Price query about Samsung mobile phones

78 posts in this topic

I read last time that Samsung handphone got A series, S series, J series... among all, J series is cheap phone that mostly sold in third countries.
A and S series are the top end phone,
How come i saw Samsung A21s phones are cheap in amazon  ? as low as 260 euro.. ?
Anybody know why ?

Thanks.

That's just how much they cost, sometimes a lot less.

The A series is mid-range and generally has no weather sealing, might not have wireless charging, plastic back instead of glass etc.

I've got an A53 that's fine for basically anything. You can spend way more if you want those additional features.

I prefer Samsung's M series, it has better specs than the A series (higher resolution, more RAM, better processors, thinner and lighter for the same screen size, and so on), see the specs side-by-side on the Geizhals.de price comparison website: https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2292358&cmp=2608498&cmp=2712158

Amazon.de usually has the M series first, for example the Samsung M52 5G is still available: https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartphone-Vertrag-Android-Schwarz/dp/B09FKKPTR9/

At Amazon, the price fluctuates wildly, but you can set up a price watch at Keepa.com and they will send you an e-mail once your desired price has been reached (change the Range to "All" to see all prices it has ever been sold for): https://keepa.com/#!product/3-B09FKKPTR9

SmartSelect_20221003-200555_Chrome.jpg.5

The Samsung M53 5G is no longer available at Amazon, they only have a returned one left, which is now being sold at an usurious price by AmazonWarehouse:  https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartphone-Infinity-Speicher-Dual-SIM/dp/B09WN2TXJQ/

If you can wait, the Samsung M54 5G will be released in June 2023: https://www.gadgetsnow.com/amp/mobile-phones/Samsung-Galaxy-M54

Comparison of A series with M series: https://provscons.com/why-is-samsung-m-series-cheaper-than-a-series/

Also, the Samsung A21s is only being sold by Amazon Marketplace sellers: https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Simlock-Branding-Schwarz-SM-A217FZKNEUB/dp/B088VL7X92/

Good luck trying them to help if you should need the warranty: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/391465-we-will-finally-buy-a-tv/?do=findComment&comment=3911077

Back when the Samsung A21s was sold directly by Amzon, it cost around 150€, so 260€ is overpriced (choose Range "All"): https://keepa.com/#!product/3-B088VL7X92

SmartSelect_20221003-204718_Chrome.jpg.7

I have had the A51 since Feb 2021 and am quite unimpressed.  I've used various Samsung mobiles since 2011 and this one has been the worst.  It lags often, when I turn it to get a full screen.  The screen will simply freeze on occasion, the bluetooth function will sometimes not find other devices, generally after a few scans it will.  There are other small reasons, but I plan to order a better mobile next year.  This one has been just a bad experience.

Will get a new smartphone next year, choosing between Google Pixel and Samsung. We've had a few Samsung, they are in general quite good and display quality is top notch.

I'm also considering a new phone. My Samsung S8 is over 4 years old

Two things I dislike about Samsung:

• The usbc charging port is unusable with any amount of lint in the gap
  • Bixby! Never before has a piece of pushy incompetent software generated such outrage in me

So I'm really thinking none Samsung going forward.

Travellers tip:

Make sure your new phone has eSIM capabilities. Means you download a profile allowing new providers when crossing borders (outside EU of course)

No need to find, pay for and install those pesky cards...it's all electronicB)

I am as well thinking in a new phone.   I will probably give up on Android and go back to an iPhone since I am already way to in into the Apple ecosystem.  But this is a bad timing, the iPhone 14 is way too expensive due to the US dollar being so strong and it is not really much better than the iPhone 13.

The IPhone is a great smartphone, but I can't stand the Apple ecosystem, I hate, hate working with macOS, and the company's IPhone has the same things I hate about macOS.

9 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

The IPhone is a great smartphone, but I can't stand the Apple ecosystem, I hate, hate working with macOS, and the company's IPhone has the same things I hate about macOS.

Agreed

I hate that Apple has a different version of Bluetooth which only works on Apple stuff, which means if you buy ibuds you cannot use them on Android later( or at least if difficult ). The apple model is that you buy into the Apple eco system, if you want to change then you have to re buy all your peripherals !!! its crazy, if you buy an Andriod phone then you can use the same peripherals between different brands of Android phones. They played the same game in the 1980's and 90's with MAC's, until the customers said F* you, I want to be able to use the peripherals on different ( non Apple products ). Sure the iphone is a good product but, and apple having total control means you get a good product, but I do not want to be tied in.

This is why I do not like apple, you get sucked in and they make it difficult to break out of that lock in.

And then there is the whole right to self repair issues, there is a video on youtube, where this guy bought 2 identical iphones and swapped some components, after this the 2 phones would not start. He swapped them back over and the 2 phone would start.

