heirloom tomato suitable for germany

32 posts in this topic

I have being growing standard tomato for years. My friend told me she tasted heirloom tomato - it tasted so good.
Hence i want to start to grow heirloom tomato that is suitable in germany as well. A heirloom tomato that produce reasonable amount of tomato, not just a handful of tomato per growing season.. and got to be good tasting and able to make tomato paste too.

Any suggestion ?

I saw pink oxheart  tomato .. but no idea how is the production in germany. Other type of tomato is a on youtube in usa are not available in germany or they cost a bomb to purchase 10 kernels.. crazy.

Anybody have something to recommend for germany weather ?

Thx.

My first year of tomatoes I got a very huge harvest, 200 jars. Taste mindblowing fantastic.

Next year a little more modest, dunno why.

Following year tomato blight, so zero harvest.

Fourth year, 2022, on purpose no tomato attempt because I read somewhere the spore of tomato blight can remain.

Next year we will see.

As for what quality, I just bought some mix of what available in the local shop. Tomatoes are top luxury already, even the cheapest and most "boring" ones, no need to spend more for exotic ones. Well, my opinion at least.

Have fun :)

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

As for what quality, I just bought some mix of what available in the local shop. Tomatoes are top luxury already, even the cheapest and most "boring" ones, no need to spend more for exotic ones. Well, my opinion at least.

Have fun :)

Absolutely agree with the above.  I grow tomatoes on my balcony every year, this year wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either.  I have around 30/35 jars of good tomatoe sauce in my cellar, enough for the winter.  I also buy random seeds because it doesn't really matter, if you grow them yourself, they all taste so good.

I always grow tomatoes from seeds that I collect throughout the year.

If I am out having a meal, and the tomatoes taste really good, I simply pop a few seeds on a serviette and take them home with me. These get planted the next year, and produce really good tomatoes!

Of course, one can invest in all sorts of tomato seeds, but if you are happy growing whatever tomatoes you grow, then why go to all the expense?

If anybody is interested, maybe we could start some seed-swapping on TT?

@ Tap - how to you process your tomatoes to make sauce? I still have quite a lot of toms in the greenhouse that need using up.

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

how to you process your tomatoes to make sauce?

just cooked them in a big pot, blend them with immersion mixer, put into the sterilized jars filling up to the rim, close immediately. This should be sufficient to have it safe. But I know many people, myself included, obsess with health and safety so they leave the hot jars into boiling water for several minutes.

3 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

- do you peel them first?

Very good question.

I actually don't. But I'm pretty sure most people prefer them peeled.

I make a middle Eastern sauce called Arrabbiata. It's so easy and tastes wonderful.  You can google the recipe, but I'll add it here for some people.  

1 Kilo of tomatoes mixed with 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed.  1-2 teaspoons dried crushed chilli flakes.  1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme. a pinch of salt and some black pepper. 2 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil.

Cut the tomatoes in half, then add all the above ingredients.  Put them on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes at 200 degrees.

Then put 20/30 basil leaves in a kitchen machine, add 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt.  Add the tomatoes when they're finished in the oven and mix until smooth.  Fill the sterilised jars with the sauce and store.

I've been making this for years, it's so very good!

I don't peel the tomatoes as most of mine are cherry or cocktail

58 minutes ago, Tap said:

a middle Eastern sauce called Arrabbiata. 

No, per piacere 😭😥

La pasta all'arrabbiata è italiana 😐🇮🇹

I had the best penne arrabiata of my life at the Alpenhof restaurant in Munich the other day. Very spicy and good.

Just saying.

Well, I got the recipe from someone from Yemen, but yes, it may well be Italian.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I had the best penne arrabiata of my life at the Alpenhof restaurant in Munich the other day. Very spicy and good.

Just saying.

At Osteria "Alpenhof" at Alpenplatz 1 in Giesing?

https://goo.gl/maps/jBXiu7arGekGaXXf7

Bilder_04_1_29.jpg.72a0478559a2b52451209

Penne Arrabbiata with tomatoes, chili, garlic and herbs 10.50€

Standardkarte: https://www.osteria-alpenhof.de/speisen-getr%C3%A4nke.html

These are the Penne Arrabbiata served there, image source: https://www.osteria-alpenhof.de/assets/images/1/Der%20Alpenhof_4-bd6e0c8c.jpg

Der_Alpenhof_4-bd6e0c8c_50.jpg.af5efa433

On 07/10/2022, 10:32:21, Tap said:

I make a middle Eastern sauce called Arrabbiata. It's so easy and tastes wonderful.  You can google the recipe, but I'll add it here for some people.  

1 Kilo of tomatoes mixed with 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed.  1-2 teaspoons dried crushed chilli flakes.  1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme. a pinch of salt and some black pepper. 2 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil.

Cut the tomatoes in half, then add all the above ingredients.  Put them on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes at 200 degrees.

Then put 20/30 basil leaves in a kitchen machine, add 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt.  Add the tomatoes when they're finished in the oven and mix until smooth.  Fill the sterilised jars with the sauce and store.

I've been making this for years, it's so very good!

I don't peel the tomatoes as most of mine are cherry or cocktail

That recipe sounds really good Tap, thanks for posting!

sorry for the delay in replying, but my internet, TV and telephone were all down over the weekend...

I`ll let you know once I have tried it!

On 08/10/2022, 14:36:04, maxie said:

I get my seeds for tomatoes, pumpkin and chilies here

Wow! They have some brilliant stuff - wild!

What have you tried?