Queen Elizabeth

251 posts in this topic

I got a little misty... but....one for the Yanks...

631a4107f11e5_charlesincharge1.jpg.27de8

too soon? 

What we can expect is blanket coverage over all media, forced closure of events and mass hysteria from the public...

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

Brits are lousy at lots of things but pomp and ceremony are pretty well covered.

I’m sure of it, but why is their no ceremony for Charles to be sworn in as King?

11 days to start in the UK.   Going to see the train go by is fine.    The actual ceremonies and music I find touching and sad, but rather lovely.  But the endless waffe.  The TV footage should be without commentary.  It is much better.  And you can feel like you are there.  Without the crap.

13 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I’m sure of it, but why is their no ceremony for Charles to be sworn in as King?

Monarchs are not sworn in. They ascend the throne.

Charles became king the second Elizabeth died. Incidentally she became queen while in Africa

Charles will have a grand old coronation, and it will be a massive happy party.

Which is why his coronation will be a decent few months after Elizabeth's death.

I was born and bred in protesant Northern Ireland. Loyalty to King Billy, Orange Men and especially ER II.

However, I never grew up to be a rabid royalist.

But her profile was always there; on stamps and the reverse of coins for the whole of my life.

She added stability to a sometimes fucked up Britain. Many times.

I think a little part of me will miss her.

35 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

There will be. Let him bury his mum first.

I'm an American and thus certainly not a monarchist.
But:
I've lived with the image of Queen Elizabeth my entire life.

She already headed "the firm" when I was a child, and I grew up with her young profile on the occasional  Canadian (and later British) coins I encountered.  She intrigued me for being a rare female Head of State in a world of powerful men, and I was greatly surprised to later learn about a very successful ER I as well.
She was a last echo of the days of WW2, too. I admired her for having trained as a car mechanic back then. I admired her even more when she insisted on driving a Land Rover in Saudi Arabia , flaunting the local law that banned women from the steering wheel and making Crown Prince Abdullah very uncomfortable. ;)
And her subtle snubs of Trump made me laugh. :D

5 hours ago, Metall said:

She intrigued me for being a rare female Head of State in a world of powerful men, and I was greatly surprised to later learn about a very successful ER I as well.

You make that sound like some kind of achievement. She became head of state in a world of powerful men because her parents had no sons and she was older than her sister. 

I am not a monarchist and I see no advantage of monarchy at all. WW1 was a fuckup that monarchs didn't prevent, despite being on holidays together frequently. It even started with the assassination of a monarch.

If they can't even prevent wars (not to mention when starting them!), then what do we need them for?

10 hours ago, clickety6 said:

Agreed, she may not be a saint. But considering the swathe of deplorable cunts that have been ruling many of our countries in more recent times, I would say we definitely lucked out with Queen Elizabeth. She was head of state for 70 years and I would say that she dealt with that, through ever changing times, very well indeed. Especially considering this is a job that is thrust upon you.

Or basically as Chelski said:

10 hours ago, Chelski said:

She added stability to a sometimes fucked up Britain. Many times.

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Coronation takes many months to come about. He's automatically King Kong.

looking forward to hearing Zadok the Priest. Good tune. Someone in the music industry with some commercial acumen should do a cover and make millions... and bring a bit of high culture to the masses. I fancy Freddie Mercury and Queen would have done it justice. Anybody got Brian ' s number ? Failing that, Metall, Tor ? I could step in on the flugel if you pressed me hard. It needs a flugel.

16 hours ago, optimista said:

Ok, who can actually sing the first verse of the National Anthem without looking at the hymnal ?

I can, and I'll bet that any other Brit of my generation can do so.

The national anthem and Lord's prayer were among the first things we were taught at school

God save King Charles III...

12 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Monarchs are not sworn in. They ascend the throne.

Charles became king the second Elizabeth died. Incidentally she became queen while in Africa

Charles will have a grand old coronation, and it will be a massive happy party.

Which is why his coronation will be a decent few months after Elizabeth's death.

16 hours ago, optimista said:

Ok, who can actually sing the first verse of the National Anthem without looking at the hymnal ?

I can, and I'll bet that any other Brit of my generation can do so.

The national anthem and Lord's prayer were among the first things we were taught at school

God save King Charles III...