90 day rule and Schengen border control

20 posts in this topic

This probably has been answered? I recently traveled to Delhi from Copenhagen via Germany. On my return to Copenhagen my Uk passport was stamped. I then caught a further flight home to Berlin no border control as Schengen. How do l prove if l travel in a few months to another EU state that l haven’t exceeded the 90 day rule as l am still technically in Denmark. 

I don't understand. You live in Berlin, but flew Copenhagen-Frankfurt-Delhi (passport stamped in Frankfurt) and returned Delhi-Frankfurt-Copenhagen (passport stamped in Frankfurt). Is that right? Those are your Schengen stamps. Don't you have proof of residency in Germany? If so you shouldn't have any issues anyway.

On 10/27/2022, 3:00:20, soapbox said:

This probably has been answered? I recently traveled to Delhi from Copenhagen via Germany. On my return to Copenhagen my Uk passport was stamped. I then caught a further flight home to Berlin no border control as Schengen. How do l prove if l travel in a few months to another EU state that l haven’t exceeded the 90 day rule as l am still technically in Denmark. 

well you don't ...there is no stamp so no way to check, initially.

But let's say you get in trouble, with the police or some immigration issue and they decide to check where you've been: phone logs, gps location of your google account, payments of your credit cart, security cameras, log of online services you use, etc etc

So proactively they don't check since it's not possible...but if they are in the need to check then there are ways to find out.

Good luck! 

On 07/11/2022, 12:25:23, kaffeemitmilch said:

I don't understand. You live in Berlin, but flew Copenhagen-Frankfurt-Delhi (passport stamped in Frankfurt) and returned Delhi-Frankfurt-Copenhagen (passport stamped in Frankfurt). Is that right? Those are your Schengen stamps. Don't you have proof of residency in Germany? If so you shouldn't have any issues anyway.

I didn’t go via Frankfurt. I flew direct to Copenhagen from Berlin. Passport not stamped in Berlin and only in Copenhagen on my return to Denmark from Delhi. I have German residency but the rules are 90/180 days can be spent in EU outside of residency state 

36 minutes ago, soapbox said:

I didn’t go via Frankfurt. I flew direct to Copenhagen from Berlin. Passport not stamped in Berlin and only in Copenhagen on my return to Denmark from Delhi. I have German residency but the rules are 90/180 days can be spent in EU outside of residency state 

Yeah, but they're hardly going to hassle you about that. Just keep your boarding passes, for example, but otherwise with a German residence permit there is basically zero chance of a border guard questioning you about this.

You can alwyas ask for your passport to be stamped. I did that when I moved abroad to have proof I left that day ( in case the Finanzamt asked).

On 10/11/2022, 17:08:23, kaffeemitmilch said:

Yeah, but they're hardly going to hassle you about that. Just keep your boarding passes, for example, but otherwise with a German residence permit there is basically zero chance of a border guard questioning you about this.

It’s not about a German border guard - l have residency in Germany. It’s about other EU states. And it has happened in Cyprus l was asked about the number of days. 
My point is it’s daft process 

22 minutes ago, soapbox said:

It’s not about a German border guard - l have residency in Germany. It’s about other EU states. And it has happened in Cyprus l was asked about the number of days. 
My point is it’s daft process 

You're right it's annoying that they don't stamp, but that is basically the case for people with residence in a Schengen state, and sometimes even for tourists (I remember France just looked at passports and waved us in a few times after arriving from outside Schengen). My passport has NO Schengen stamps, but I have never been questioned about the 90 days at other EU borders once they see my residence permit. And, if they do, you just tell them as happened in Cyprus (which is not in Schengen, so you can stay specifically in Cyprus for 90 days in addition to 90 in Schengen).

Cyprus is currently operating to Schengen rules as it will join soon. I think it will get confusing once ETIAS is introduced as border guards will view an intergrated system that shows all entry and exits made throughout Schengen. I doubt they will wave people through - those days will be gone. But l guess it may cause inconvenience for some who frequently travel in and out of Schengen from different locations and not just from where they have residency. It’s just a shame it’s so poorly thought out 

On 18/11/2022, 10:36:37, soapbox said:

Cyprus is currently operating to Schengen rules as it will join soon. I think it will get confusing once ETIAS is introduced as border guards will view an intergrated system that shows all entry and exits made throughout Schengen. I doubt they will wave people through - those days will be gone. But l guess it may cause inconvenience for some who frequently travel in and out of Schengen from different locations and not just from where they have residency. It’s just a shame it’s so poorly thought out 

How is Cyprus going to join Schengen with the TRNC issue ongoing?

21 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hopefully not at all. Firstly, because the border controls are very lax. Recently I crossed to the North with a friend whose German ID had expired in 2014 and nobody took notice. And secondly because it would cause problems for people like my girlfriend, who aren´t EU-citizens but want to stay within the EU for more than 90 days by commuting between different EU-countries.

On 16/11/2022, 10:52:15, kaffeemitmilch said:

You're right it's annoying that they don't stamp,

They do if you ask them to.

5 minutes ago, jeba said:

Hopefully not at all. Firstly, because the border controls are very lax. Recently I crossed to the North with a friend whose German ID had expired in 2014 and nobody took notice. And secondly because it would cause problems for people like my girlfriend, who aren´t EU-citizens but want to stay within the EU for more than 90 days by commuting between different EU-countries.

This does not make sense. 

11 hours ago, snowingagain said:

This does not make sense. 

Why not? Currently, a non-EU citizen can stay 90 days in Germany, then go to Cyprus for another 90 days, go back to Germany and so forth. Should CY join Schengen, this would no longer possible.

On 20/11/2022, 21:13:17, kaffeemitmilch said:

https://etias.com/etias-countries/cyprus-etias

See ETIAS link! TRNC is unrecognized and the whole island is considered EU territory. Also most Turkish Cypriots have Cyprus passports 

On 21/11/2022, 18:36:42, jeba said:

It is not a border it is a check point 

The TRNC is not recognized. 
If non EU citizens enter Cyprus via the north they cannot cross south as they have illegally entered Cyprus - they risk arrest 

9 minutes ago, soapbox said:
On 21/11/2022, 18:36:42, jeba said:

If non EU citizens enter Cyprus via the north they cannot cross south as they have illegally entered Cyprus - they risk arrest 

7 hours ago, soapbox said:

Call it what you want. I can assure you that it very much feels like a border. When I drove there with my non-EU girlfriend she was refused re-entry at the Pyla crossing by the British (not Cypriot) guards there. We had to return and re-enter via Famagusta. It was an annoying waste of time and petrol that did nothing but add to avoidable pollution.