buying a new computer

30 posts in this topic

The salesmen is right.
To play Chess you need 8GB because the PC might choke due to high level of CPU power.
If you're play on Chess.com or Lichess and you analize your games using the engine, you will see that your PC is starting to choke with 4GB.

As a Chess player and a professional IT engineer, do yourself a favor and invest 200 Euros more on a decent PC which will also serve you in your Chess life and also in years to come.
I'll be happy to play with you Chess and also advice on some nice models if you want.

You're welcomed to be in touch.

Cheers.

Humm, I remember play chess on my Acron Atom in the very early 80's with 6 K ram !!! and  a 6502 processor, sometimes it would beat me, but I also could win.

Some years later, came a commadore 64 with again 6502 processor and 64k RAM, if I selected the highest play standard from the Chess program, I could never beat it.

Obviously over the last 40 years, hardware got quite a bit better and probably the chess algorithm's as well, I used to play chess for my school team.

I am quite sure you can download chess to an android or apple phone.

I guess the main difference between then and now, is I used a home computer, with a TV, and of course a laptop has that built in, I guess the money gets used up on a nice screen. but fail to understand how machines, could play a good game of chess 40 years ago, while you are told a machine cannot play chess with only 4GB. I guess much on the memory is used on the graphics.

If I were you, I would try to find many chess clubs out on the internet and ask them if they have any experience of using  chess on a chromebook, as it seems to me nobody actually does it on this website, so they do not really have an answer.

I tend to agree with others on this site, its always better to have a more powerful machine, but if you do not need it, why pay for it ??

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I tend to agree with others on this site, its always better to have a more powerful machine, but if you do not need it, why pay for it ??

The problem is not only if you *really* need something.  I used to think like this for smartphones, in former time I was an iPhone user and then I moved to Android only because I didn't want to carry two phones at the time (work and private) and iPhone had no dual sim support.  I then decided that I didn't need a flag ship phone and used cheap ones.  My current Android phone is a mid-range one.   And I could technically live with something like this, just like I've been doing it for many years.  However the phone is the device I use the most, and probably too much.   So with the time I've changed my mind and decided to go back to iPhone and buy the upcoming iPhone 14.  Because if it is something I use a lot and I want to have the comfort of having a nice one and a better experience.  And they last 3 or 4 years nowadays.

Here the OP mentioned that he/she wants to watch Netflix on the laptop.  No way I would recommend a laptop with a very crappy screen and thin speakers for that.   Life is too short and the difference in price between 200 EUR and 350 EUR is not that extreme so if you can afford it just go for the decent one.

10 minutes ago, Krieg said:

So with the time I've changed my mind and decided to go back to iPhone and buy the upcoming iPhone 14.  Because if it is something I use a lot and I want to have the comfort of having a nice one and a better experience.  And they last 3 or 4 years nowadays.

OK of course, its a free choice for everyone, what I tend to do is buy a second hand phone that was top of the range  when it was new, because it can be 70-80 % cheaper than the price when new, I am opposite to you my phone get switched on maybe for an hour a day, I use it very seldom, except when I think I will get a call ( meeting up with people  outside )or know I will need to of its features( Navigation ). But I do like having a relatively fast experience when I do use it. I can normally get through a whole week or more before I need to charge it again. I keep the phone for 3 or 4 years then look for something else. So far I had in smart phone terms, S2, S5 and Hawaii P20. I have never liked Apple, because the phone is too locked down in concept, I want the control over my phone rather than letting apple decide whats good for me. Sure Apple had a clear lead  at first but I think the difference between IOS and Android is basically the same these days, its just personal preference.

10 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Here the OP mentioned that he/she wants to watch Netflix on the laptop.  No way I would recommend a laptop with a very crappy screen and thin speakers for that.   Life is too short and the difference in price between 200 EUR and 350 EUR is not that extreme so if you can afford it just go for the decent one.

Sure I do not know, but I know I used Chromecast, to project my mobile phone screen to my TV, I guess you can do that with a Chromebook, and sure it will be better than on any Laptop screen.

I bought a new laptop last year, normally I but a mid range laptop, but decided to buy a 1200 Euro Gaming laptop, which is not top of the range and now regret it. The Laptop is big and heavy,  I do play games on it, but since growing up in the 1980 etc. I have a fondness for retro gaming, DOSBOX etc, which I do not need to have such a machine, it just a waste of money...  But I guess it will last me 10 years, which is about the normal time I have before upgrading my laptop.

The OP said he wants a simple laptop, just for chess and a bit of Netflix, sure he /she needs to know the quality of the screen will depend on the price, but he may just accept that as a consequence of buying a cheap machine, I thought he/she said that Netflix was for occasional use anyway

I am still gobsmacked about the minimum requirements being so high when all of it was done in the 1980's, on massively inferior hardware

Well I finally went ahead and bought my new computer. I went for a Lenovo at 200 euros. Reduced from over 300. So far, so good. I can play chess at a decent speed and do all the simple stuff that I need. I only have 2 icons on my screen.  The internet Browser and the Waste Bin. i have never had any software like Microsoft Office. Spreadsheets and Powerpoint and the rest of it are just not for me. I am a digital disaster.

I looked at a Chromebook. I see that their sales are increasing rapidly as word gets around. But I had a Lenovo before and I guess I do not like change. Nor at my age.

On 13/9/2022, 00:22:16, quizhead said:

The salesmen is right.
To play Chess you need 8GB because the PC might choke due to high level of CPU power.
If you're play on Chess.com or Lichess and you analize your games using the engine, you will see that your PC is starting to choke with 4GB.

As a Chess player and a professional IT engineer, do yourself a favor and invest 200 Euros more on a decent PC which will also serve you in your Chess life and also in years to come.
I'll be happy to play with you Chess and also advice on some nice models if you want.

You're welcomed to be in touch.

Cheers.

Lichess doesn't require much cpu.

The analysis can also be done in the cloud.

If you're playing bullet or hyperbullet and  you're worried about every microsecond it might make a difference, otherwise you'd probably be as well off with a Raspberry Pi.

My new computer is fine to watch movies on. Maybe not quite as good as my old 8gb one , but good enough.

I may try to change the settings for this , but I am always afraid that I will not be able to get  back to the original settings if things go wrong