Apple is a good phone but they play all sorts of games, to get you locked in and pay more for things because you are locked in. Ok for the average user it does not make much of an issue, but I want the phone I buy to be in my control, not in the control of Apple. 

42 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Agreed

I hate that Apple has a different version of Bluetooth which only works on Apple stuff, which means if you buy ibuds you cannot use them on Android later( or at least if difficult ).

Not sure what you are talking about, if you buy AirPods they work with Android.  Been there done that.

But I think in the future Apple might indeed make "their own Bluetooth", this is because Bluetooth still do not have enough bandwidth for lossless audio and the industry refuses to fix this issue.   I assume Apple will give up and just come with something else, they can't wait forever.   This is USB-C vs Lightning all over again.  

The apple model is that you buy into the Apple eco system, if you want to change then you have to re buy all your peripherals !!! its crazy, if you buy an Andriod phone then you can use the same peripherals between different brands of Android phones.

Not sure what "peripherals" you are talking about.   My only complain is the different charging port, but the EU fixed that issue and somewhere in 2024 iPhones must come with USB-C.  They were changing to USB-C anyway.

And then there is the whole right to self repair issues, there is a video on youtube, where this guy bought 2 identical iphones and swapped some components, after this the 2 phones would not start. He swapped them back over and the 2 phone would start.

The problem is Apple takes security seriously and those are the consequences.   If there is no hardware locking mechanisms, everything you needed to hack into an iPhone was changing the screen with a hacked one for breaking the face-ID.

The alternative is making phones that are easily hackable.

Apple is a good phone but they play all sorts of games, to get you locked in and pay more for things because you are locked in. Ok for the average user it does not make much of an issue, but I want the phone I buy to be in my control, not in the control of Apple. 

The "you pay more" is not really true for their entry and mid level devices.   Apple does not make $200 phones and people go and compare their iPhones with Samsung Js.  Or they compared the Macbooks with $400 Windows laptops.   The Macbook Air M1 even if it is a 2020 device is still GREAT for that price.

Anyway, I do not like living in the Apple ecosystem, I actually hate to be trapped.  But their ecosystem works and it makes me angry you can't do similar things with Android + Windows (which I use both as well on regular basis).    Making copy/paste among devices is great, having access to your files in any device is great, transferring a photo you just took to your laptop or to a friend's phone in one second is great, etc.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

As someone who has developed consumer electronics and now develops industrial electronics, I'm not a fan of self repair for all cases.

These devices are getting more complex and you can't just go in and replace stuff.

And even if you get it working, it won't be optimal. Example: the high end smartphone displays (my area of expertise) are individually calibrated. If you swap the display or the controller, that calibration is gone.

I think batteries should be swappable, everything else not really.

Another example: contrary to laptops, desktop computers are made for self-repair and self assembly. But then they occupy 10x more volume and 5x more weight!

Laptops are light and small because of deep integration, which voids most of self repairs.

Speaking about it, the Mac Mini's are terrible on that area. They overcharge massively for memory upgrades, while making it extremely difficult to do it by yourself. And there I agree you should be able to self repair/upgrade, because there is no technical reason to prevent it.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Speaking about it, the Mac Mini's are terrible on that area. They overcharge massively for memory upgrades, while making it extremely difficult to do it by yourself. And there I agree you should be able to self repair/upgrade, because there is no technical reason to prevent it.

You can't upgrade Mac Minis' memory anymore, the same for all Apple Silicon devices.  The RAM is now in the SOC (and shared with the graphic cores).   They went the "smartphone" way, so you have to decide what you will need when you buy the device.   I still did not make my mind about this decision, because the way memory is used now can't be really compared with the traditional way, it is really much more efficient but you are stuck with your original decision when you bought the device.   But in the other hand, the worries might be just a state of mind, you never worry about upgrading RAM in your smartphone.

I agree with the rest you said.

P.S., In the past when you could actually upgrade RAM (or disk space) you didn't have to buy the upgrades from Apple, they were other budget oriented alternatives.

59 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Not sure what you are talking about, if you buy AirPods they work with Android.  Been there done that.

Half agree with you on further investigation 

ibuds can be used on Android, but with limited functionality 

See here https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/01/do-airpods-work-with-android/#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20can%20use%20Apple,any%20Bluetooth%2Denabled%20Android%20device.

Couple of years ago, I went to my brothers house for Christmas, he took several photos there and asked if I would like to have them, I said yes, so we tried to connect his iphone with me Android phone, we tried a long time but could not get them to connect, I had used bluetooth with another Andriod phone, before that. In the end, he simply sent the pics by email to me. I just assumed Apple does not fully implement bluetooth like Android does. I assume Apple does this to get you to buy more apple products, but I fully accept your argument that its just aplle wants a 'better' standard and cannot get the standard changed. But my view is that then apple should should have software that supports both the standard version and the improved apple version of the software, rather than calling it bluetooth and its apple version does not do what the strandard says.

