A really painful experience at the dentist!

58 posts in this topic

I also had a root canal done with no injection in Slovenia on a Sunday years ago. Funny enough, it was instant relief. That is how infected and painful it was before. My whole face was swollen. No problems after. Followed up with my dentist in Munich. Eventually, I had to have that molar pulled after my dentist figured out it had a hairline crack in it. This was after xrays when it acted up in Thailand and again in Slovenia. It took her 1.5 hrs. to pull it. She was very gentle so no pain then or afterwards. She said she could have yanked it out but there would be a lot of trauma afterwards. As you can tell, I love my dentist.

Never been more grateful to anyone than my good dentists and my obstetrician. Worthwhile careers for those with the ability and vocation and can who get over the goo.

I never had had a painful experience with dentists. To make sure it stayed that way I asked for analgosedation by an anesthesiologist for pulling my wisdom tooth. Highly recommended.

When I first arrived to live in New York, I found a dentist and had a routine check up. He took xrays and told me I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth. He said he could take 2 out that day, but the other 2 I would need to go to a clinic and have surgery. I declined both optioms as I had no problems. 50 years later, I still have all 4.

6 minutes ago, Acton said:

When I first arrived to live in New York, I found a dentist and had a routine check up. He took xrays and told me I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth. He said he could take 2 out that day, but the other 2 I would need to go to a clinic and have surgery. I declined both optioms as I had no problems. 50 years later, I still have all 4.

This is often a way of making money.   I had a cowboy Australian dentist  in Earls Court in the late 70s who used his knee against my shoulder for purchase to get one of mine out.  He had already cut down and then drilled a ridge, for an easier grip.  I left with blood all over my face (I did wonder why I was getting weird looks on the tube).

It is really a good idea to get a recommendation for a dentist. Anywhere.  Mind you, I am sure people round here would recommend the dreadful dentist here, because they know no different.  A great one for being generally just crap at everything.  And a particular love of replacing fillings that do not need replacing.  Nice woman, though.  Just a really dreadful dentist.  And she has all the right qualifications.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

... people round here would recommend the dreadful dentist here, because they know no different.  

Exactly the trap I fell into upon arrival in Germany.  And I drew the same conclusion.

12 minutes ago, optimista said:

Exactly the trap I fell into upon arrival in Germany.  And I drew the same conclusion.

Choose wisely.  Ask a (medical) doctor.  We had a crazy Kinderarzt.  But she was great at diagnosing stuff.   A dr dr dr person.  She was great when my child was really sick.  Gave me her phone number, in case child got sick in the night.   Crap at some stuff, like needles.  And sometimes off the scale weird (she once said that it would be better to be like Africans, who do not mind so much when their children die).  But, hey.    She knew the local Augenarzt was really good with diagnosing eye infections and damage.  And crap at doing more simple prescription of glasses.  Ditto crap dentists.  

She retired without warning.  After giving my youngest an MMR that he did not need.  She did say "hey, it is really unlikely to get measles now".  I liked her.

6 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I had a cowboy Australian dentist  in Earls Court in the late 70s who used his knee against my shoulder for purchase to get one of mine out. 

I had one in England who did that to get 1 of mine out and he still couldn't get it out as it basically just kept breaking off in bits.Had 2 German dentists try and same result and then my now dentist said I need to go to a surgeon as he doesn´t want to touch it.Couple of months ago got the courage up to go to the surgeon and he numbed it and fuck me in about 20 secs was out and no pain afterwards.For over 20 years I´d been walking around with a tooth that sometimes gave me pain because I had no interest in having anyone else try and pull it out.

The worst pain I´ve ever had from a dentist was once a long time ago I got home from work about 7ish and my face had a massive swelling on the left side and I could feel the lump with my tongue.Took about 2 hours to go from a little bit of pain to this massive swelling.

Had to go to the local hospital as they had a dental line (don't know if they still have them) where you basically just turn up,book in and wait for some poor bastard dentist who has pulled the emergency duty,they were not exactly known for being gentle.

Anyway he looked in it and said he had to cut the lump on my gum open and couldn't give me any anaesthetic because of the infection etc etc and he proceeded to cut this fucking thing open with a scalpel,the pain of the cut was immense but it was also instant relief at the same time,and don´t even mention the smell and taste.

Aaaggh.  Excellent dental surgeons around.  My wonderful dentist would not even do tricky extractions, 2 of my childeren were referred to an excellent one here in Heidelberg.  And I even know one personally with a practice in Karlsruhe.  Please.  Avoid these butchers.

@ChelskiThank you for posting that! I couldn't remember what the film was called, I knew it had something to do with running. 

On 10/28/2022, 3:52:54, snowingagain said:

Mind you, I am sure people round here would recommend the dreadful dentist here, because they know no different.  

I came to that conclusion too!

The dreadful dentist had 1.0 score (highest possible) on https://www.jameda.de/ and was always approaching you with a radiant smile!

On 10/25/2022, 9:39:10, optimista said:

Yes. 

German dentists. Special breed. Criminally bad some of them.

My expériences at the hands of German dentists beggared belief. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I'll never forget what a German dental student said to me when I asked him why dentists in Germany don't seem to urge their patients to floss: "What's bad for the teeth is good for the dentist!"

To be fair, though, I had a really great dentist in Berlin, a guy who replaced all of my amalgam fillings with gold. Docs in the U.S. comment to this day (30 years hence) how good those fillings look.

And I also went to a really bad, unscrupulous dentist in Berlin, a guy who told me I needed two root canals. Thankfully I said "maybe later" and when I went to the U.S., I checked in w/ my dentist, who said, "you don't need any root canals."

Dentistry is generally a profession with no oversight that sadly seems to have more than its share of practitioners who take full advantage of that.

When we needed to find a dentist here I asked a friend who shares similar values to me, and she said she knew a great one, and he only cycles and doesn't have expensive habits so she feels certain he isn't going to do unnecessary extras to finance his Porsche :) 

So far he's worked out well. I would have been most unhappy about just going for one without a personal recommendation. There are few fully-clothed moments in life when you are in such a powerless position as when in that chair with your mouth wide open.