food, do not know why

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

a multicooker. The Ninja Foodi

Ok, this will seem a daft question (just trying to make sure I am comparing apples with apples), but do you mean like this one (which just has air frying as an option):  Ninja Foodi 10-in-1 XL Multifunktionsofen DT200EU ?

or more like this (which is an air fryer which seems to offer other functions):  Ninja Foodi MAX Dual Zone Heißluftfritteuse AF400EU ?

This thread has sold me on the concept, I'm just trying to figure out which sort to get: the Ninja website seems particularly unhelpful.

Sorry, Foodi seems not to be a useful term on the Ninja website  - too vague.

Mine was the forerunner of these  Ninja Multikocher - Ninja DE (ninjakitchen.de)

this one: (apologies for the yellow box, can't seem to lose it...)

Ninja Foodi MAX Multikocher [OP500EU] Gebürsteter Edelstahl, keramikbeschichtete Kochtöpfe, Stahl/Schwarz

My daughter and my friend have the new one. 

Louise Long looks at the different types I think - I don't know about the ones you have linked to and it's definitely worth the research given that they are not cheap things. Those toaster oven type ones would certainly fry more chips than mine does :)

Thanks for the link @kiplette, so that was a different type of Ninja beast altogether. How odd that they make so many different types of machine to do broadly similar types of cooking. The Ninja products generally seem to score well on the independent review sites I've seen though (BBC, good housekeeping etc). I think I'll need input from my wife as to which "Foodi" version to buy (the air fryer based one with two buckets, the one that looks like a small oven/grill, or this new-to-me pressure cooker type one). Decisions, decisions. @mgr what sort are you going for?

37 minutes ago, tor said:

grandma airfryer.jpg

Had to laugh, because she looks so similar to a lady I used to know all too well. Did everyone of that era have those glasses and that hair style :lol:

On 11/1/2022, 1:09:19, dstanners said:

I like the idea that one of these could replace an oven entirely, but some of the comments on the thread suggest that it may be suitable for smaller meals or for a couple only. I've taken a look online (like the Ninja Max XL and Ninja Speedy) but they refer to the capacity in quarts, which I can see is roughly a litre. However, it is hard to think of many meals in purely liquid terms. Would that be big enough for a roast dinner for a family of four for example? I'm struggling to think how something that small could allow for a tray of roast potatoes, large roasting joint, yorkshire puddings etc, or is it so fast you could make each part one after the other? How about baking a decent-sized loaf of bread?

I bought the Ninja 8-in-1 (SP101EU),  which is large enough to cook a full sized pizza. I've also cooked on the tray, e.g. potatoes and meats. It's got the air fryer for chicken wings and fries. I can also bake with it. It's really versatile. I make enough for 4 people to eat. The nice feature is that you can flip it up when not in use and save counter space.

Aldi has the same kind I have on offer for 40-odd Euros. For an Airfryer novice perhaps a good device to get started with.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Unbeknownst to me, our toaster oven has an air fryer setting. Himself said he uses it sometimes.

It is this one.

So it looks like we have room for one after all.

Any negatives with this model?

I think I might buy one...

I don't think he uses the air fryer a lot but says he likes it. It is a great toaster oven. Big enough to cook many things in for the two of us without heating up the big oven. It sits atop our microwave so doesn't take any extra space.

I simply eat whatever he prepares and it is always good.

yes, one negative is that some users are reporting that they did not know it had an Airfry mode even though its written on the front control panel  :lol::lol::lol::lol:Capture.GIF.c62e3a11f076021a1522791f2917