Is this normal? Signing WG rental contract before seeing the apartment?

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a new room in a WG here in Munich and was just asked to sign a contract. I had a video call with a person that apparently works for a company that runs their own WGs (https://www.4mates.de/). She seemed nice and now sent me a contract to sign, but I still had no contact with the actual people living there and didn't see the apartment so far.

I'm getting a weird feeling from this. I don't know if this is normal in Munich or not. Other weird things:

1- Not allowed to put my name on the mailbox and have to use a c/o instead

2- I have to transfer the Kaution at the latest 10 days after signing the contract, which would still be before I move in (Move in date is September 1st).

NO!!!

This is a very common scam in Munich!!!

Never sign without a viewing, never pay money before you get the keys!

I agree with Fiedsrad, fraufruit and Metall!

Never sign without a viewing, never pay money without getting the keys!

( Though Uncle John here did just that last year! Saw an ad from a private owner in Hamburg, WhatsApped and she took me through the now office I have with the camera and I took the place! I was in Greece. Contract by email, paid the Kaution and the first rent. My gut feeling was she was kosher. And she was/is )...

But as a general rule, especially without the language , NO.

I also did just this when moving here from the UK. It was from a company renting fully furnished appartments and although it would have been possible to make an appointment to see the place beforehand it wasn't possible in the couple of days I had in Stuttgart (2 weeks before moving in and time was getting short). I saw pictures and it was only going to be for 3 months and for 3 months you can put up with anything and I did walk up the road to find the building.

So yes, signed contract and paid first month + deposit and then turned up a couple of weeks later from the airport and got the keys. 2 1/2 years later and I'm still here.

I'm a bit surprised by the "don't pay money until you have the keys" comment. I've only rented this one place in Germany, but renting in the UK it was normal to pay the first month + deposit before picking up the keys. I can't believe landlords would hand over the keys and let you move in before they have your money.

I definitely wouldn't want to be in a WG with people I'd never met, even if it is all legit. If you're in Munich, can you go knock on the door?

At the very least I'd ask them for a Grundbuchauszug as proof that they're indeed the owner.

1 hour ago, Dembo said:

I also did just this when moving here from the UK. It was from a company renting fully furnished appartments and although it would have been possible to make an appointment to see the place beforehand it wasn't possible in the couple of days I had in Stuttgart (2 weeks before moving in and time was getting short). I saw pictures and it was only going to be for 3 months and for 3 months you can put up with anything and I did walk up the road to find the building.

So yes, signed contract and paid first month + deposit and then turned up a couple of weeks later from the airport and got the keys. 2 1/2 years later and I'm still here.

I would say you were very lucky, and lots of people are, but there is a risk these days and this type of scam is happening more and more as demand increases.