Selling a car - do I keep Teil I of the Zulassungsbescheinigung?

2 posts in this topic

When I sell a car do I need to hand over Teil I in addition to Teil II of the Zulassungsbescheinigung? I thought so but it seems I need to keep Teil I (the small one that rides in the car) to de-register the car at the Zulassungsstelle. Which is it?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both have to be given to the buyer as both documents are needed for re-registration. It is always better to first de register, and then handover the documents to the buyer unless the buyer is well trusted. In this case too there is a handover sheet at the end of most of contracts where you record the time and date of handover for insurance and Zulassungsstelle. ADAC contract template has this. ADAC recommends to first get the money in account and then handover the papers. 

Way i did in the past , go with buyer to Zulassungsstelle, deregister, get the money confirmation and handover papers. He came later with plates after registering and drove the car away parked at my private parking area. 

After de registering, the car cannot be parked on public roads. 

Hope this helps. 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now