Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I want to call the press: I was promised a Kindergarten place for 8 hours per day

37 posts in this topic

Expectations... hmm... you will find the following comment unhelpful and it will not improve your mood, but for the sake of perspective I will dare to say it anyway.

Nobody owes you anything.

The vain promises of politicians are just that.

For what it s worth, I do sympathise with your plight.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

Expectations... hmm... you will find the following comment unhelpful and it will not improve your mood, but for the sake of perspective I will dare to say it anyway.

Nobody owes you anything.

The vain promises of politicians are just that.

For what it s worth, I do sympathise with your plight.

Um... my taxes pay for the kindergarten. So telling me a few weeks in advance that I won't have a place is something I should expect from a civilized society, no? It is not the politicians here, it is the kindergarten staff that tallied the places. Don;t tell me they didn;t know in advance that i would not get a place? Please

I don't get the comments here. Are we supposed to just bow down to stupidity? Since when it is okay for the system to screw us, but if we want to screw the system, we get nailed right away? Since when we need to acquiesce to such bull?

6 minutes ago, Proton Anna said:

Um... my taxes pay for the kindergarten.

So do everybody else's. And they still have the same problem. It is not "the system" that screws you. It is the desperate need for additional kindergarten personnel. Which is indeed an issue that has been caused by failed policies in the last decades. But it will not be solved in a few months. 

Most people here are trying to tell you that going to the press will not make any difference because the problem itself is not news. 

You pays your taxes but what civilised (it s not, by the way) 'society' provides will never please all the people all the time. And they still owe you nothing.

You did say there is a place, but just 4 hours instead of the 8 you are seeking.

Sadly, staffing issues affect so many places like kindergartens. ( Not to mention clinics, hospitals etc!)

There is a safety regulation for staff numbers per children, to ensure safe, adequate care. 

Sometimes, staffing and available places may not be known well in advance.

You do have the option of half a day and the rest at home  with you. This is not a unique problem to you, and many single parents have to juggle life and work. 

It is hard and I feel sympathy, but I can only see bad feelings and less support if you try and create a press storm.

( Even if the press are interested).

1 hour ago, Proton Anna said:

Um... my taxes pay for the kindergarten.

You need to look up the German definition of "taxes": https://wirtschaftslexikon.gabler.de/definition/steuern-45766

• Definition: Was ist "Steuern"?

öffentliche Abgaben, die ein Gemeinwesen kraft Zwangsgewalt in einseitig festgesetzter Höhe und (anders als bei Gebühren und Beiträgen) ohne Gewährung einer Gegenleistung von natürlichen und juristischen Personen seines Gebietsbereichs erhebt

• Definition: What are "taxes"?
    Public charges levied by a community by virtue of coercive power in a unilaterally fixed amount from natural and legal persons within its territory without granting anything in return (unlike fees and contributions, for which you do get something in return).

There's alot of good advice being said above but let's break it down...

Stat attack:

@Proton Anna has started 10 topics about herself.

@Proton Anna has made 82 posts at this exact moment in time. 81 posts on her own starting threads.

@Proton Anna has made 1 reply post on a thread she didn't start.

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The other thing is that calling the press will only invite more drama into your already drama-filled life.

Let it go.

Wise words, that you should reflect on @Proton Anna, from a lady with a now electric-powered, self-stabising turnip on her Carmen Miranda.

But ultimately, your sense of entitlement on TT, and in real life, is unbelieveable. Really.

For your reference; I've worked in a Kita for 10 years. I know the problems parents are facing. The problems are not all about you.

There's been lots of good suggestions on this thread. Take them onboard.

I don t know the OP but your last post is clearly ad hominem or rather ad feminam. 

Single mother with big problem and fuel in her rocket. I m guessing she will mellow with age.

23 hours ago, Proton Anna said:

My weiterbildung was due to end by October and then I would start to look for work with my new acquired skills. 

So the initial problem is just until the end of October. After that you could start by finding work in the mornings only. Not perfect at all, but a start.

Have you asked the Kiga in the next village about just until the end of October? 

The press are not going to help - approaching them is not 'a thing you can do' because it's not a thing - your case, although really very difficult, is not news-worthy, it is in fact unfortunately common. 

This is a local issue - something unexpected has happened to the staffing in that Kiga, and they informed you when they knew. This was far too late for your purposes.

I agree you should get one of the places in the next village until the end of October, for your Weiterbildung. That is the thing to pursue, politely. The press can't help with that. 

If you piss everyone off, you won't get the fulltime place in Feb. if it comes up.

When your son starts school, is it full day, or is there a Hort or do you need to get him down on a Tagesmutter waiting list right now? Just thinking forward here, otherwise this problem isn't going to end for years.

