Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moonshot

6 posts in this topic

This is just me going to be rambling on, but you guys should be used to this by now…

Is there anybody else all gooey and excited about the upcoming Artemis 1 Moonshot on the 29th?
It will be the most powerful rocket launched since the Apollo program ended in 1973 and after Artemis 2 and 3 the program should culminate in a moon landing in 2025.
However I rather doubt that this time round the world will be agog at such a world shaking event as the first moon landing was in 1969.
If the landing goes ahead it will have been 56 years since Apollo 11 and during that time we have been stuck in low earth orbit. What could we have achieved if Apollo had been allowed to continue. The Apollo applications program would have continued, the Apollo system was designed to be a moon ship, so a Permanent Moonbase would have happened, there would also have been a manned Venus flyby and perhaps other, greater things from Apollo´s descendents.
Perhaps this time round, with the pressure from private and commercial companies operating in space, there will be a renaissance of manned exploration of space.

I'm looking forward to the renewed interest in space exploration.  In a way, the upcoming Artemis launch reminds me of the TV series "For All Mankind", which recently ended its third season.

Must admit when I first heard about it, I thought why go back. Is there really anything to be learned, or is it just a way to spend some spare cash ? Or for old times sake ?

I would have been around 6 years old when it first happened, so do not really remember it.

The Artemis program, is still using throw away rocket engines and bodies, did that not change when SpaceX got most of it back on the ground by flying the rocket engine back?

Starship to me is the exciting part of space at the moment, reusable and its destination is Mars, that seems like  doing  something new. with new technology, that's improved  - maybe it leads to something else, hope so.

dont mean to be such a downer on Artemis, just cannot see the real point of it

23 hours ago, JG52 said:

I'm looking forward to the renewed interest in space exploration.  In a way, the upcoming Artemis launch reminds me of the TV series "For All Mankind", which recently ended its third season.

I wanted to watch it, seen the trailers of course, but I am not going to shell out for another streaming thingamajig with only one show that I am interested in.

23 hours ago, yesterday said:

Must admit when I first heard about it, I thought why go back. Is there really anything to be learned, or is it just a way to spend some spare cash ? Or for old times sake ?

I would have been around 6 years old when it first happened, so do not really remember it.

The Artemis program, is still using throw away rocket engines and bodies, did that not change when SpaceX got most of it back on the ground by flying the rocket engine back?

Starship to me is the exciting part of space at the moment, reusable and its destination is Mars, that seems like  doing  something new. with new technology, that's improved  - maybe it leads to something else, hope so.

dont mean to be such a downer on Artemis, just cannot see the real point of it

The problem is weight and mass. To land something the size of Artemis would push the mass up exponentially. Then again Artemis is using the SLS system from Spaceshuttle, that means that at least the boosters are re-usable, the tank will burn up as will the rest of the ship, except the crew capsule.

This system is Von Braun´s dream of course, and I am having a hard time understanding why Nasa went back fifty years. The other way would be to use relatively small payload rockets to escape Earths gravity and build the actual moonship in space. There you could have a ship to ferry crew an equipment in lunar transit, a ship that could effectively last for decades.

14 hours ago, slammer said:

I wanted to watch it, seen the trailers of course, but I am not going to shell out for another streaming thingamajig with only one show that I am interested in.

The problem is weight and mass.

If everything goes to plan, starship will be capable of going from London ( etc ) to Perth in Aus in 3 hours, it will able to go into space, weight until the earth rotates, come back to earth on the other side of the planet. Because its uses  the rocket motors to steer and land, SLS  just cannot do that ...

Was watching news yesterday, it said one benefit of going back to the moon is the persons of colour and women will be able to go to the moon and walk about, well it seems like a lot of money spent to be political correctness to me.

Do not get me wrong I am not against exploring space,  I think we need to do it, its just Starship seems a better concept to do it. But hey I am  sure some white guy at a food bank in the US will be happy, that his tax money is being spent to ensure political correctness.

14 hours ago, slammer said:

You can always subscribe for one month, pay the €5 or so, binge the episodes and unsubscribe. I do that sometimes.