Queen Elizabeth

251 posts in this topic

The trills left a bit of a void. And the same three tunes... over and over... and they still needed sheet music ? They did well to keep going non-stop though.

18 hours ago, tor said:

so there seem to be grumblings about the name Charles chose. Some think he should have chosen King Philip II, to honor his father. I have no idea about this. Thoughts? 

He could choose one of his other names.

Edward VIII- first name was David.

Whatever feelings about the monarchy-  some respect and sympathy to the family and to her long service.  She was my Queen, and Charles is now my King. 

18 hours ago, tor said:

so there seem to be grumblings about the name Charles chose. Some think he should have chosen King Philip II, to honor his father. I have no idea about this. Thoughts? 

Yeah, he's been going by Charles all these years, why change it now?  His other names include George and Arthur he could have picked as well. 

Edward viii first name was actually Edward but one of his given names was David and he was apparently referred to as David by his close family.  

18 hours ago, tor said:

He could choose one of his other names. He has several .

Edward VIII- stand corrected! As Leon said- family called him David.

I thought it had been decided many years or decades ago that he would be Charles III. There were some suggestions that it would be an unlucky name after what happened to the previous two  and perhaps even tempting fate. 

3 hours ago, optimista said:

And the same three tunes... over and over... and they still needed sheet music ?

Presumably it's got useful markings on about pace, volume and whatever the bandmaster has said about whatever. Like don't scuff the sand etc. 

That stuff is easy to forget under pressure.

Same tunes - it's not entertainment, it's keeping the pace and sombre mood. As soon as it becomes noticeable, it's overstepped its mark, really. Phil the Greek had the same dirges I think (?) Proper Ohrwurmer - I will be going 'duh, duh der duh' for weeks again.

King Charles III, will not pay tax on the immense wealth he has inherited from The Queen.  Perhaps he should be called Charles the Evader. Just sayin' ...

Being a royal seems like a poisoned chalice to me. All this talk of them having immense wealth and don't have to work...would you want to be the King? I wouldn't. To have to live a life defined by rules and pomp and pageantry. Constant public engagements. Public speaking. Public scrutiny 24/7. I wouldn't do that job for a million pounds a year. The dudes mum just died and he has to spend the next 10 days bazzing around the country giving speeches...fuck that.

The Tories cost the public purse a lot more in giving PPE contracts to their buddies than royalty costs us. And we even voted for those clowns.

On 9/14/2022, 12:05:19, kaffeemitmilch said:

Didn't know there was a Philip I, or is the implication that his dad was the first? I don't know the convention regarding this.

Besides the Duke of Edinburgh, the closest a Philip ever came to the British throne was when Philip II of Spain was married to Elizabeth I's sister, Mary.

I doubt they will last much longer. The scrutinising press has failed to comment on Meghan s almost cowed appearance behind a grim faced Kate and tense looking Wills at yesterday's event. Charles' inky fingers a sign he s near breaking... schoolboy prank by the master of the pen or chronic mobbing behind the scenes ? The cracks are there if you care to look.

Gosh, the monarchy have throughout history shown gaping chasms much bigger than the absolutely understandable stress we are seeing at the moment. 

No doubt they are all near breaking. 

2 hours ago, theGman said:

I wouldn't do that job for a million pounds a year. The dudes mum just died and he has to spend the next 10 days bazzing around the country giving speeches

It's a horrible gig. Golden birdcage for life. Awful.

They just lost their matriarch and are on show to all. No wonder a leaky pen upset him.

He's 73. His peers have reached the stage where they couldn't give a toss about being completely honest in public, and he has to do the exact opposite, and switch on his happy robot face at all times.

The flood of grief from the death of Queen Elizabeth II forced the British government to call a temporarily halt to people joining a miles-long line to file past her coffin as it lay in state Friday, hours before King Charles III and his siblings were to stand vigil in the historic Westminster Hall.

A live tracker of the queue said it was “at capacity” and entry was being "paused” for six hours as waiting times reached 14 hours and the line stretched 5 miles (8km) from Parliament to Southwark Park in south London and then around the park.

here

Interesting. I thought they had planned for a 10 mile route in advance, although it does make sense to limit waiting times somewhat. I suppose when they planned it they didn't know how fast/slow it would move given that they are allowing people to briefly pause at the coffin and those seconds add up.

Props to those who are doing essentially a 14 hour very slow walk with little opportunity to sit down. Impressive. I am kind of glad we are here and going in person never came up as an option. I hope everyone who wants to go gets the chance to. It is truly an historic moment no matter how you personally stand on the issue of monarchy. 

On 9/15/2022, 10:33:23, kiplette said:

Awful.

Life is awful for most people my friend. Even if they delude themselves that it's worth living, and an amazing gift. Posh. Better then to be in a gilded cage than a cesspit.