Looking at this further, it seems you need to download an app called bump to both devices to do this (https://smallbusiness.chron.com/bluetooth-file-sharing-iphone-android-32333.html). But I take the view, it it says on the box that it supports bluetooth then it should work out of the box, which it does with Android, but not with Apple.

Not sure what "peripherals" you are talking about.   My only complain is the different charging port, but the EU fixed that issue and somewhere in 2024 iPhones must come with USB-C.  They were changing to USB-C anyway.

Like I said above apple does not support bluetooth to the standards they put their own version in, which means it not compatible with Android or the standards. Why does it say on the box its bluetooth, when its been designed not to work with standard bluetooth,  of course I know because you will say because its better.

The problem is Apple takes security seriously and those are the consequences.   If there is no hardware locking mechanisms, everything you needed to hack into an iPhone was changing the screen with a hacked one for breaking the face-ID.

Could not find anything on the internet about that, I thought the function of face-ID, would be done by the central processor using data from the Screen, so swapping the screen should make no difference. But I may be wrong on this. 

In any case, if you are worried about hacking like this, set it up to to use a PIN, more hassle I know, but its supposed to be the safest method to lock your device. Also you would have to be be very determined hacker to get into the device like that, I guess most people are just not worried about it.

The alternative is making phones that are easily hackable.

The "you pay more" is not really true for their entry and mid level devices.   Apple does not make $200 phones and people go and compare their iPhones with Samsung Js.  Or they compared the Macbooks with $400 Windows laptops.   The Macbook Air M1 even if it is a 2020 device is still GREAT for that price.

Once you buy, apple will make you know the advantages of buying ibuds and apple TV, you just get sucked fur and further in, they tell you its better to get you in, but its really a trick to get you to buy stuff. Like slowing down older iphones, was done to get you to upgrade, while telling you they want to improve the battery by giving you  a slower machine, and of course not allowing the owner of the iphone a menu to change those settings, bastards

9 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Half agree with you on further investigation 

ibuds can be used on Android, but with limited functionality 

If you buy AirPods (that's the name), they will work with Android as normal Bluetooth ear/ headphones.

Of course the functionality would be "limited", because for the rest of the functionality you need an Apple device.    For example, the most loved functionality is that the same AirPods will work with all the Apple devices you have with no re-pairing needed   So you can be listening to music on your iPad while working on your Macbook, and you receive a phone or facetime call on your iPhone, you can take the phone call from your iPhone on your Macbook, the music will stop playing, you finish your phone call and the music continues from the other device.

Some Bluetooth headphone manufactures have nowadays implemented to be able to be connected to two devices but it is not as transparent as it is in And and it is limited to two.   

And to be honest, comparing my Sony MX4s with the AirPods Pro, the MX4 slightly wins in sound quality and ANC but they lose big time in terms of functionality.

See here https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/01/do-airpods-work-with-android/#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20can%20use%20Apple,any%20Bluetooth%2Denabled%20Android%20device.

Couple of years ago, I went to my brothers house for Christmas, he took several photos there and asked if I would like to have them, I said yes, so we tried to connect his iphone with me Android phone, we tried a long time but could not get them to connect, I had used bluetooth with another Andriod phone, before that. In the end, he simply sent the pics by email to me. I just assumed Apple does not fully implement bluetooth like Android does. I assume Apple does this to get you to buy more apple products, but I fully accept your argument that its just aplle wants a 'better' standard and cannot get the standard changed. But my view is that then apple should should have software that supports both the standard version and the improved apple version of the software, rather than calling it bluetooth and its apple version does not do what the strandard says.

Looking at this further, it seems you need to download an app called bump to both devices to do this (https://smallbusiness.chron.com/bluetooth-file-sharing-iphone-android-32333.html). But I take the view, it it says on the box that it supports bluetooth then it should work out of the box, which it does with Android, but not with Apple.

Like I said above apple does not support bluetooth to the standards they put their own version in, which means it not compatible with Android or the standards. Why does it say on the box its bluetooth, when its been designed not to work with standard bluetooth,  of course I know because you will say because its better.

There is no standard to transfer photos via Bluetooth.  Every manufacturer have implemented their own (sucky) way to do it and they might not work across devices, they call it Bluetooth Transfer File or Bluetooth Share.    And Bluetooth is not the best way to transfer files anyway.

Could not find anything on the internet about that, I thought the function of face-ID, would be done by the central processor using data from the Screen, so swapping the screen should make no difference. But I may be wrong on this. 

