What paintings and artists do you like.

11 posts in this topic

I've searched TT, but can't find a thread relating to art and artists.

What style of art do you like, and who are your favourite artists.

I like a broad range of styles; I like the Dutch Masters, but also love work by Dali, Hieronymus Bosch and Hopper.

I just found this video of the Polish artist, Beksinski.

Caspar David Friedrich is one of my favourites, plus Philipp Otto Runge of Wolgast. His birthplace is a museum, open Monday, Saturday, Sunday in season.

The 360° painting by Mesdag.
It is viewed by standing in a gazebo built on  a slight sand dune as if you're

really on the beach.

The fact that the painting is of a straight beach but painted in a 360° surround canvass

produces a spectacular effect. Moving around on the gazebo can cause a perception error (in your head)

but this is quickly resolved if you stand still again.

It is in Scheveningen, on the coast from Den Haag.

I've never seen any Hopper "In real life", but for many years Nighthawks was the wallpaper on my PC, it's lovely.

As a university student I went to the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, and all the paintings were breath taking, but there was something about his paintings of the yellow house in Arles that really moved me. It is also one of those which I often mention when explaining the difference between seeing a painting and seeing a picture of a painting.

The way those paintings capture a feeling of "place" is something that I have never really experienced when looking at anything else.

I also really like René Magritte's work, but when we visted the Musée Magritte Museum in Brussels I didn't get the same feeling of the difference between reproductions and the original works.

M.C. Escher's works in the museum in The Hague were the same, gorgeous, engaging, interesting, but fundamentally not that different from the online versions which are easy to find.

My wife's favourite was this Monet called "Camille" which is in the Bremen art museum. When you see it close up, the quality of the cloth on that dress is something spectacular.

I loved to draw Dali paintings when I was young. Reminds me that I should take up drawing again. I had wanted go to art college though my parents pushed me into business studies as the most sensible option.

I also love Gustav Klimt. I’d forgotten that I’ve always wanted to see a collection wherever some might be. I feel an imminent Google coming on. This film is very interesting….

A favourite memory was visiting the Louvre many years ago. My daughter and I hope to visit together soon. 

my absolute favorite is Lyonel Feininger.

His paintings were the reason why I taught myself oil-painting on canvas.

There was an art ehibition in Munich at the "Haus der Kunst" in 1973 that our art teacher in highschool took us to.

I bought the catalog and started copying his paintings out of that - original size.
https://www.booklooker.de/B%C3%BCcher/Hans-Hess-Hess+Lyonel-Feininger-1871-1956-Ausstellungskatalog-Haus-der-Kunst-M%C3%BCnchen-24-M%C3%A4rz-bis-13/id/A02mMiF001ZZY

By now there are 6 of my "Feiningers" hanging in my house, and another 3 in other people's places.

Many towns in the UK have an AAS, amateur art society. Oftentimes the AAS has an exhibition once a year. I love to see the different styles, although I do not know nothing about art really.

I recently discovered  the Landscape Artist of the Year and Portrait Artist of the Year competitions on YouTube. There are several series. Over a period of weeks the artists compete for the prize of a prestigious landscape commision from the National Trust or a portrait of a famous person.

It is fascinating to see the artists working with a variety of media and in a huge variety of styles. And as you watch them working over the 4 hour allocated time period, you see the kind of marks they make morph into the final picture, so quite a good way into understanding different styles of art.

Watching the portraits develop you see  how they capture different aspects of the sitters' personality. You also get to see the wonderful variety of the British landscape, both country and industrial! 

Yep, Dutch Golden Age. The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam is amazing. Start at the top and work down, cos it is exhausting. Pictures hung too high for kids though. Learnt that lesson.