German or EU citizenship without german language skills

46 posts in this topic

I don't think a comparison with your English level is really relevant, or a comparison with eg. A level German. 

You only need B1 for citizenship, and that is do-able for most people. 

Think about what you enjoy doing and how you might enjoy learning. One of my oldies does Duolingo every day, and that works for her, only needs about 10 minutes. Now all of my oldies are around A1/2 and generally don't do anything at all outside of their one hour a week. Moving beyond that point is not really possible for them. Mrs Duolingo I think could get through a B1 test with only a minimal extra effort, because it is really not that demanding with a few tricks.

Deutsche Welle has beginners news to read, 

Sesame Street is fantastic

Kids books are misleading because German is super easy to learn to read, the structure is not comparable to Early Readers for British kids where learning to read is a proper embuggerance. Really it is better to start with something designed for DaF (German as a foreign language).

I would recommend Duolingo to get you started on what the words are and how they join into phrases and sentences. Once you have some small idea, you can access basic reading materials, and find stuff you are interested in.

It really is possible with less effort than you might imagine.

Definitely worth a go, since you have a life built up here already. Think positive - most really stupid people can get there, and as Fietsrad says, that you clearly are not. You don't need to be good with languages to get B1. You just need to build up some knowledge and skills.

Yeah as kiplette says the level is B1 not B2 and that is quite a bit easier.

Instead of worrying about how hard it is compared to exams you did in school years ago, why not compare it to an English B1 now.

Take a look at an online test for B1 in English. (I won't recommend one, I just googled and did about 3 different ones easily in 10 minutes).

I would be very surprised if you get less than C1 on it because I've seen you write here, that should give you a bit more confidence.

On 10/29/2022, 12:37:15, jeba said:

That´s easy. I´ve been living in Cyprus for almost 7 years. Initially I started Greek language classes but dropped out after A1 because it isn´t needed. 

These goddamned foreigners. They come and take, and refuse to integrate 😜

I married my language teacher almost 20yr ago.

Not properly learnt the language yet.:(