The face-ID reader is integrated in the screen.  So the screen can send anything to the "central processor" if it is hacked.

The only way to prevent this is to have only approved screens and to have a hardware lock, your phone will be "attached" to the screen ID and it will only react to the screen it is paired to.

If you swap the screen your phone will know the screen you have now does not belong to it.   The solution is to update the phone screen ID lock to the new ID.   Apple is the one doing these updates, they have a database of all phones.   But to be fair, since Apple created the authorized repaired centers, those repair centers have the access to this database and they can make the update as well.

So if people are still complaining about this is because either you are using a non-authorized repair center of because they are installing fake (non original) screens, which happens a lot.

In any case, if you are worried about hacking like this, set it up to to use a PIN, more hassle I know, but its supposed to be the safest method to lock your device. Also you would have to be be very determined hacker to get into the device like that, I guess most people are just not worried about it.

You can't compare the safety of face-ID with a PIN.  Well YOU can, I guess.

Apple compromised in the past, fake screens were allowed and you only lost few functionality, like Truetone.   But it seems it was decided security was more important.   Haters will tell you it is just Apple milking the market, but if you actually go and check how much Apple charge for changing a screen and how much the screen costs you will see that Apple is not charging that much, and actually it is difficult for independent repairs to compete with Apple in this.

Once you buy, apple will make you know the advantages of buying ibuds and apple TV, you just get sucked fur and further in.

Yes, it happens to me, and I am not happy.  But the alternative is Windows + Android (which I do as well), and I honestly think Apple's ecosystem is vastly superior and it makes me angry.

P.S., I think I am wasting time here, I am discussing Apple products with people who do not use them and base their hate on Google searchs.

54 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I think batteries should be swappable, everything else not really.

Of course apple will prevent you swapping a battery, because they want the work in the end, they will tell you its because it hard to put the phone back together and keep its IP68 water and dust protection as a home user, but Android plays the same game now...

Again my point is that I paid for that device its mine, if I want to fix something inside I should be allowed to buy the parts and fix it myself. I had an S2 as my first smartphone after a couple of years the battery was draining fast. I put the symptoms into the internet and it, said it was a common fault. and suggested change one of the capacitors of the main board. I bought the capacitor and found it would be too difficult to fix myself. But I am lucky at work we have a big lab which can work on small circuit boards, I asked one one the guys in there to change it, which he did. It worked fine for several years after that.

Buy stopping selling parts and making it that you have to have it done by apple, it just means third party repair people cannot do it either who can be cheaper than apple, which keeps a nice profit for apple, sorry I meant to say apple are looking after  your best interests.

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Of course apple will prevent you swapping a battery, because they want the work in the end, they will tell you its because it hard to put the phone back together and keep its IP68 water and dust protection as a home user, but Android plays the same game now...

Again my point is that I paid for that device its mine, if I want to fix something inside I should be allowed to buy the parts and fix it myself. I had an S2 as my first smartphone after a couple of years the battery was draining fast. I put the symptoms into the internet and it, said it was a common fault. and suggested change one of the capacitors of the main board. I bought the capacitor and found it would be too difficult to fix myself. But I am lucky at work we have a big lab which can work on small circuit boards, I asked one one the guys in there to change it, which he did. It worked fine for several years after that.

Buy stopping selling parts and making it that you have to have it done by apple, it just means third party repair people cannot do it either who can be cheaper than apple, which keeps a nice profit for apple, sorry I meant to say apple are looking after  your best interests.

Sorry but this is a bunch of nonsense.

Apple will sell you all the parts you want, they have nowadays plenty of tutorials on how to fix the stuff.  And the best, you can rent from them the correct tools you need to do your repair correctly.   Including the giant machine you need to open the phone without damaging it.

I think you are living in the past and are not aware of all the changes Apple did when their created their self repair program.

https://support.apple.com/self-service-repair

And the irony is that only Apple does this, and they are still the bad ones in the eyes of the haters.

18 hours ago, Krieg said:

I am as well thinking in a new phone.   I will probably give up on Android and go back to an iPhone since I am already way to in into the Apple ecosystem.  But this is a bad timing, the iPhone 14 is way too expensive due to the US dollar being so strong and it is not really much better than the iPhone 13.

So buy the 13. It should be getting cheaper, or?

Just now, fraufruit said:

So buy the 13. It should be getting cheaper, or?

I want (actually kind of need because of my bad eyes) the big screen version.   And with the iPhone 14 they have a non-pro with big screen, which is good, in theory, except for the new prices.  

From the 13 version the only option with big screen was the pro version ($$$).    And they stop selling that one, they sell only the normal 13 nowadays.

Anyway, #firstworldproblems