14 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

ohne Gewährung einer Gegenleistung

well, I no longer feel bad about the stories kid#3 comes home with from her entirely tax-funded existence :lol:

I can;t believe some of the mean replies from this site. How am I self-entitled? 

How is okay to find out 2 weeks before my kid is about to start kindergarten that his schedule has been changed? It was actually not even two weeks before, it was on the day eh started with the eingewöhnung. Don;t tell me they didn't know beforehand. They just didn't bother to call me. 

And how is this a short staff situation? The kindergarten next door is half empty. And there are Tagesmütter that I could have tried to book should I have known in advance?

What's wrong with you people? Do you make it your life purpose to belittle others? Have you even read my original post? 

Say you go to the store, you order an item, you wait for it to be delivered and then, when you already have it, you are told you have to pay double for it. Are you telling me you won;t complain? But hey, according to some of you here, would would be self-entitled to do so. You would have to bow your head down and say oh well, that's just the way it is. 

I was born during in a communist country. That's the way it was there too, everyone had to just shut up and shallow whatever shit they were given. Let me tell you how great of a culture that was, and how long it lasted. 

If you don't have a constructive reply, don't answer. Find another hobby to release your life frustration. 

I get Kindergartens are short staffed. I get that sometimes whole groups gets closed down due to illness. I worked in the medical field where we were so short staffed that by the end of the way we literally fell asleep near our patients trying to finish our work. This is not an example of this. This is an example of arrogance and poor planning. 

Jeez Louise!

RE: constructive replies- you are getting them, just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they aren't constructive.

I have an idea- you could not do whatever Weiterbildung you are doing, and go work at your local Kita- boom! You solved your own problem, and maybe the problem for other people too! You'll be a hero in Pfaffenhofen!

Just now, BobbyDigital said:

Jeez Louise!

RE: constructive replies- you are getting them, just because you don't like them, doesn't mean they aren't constructive.

I have an idea- you could not do whatever Weiterbildung you are doing, and go work at your local Kita- boom! You solved your own problem, and maybe the problem for other people too! You'll be a hero in Pfaffenhofen!

I started my Weiterbildung in April when I was informed I would have a full time place in September. That's the problem. Should I have known... 

I guess I should like your reply too, that it is my fault. 

I would love to work at the Kita. I need a 5 year Ausbildung for that. Thank you for the constructive reply.

1 hour ago, Proton Anna said:

Say you go to the store, you order an item, you wait for it to be delivered and then, when you already have it, you are told you have to pay double for it. Are you telling me you won;t complain? But hey, according to some of you here, would would be self-entitled to do so. You would have to bow your head down and say oh well, that's just the way it is.

That's not a very good analogy to your situation. Let me give a better one:

Say you sign a contract to get DSL internet 50Mbps starting October 2022, and set up a standing order for the monthly contract repayments.

Say you then sign a contract to work for a company doing 100% home-office, making full use of your internet connection, also starting October 2022.

Say the Friday before your work contract starts, the internet service provider still hasn't hooked up your internet connection - or maybe they have, but they're only delivering 8Mbps and it isn't enough for the kind of work you're contracted to do from home.

Is the situation shitty? Yes - every single person who replied on this thread has agreed that it's not nice, either explicitly or implicitly.

Is it your fault? No - not a single person who replied on this thread has said that you are to blame.

Can you do anything about it? Possibly - many suggestions provided above, most of which you seem to have tried already. So, perhaps there's nothing which will solve the problem and you have no option but to work around the problem.

Do 1000's of people around the country find themselves in similar positions? Yes.

And finally, would the press publish your story? Possibly, but very unlikely. It's been written and read often enough. Everybody already sympathizes with parents struggling to get sufficient care for their children.

People who make decisions at the Kindergartens are human. They try their best and make as few mistakes as possible. We have had to apply months when not years in advance at every step of our child's development, and sometimes we've been turned down and had plans changed at the last minute. Sometimes we've worked around the problem. Sometimes we've pushed, contacted the decision makers and explained our circumstances, and sometimes it has helped, sometimes it hasn't.

Good luck with resolving your problem.

The replies on this thread are meant to be constructive. I wouldn’t call it entitled, but rather you are stuck in victim mentality. I get it. I went through a really rough divorce. Everything seems to be so unfair. 

But going to the press isn’t going to solve your problem. It’s better that you use your energy to solve your immediate problem. I really suggest you get a social worker. They have so much access to help you can get. 

I guess I disagree.  I say go to the press and see what happens.  If they blow you off, that avenue is then closed.  If they print your story, things might change, but maybe not in your favor.  The kita(s) might retaliate and all doors might close.  On the other hand, like you say, other parents might be made aware of your plight and plan accordingly.

I've written my share of letters to the editor and none have been published.