Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Which electricity provider to go for in September 2022?

2 posts in this topic

New apartment - time to sort out electricity. Blog posts all over the internet tell me go get a contract in order to save money. However, now seems to be a very unusual time in the energy market.

The Grundversorger-Tarif from Vattenfall, which applies by default if I don't sign a contract (right?), is now at 28,82 Cent/kWh. In October, it will rise to 33.12 Cent/kWh.

This is far lower than the cheapest long-term contract, I can find, which is from Vattenfall at around 45 Cent/kWh. I will not enjoy paying this rate over the cheap summer months, or if the energy market stabilizes in general.

Of course the Grundversorger-Tarif will keep rising this winter, but it doesn't seem unreasonable that the average over a whole year will still stay below 45. If it reaches a peak of 60 (almost double of October's rate), I'd feel pretty comfortable with it. If it reaches 180, that's a different story.

Is it likely to go that high? Is there a legal limit to how much it can be raised in one month? Is it likely that the German government would step in and subsidize people's bills? I realize that nobody really knows this, and that it comes down to guesses, but perhaps someone is more familiar with the matter than me.

I spoke to my Grundversorger (N-Ergie) last week and they said that they have to inform me (in writing) of any price rises 6 weeks in advance and that no rises were immediately planned.
As I've not had any letters so far it looks like the price will be stable until the start of November at least.
Looking on Check24, Vattenfall want 68,75 Cent/kWh for a 12 month contract and Elogico (whoever they are) want 164,11 Cent/kWh :lol: