Queen Elizabeth

251 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Keleth said:

Also care to show examples of them interfering in politics?

And no stuff like Charles saying we should bring in policies to help the environment is not them interfering.

Are you trolling me or are you a retard? This has been posted before, or again, Google is your friend.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/08/royals-vetted-more-than-1000-laws-via-queens-consent

Night Night.

8 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

What I'm saying is if instead of a monarch, you had say Tony Blair or Heseltine acting as state president it would never work. A president would only ever be someone with political baggage, and they would make things worse. Nearly all politicians are inherently divisive.  Maybe having a monarchy has helped the UK avoid having the rather bloody history of certain other European countries.  

They can't make anything worse if they can't do anything. If the role of head of state is simply to sign whatever they're told to sign, then it doesn't matter who does it. A Blair or Heseltine would certainly be less well liked than QEII, but that doesn't really make any difference to the consitutional role. And a president with a limited term would probably not be trying to get opt outs for their own self interest in the way we know the monarch has. 

OTOH if a PM decided again to try to suspend parliamentary democracy a President Blair or Heseltine would almost certainly say no; even if it cost them the job it would be a point of principle for them. 

And you could argue the UK has the bloodiest history of all nations.

26 minutes ago, Dembo said:

They can't make anything worse if they can't do anything. If the role of head of state is simply to sign whatever they're told to sign, then it doesn't matter who does it. A Blair or Heseltine would certainly be less well liked than QEII, but that doesn't really make any difference to the consitutional role. And a president with a limited term would probably not be trying to get opt outs for their own self interest in the way we know the monarch has. 

OTOH if a PM decided again to try to suspend parliamentary democracy a President Blair or Heseltine would almost certainly say no; even if it cost them the job it would be a point of principle for them. 

And you could argue the UK has the bloodiest history of all nations.

On 9/17/2022, 9:46:40, Dembo said:

On the bloody history, depends how far you go back, but I was thinking of the modern era.  If a President like Blair or Heseltine were to step in and stop a Government in its tracks, it could get a great deal messier than them just being out of a job.  To use a good German phrase I sometimes use when discussing the UK system, "es funktioniert fuer den UK"! 

20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

And our friend john g takes irrelevance to a new level.

You've truly outdone yourself, john.

:D

I try hard to stay on topic!😂

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

Also care to show examples of them interfering in politics?

And no stuff like Charles saying we should bring in policies to help the environment is not them interfering.

There is a strain of opinion that Charles might turn out to be fairly popular with young people because of his long-standing views on the environment.

On 08/09/2022, 23:12:21, MadAxeMurderer said:

Monarchs are not sworn in. They ascend the throne.

Charles became king the second Elizabeth died. Incidentally she became queen while in Africa

Charles will have a grand old coronation, and it will be a massive happy party.

Which is why his coronation will be a decent few months after Elizabeth's death.

It has taken me over a week! I have just realised what made me laugh😂.

Monarchs ascend TO the throne! Mere mortals ( athletes, vandals, amateur cathedral swallowers trying out their physical prowess ) ascend the throne! I personally would fail and probably damage the throne whilst falling and need to contact my private Haftpflicht provider!😂

( Sly ending to this silly post, oder?)🤓😃

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

Black Rods job is restricting access to Parliament be it to strangers or royalty and maintaining discipline in the commons.

The King could from Buckingham Palace could try to command Parliament to dissolve or whatever and it would have nothing to do with Black Rod.

The slamming of the door you mentioned is as they say a bit of theatre but it´s the door slamming that's the point nothing to do with Black Rod.

It is indeed a bit of theatre! ( Loads of non-Brits I used to teach English to in London loved this bit of theatre! )😂

And we come from a country where surgical operations are carried out in a theatre!!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/sep/18/it-puts-you-in-touch-with-your-own-losses-the-power-of-collective-grief-from-the-queen-to-george-floyd-to-covid

This is worth a read. I went from pro-Monarchy in my youth to radical fuck-you in my student days to basically indifference and anyway in somebody else's country ( and happily!).

I have never bothered with reading Royal news.

I did shed tears upon reading about the death of the Queen. Why?

Now I understand more. 

Watching part of the ceremony in Westminster Abbey. That’s a long sit. They invited every bishop and reverend of the country having a speech it seems. In between psalms. George and Charlotte also present. 

If you want to bitch, please start your own thread.

Back on topic

3 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Only just seen the RCMP were taking part.

Yeah, four Mounties (two male, two female) led the London procession throughout.

24 minutes ago, Chelski said:

Yeah, four Mounties (two male, two female) led the London procession throughout.

She loved the Mounties.  Mainly I guess because of the horsey thing.  And they used horses that the Mounties had gifted to her that had been living here for a while.   

Most beautiful.

They must all be absolutely shattered. 

Still the private burial to go this evening.