Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Does anyone has experience regarding filing a complaint at the Aerztekammer

12 posts in this topic

I am living in Heidelberg and I need to file a complaint against a psychologist. Long story short, I have joint custody of my son and I had explicitly vetoed this psychologist and even communicated it to her that I do not want her treating my kid as she has very clear biases on the equal custody model and it was clear my ex had chosen her to continue her fight to minimize the access to our kid.

Any case, long story short she did have a session and wrote a nasty report regarding his behavior problems (Found out from his Kita that my ex asked the teachers to write something similar and they refused as they did not notice any such behavior) with the idea of blaming it on shared custody.

I feel that this was quite unethical behavior on the doctor's part and I would like to file a complaint. Does one need to write directly to them? I was hoping to find an online beschwerdeformular but seemed nothing like this existed for Heidelberg and BW in general.

We made a complaint against a Kinderarzt at the start of the pandemic who pulled my mask down and repeatedly tried to put a Vitamin D in my mouth with his bare hands. 

From what I remember, we called the Ärztekammer first and they told us how to file the complaint. In the end they did nothing though. They simply responded with a letter saying they received our complaint. I think it also said they would contact the doctor to investigate further. As if he would admit to anything 🙄🙄

Well, @Santitas, that's how doctors do it. They call it peer review. Their immediate and final obligation to you is to acknowledge your complaint.
After that, it goes to the reviewing group. They may decide that your complaint is too minor to carry on further, though it will be included in the minutes of the meeting.
But they may decide that this was poor treatment on your doctor's part. In that case, there will be more details recorded in the minutes and the decision on how to treat the problem will be recorded. It may end with a remonstrance - bad boy, don't do that again - or perhaps there've been numerous complaints about a number of doctors for similar poor treatment. Then there'll be a message sent out to all the doctors within the group to change to a healthier mode of treatment.
But you'll never know, unless you go to the same doctor and he doesn't do this again.

At least that's how complaints are handled at Kaiser facilities in the US. I worked in the Quality Department before I retired, and I saw some pretty awful cases recorded.

Thanks for the responses.

I will file the complaint in any case. At the end of the day, all I care about is my ex does not succeed with her dirty tricks and my child's rights to his father are protected.

3 hours ago, kathdonn said:

Well, @Santitas, that's how doctors do it. They call it peer review. Their immediate and final obligation to you is to acknowledge your complaint.
After that, it goes to the reviewing group. They may decide that your complaint is too minor to carry on further, though it will be included in the minutes of the meeting.
But they may decide that this was poor treatment on your doctor's part. In that case, there will be more details recorded in the minutes and the decision on how to treat the problem will be recorded. It may end with a remonstrance - bad boy, don't do that again - or perhaps there've been numerous complaints about a number of doctors for similar poor treatment. Then there'll be a message sent out to all the doctors within the group to change to a healthier mode of treatment.
But you'll never know, unless you go to the same doctor and he doesn't do this again.

At least that's how complaints are handled at Kaiser facilities in the US. I worked in the Quality Department before I retired, and I saw some pretty awful cases recorded.

It's very much the same here. My wife is in psychiatry. That a patient once in a while formally complains about her and other colleagues is a given  in the field. 

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

If he has behavior problems, why would it be your fault if you have joint custody?   Something's missing here.

Though I guess someone could claim they are having behaviour probs because the ex is toxic and a bad influence.

@fraufruit @snowingagain

So, my ex has been trying to get sole custody for ages.

I have never objected to our son getting the help of a psychologist.

Ultimately, she chose one who does not believe in the Wechsellmodelle and basically I rejected her as an option as I wanted someone who could work within this framework. I suggested alternative psychologists but she did not get back to me on those.

Now suddenly there is this court case where she is basically claiming I am refusing treatment. Actually, the communication she has submitted proves to the contrary.

I am just aghast by the lack of professionalism of this psychologist and want to make sure that a complaint against her is filed.