gardening: anybody have potato in storage sprouted in mid october ??

4 posts in this topic

I grow 2 beds of potatoes.. harvested in end of July. Left them under shade for 3 days to let the surface dry out. Then buried them in dry sand box layer by layer.

I checked now, the were all sprouted !  I never have potato in my sand box sprouted so early ! NOT even winter yet !

When you guy plant & harvest potato ? i am located in Neuss.

How you guys store your food potato and seed potato ? My friend in uk told me she bury them in straw.. or news paper, can last till march..

Mine this year sprouted so soon ? anybody know the reason that i might have did wrong ?!

Appreciated.

Seems trite, but is it dark enough where they are stored? Sounds as though light must be getting in somehow.

Alternatively, had you rubbed the earth off the skins prior to leaving them to dry for a day or so after harvest?

Leaving them in straw or paper is what I do too, and yes, they should last over the winter.

On 10/27/2022, 6:05:10, dstanners said:

Seems trite, but is it dark enough where they are stored? Sounds as though light must be getting in somehow.

Alternatively, had you rubbed the earth off the skins prior to leaving them to dry for a day or so after harvest?

Leaving them in straw or paper is what I do too, and yes, they should last over the winter.

My potatoes are quite clean, because i used compost for the beds for years..  ya, maybe i did rub a bit for those that are stuck with clay.
My potatoes are buried in play sand box.. shouldn't have light that penetrate to them. unlikely.

Yes, i have left them on crate under garden house shade for around 3 days for them to dry up properly.  Is it too long for 3 days in july ?  it often rain now and then in july, so the harvesting time is not usually a dry time.
I still only experienced this 1 time so far.  Really discouraging and weird. Still upset a bit with this..

On 10/27/2022, 6:05:10, dstanners said:

You said  you left them in straw pile to over winter, but must be in place where never dive down below 0c right ?  my garden shed is cool and only have a window tilted.. it always stay cooler than outside during summer.

and in winter it does goes down to 2 c... in serious minus weather outside;  i have had bottled water that was frozen in the shed before. So, that is not consider a "frost free place" right ?

I used to  place spagethi squash in the garden shed before, as winter comes; those squash all rotted with liquid. I think might be due to the temperature in the shed dived down to 0c. However when i storage potato in the same shed , but in sand box, i have never have them gone bad.. (only this year that they sprouted in oct.. crazy).