Queen Elizabeth

251 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

14 hr. slow walk without drinks or toilets. Yikes!

You get an armband with your place on it.  So you can go and get food, and go to one of the portoloos.  And there is quite a lot of community spirit. 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

TREASON.  Off with your head.

Since when is a portoloo a toilet? I used to work construction. Those days are over. 

Reminds me - my dad had a friend who owned a portolet company. His friend claimed that his portolets were so clean that you could dunk for apples in them.

34 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Reminds me - my dad had a friend who owned a portolet company. His friend claimed that his portolets were so clean that you could dunk for apples in them.

Them weren't no apples...

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

David Beckham spent 12 hours in the queue (starting at 2am) and was not complaining.

Wouldn't it be far better to simply drive the coffin around the streets? Far more people would see. Or alternatively, just do the whole thing on the internet.

2 hours ago, HEM said:

David Beckham spent 12 hours in the queue (starting at 2am) and was not complaining.

How do you know he didn't complain?

8 hours ago, kiplette said:

Interesting. I thought they had planned for a 10 mile route in advance, although it does make sense to limit waiting times somewhat. I suppose when they planned it they didn't know how fast/slow it would move given that they are allowing people to briefly pause at the coffin and those seconds add up.

Props to those who are doing essentially a 14 hour very slow walk with little opportunity to sit down. Impressive. I am kind of glad we are here and going in person never came up as an option. I hope everyone who wants to go gets the chance to. It is truly an historic moment no matter how you personally stand on the issue of monarchy. 

I do wonder how many of those queueing are doing it because it will be an "I was there" moment in the future rather than because of any feelings they have for the Queen.

6 minutes ago, Keleth said:

I do wonder how many of those queueing are doing it because it will be an "I was there" moment in the future rather than because of any feelings they have for the Queen.

Indeed, the same simpleminded losers that stood on their doorsteps and clapped for the NHS.

My neighbours did this, but all the time were looking up and down the street looking to see if they were being patriotic enough.

Nobody wanted to be the first person to stop clapping.

I think she made rather a good job of staying neutral and impartial above politics.   At least we didn't have any revolutions under her. If it was just left to the politcians, I dread to think where the UK would be today. I don't think someone like Steinmaier would work in Britain.  Their politcial baggage would be too much for most.  But I think Charles has got a very hard act to follow. As I heard one commentator say, for him its downhill from here. 

and ol beady shifty eyed Camila, so uncomfortable in the processions, wasn’t quite ready for the spotlight.

6 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

I think she made rather a good job of staying neutral and impartial above politics.

Well let´s be honest,as a monarch with no power that´s not particularly hard to do is it.

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Sounds like voting in some U.S. states.

One wonders whether we might use the word "serving" as it is used in the US.

"Karl III is SERVING as monarch of.. etc usw".

A couple of his relatives, Their Royal Highnesses Andrew and Harold, on the other hand, are "NON-WORKING" members of the extensive royal family.

"Non-working" = unemployed?

8 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

I think she made rather a good job of staying neutral and impartial above politics.   At least we didn't have any revolutions under her. If it was just left to the politcians, I dread to think where the UK would be today. I don't think someone like Steinmaier would work in Britain.  Their politcial baggage would be too much for most.  But I think Charles has got a very hard act to follow. As I heard one commentator say, for him its downhill from here. 

What are you talking about? It is left up to the politicians; the monarch doesn't control anything. I think the defining moment was in 2019 when Boris Johnson decided to suspend parliamentary democracy. If there was one argument for a monarchy it's that there should be somebody outside of politics, and not tainted by political baggage as you put it, who can do things like uphold the principles of democracy when faced with a tyrant in Number 10. But when it was put to the test she either wouldn't or couldn't do anything and in fact the courts took on that responsibility.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

One wonders whether we might use the word "serving" as it is used in the US.

"Karl III is SERVING as monarch of.. etc usw".

A couple of his relatives, Their Royal Highnesses Andrew and Harold, on the other hand, are "NON-WORKING" members of the extensive royal family.

"Non-working" = unemployed?

Who is Harold?  My mom used to read these magazines bearing gossip of the royal families of Europe so I grew up thinking they were all my cousins but I don't remember a Harold.  As for what Andrew is doing with his time, I don't know.  Just because he's no longer in the family business doesn't mean he's not doing anything.  But they are probably rich enough for him not having to go on benefits if he can't find work.

44 minutes ago, Dembo said:

What are you talking about? It is left up to the politicians; the monarch doesn't control anything. I think the defining moment was in 2019 when Boris Johnson decided to suspend parliamentary democracy. If there was one argument for a monarchy it's that there should be somebody outside of politics, and not tainted by political baggage as you put it, who can do things like uphold the principles of democracy when faced with a tyrant in Number 10. But when it was put to the test she either wouldn't or couldn't do anything and in fact the courts took on that responsibility.

Iceland's political system was built to the Danish one which has a royal family but the royal family was replaced with a fairly powerless president.  The only power of the president is to refuse to sign law.  If he or she does, the government either has to withdraw the bill and try to pass it again later with changes or it goes to a referandum.  The first 60 years of Icelandic presidency, no president ever used this power.  Most of them were non political and did not feel it was in their job description.  Then they got a political president for once and he decided to start using it.  Not just for everything, he only did it twice as far as I know for law that was disputed and he didn't think the public would agree with.  In the first case, the government withdrew the bill, in the other it went to a referandum and failed there.