Curious little cars???

27 posts in this topic

I've found that using a smaller bicycle bell that only goes "ding" (instead of "SSSSRRRRRAANNNNNGGGGG")  is enough to warn people and doesn't make them jump out of their skins and yell at me! :D

20 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We have that but it is fixed and can't be turned up or down. If one is paying attention to their surroundings, they will hear it.

The safest way to cross the road is head down looking at your smartphone while moving eyes up to look for cars. The drivers think that I am one of those smartphone zombies and stop to let me cross the road.

1 hour ago, bramble said:

We hear the cars coming and move to the side with the dogs and wait for them to pass

It's much better and safer when pedestrians and cyclists STAY on the side for all cars.

47 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

It's much better and safer when pedestrians and cyclists STAY on the side for all cars.

For goodness sake. Seems you are not the walking type. Most country roads are rather narrow and we stay on the side at all times anyway and when we hear a car coming or a cyclist ringing we move behind each other and wait for them to pass. To be safer even on the grass verge. I know not everybody does this, but we do. We watch out for cars constantly and cars should watch out for us pedestrians. Many do and slow down when driving past. Consideration goes both ways. 

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

The safest way to cross the road is head down looking at your smartphone while moving eyes up to look for cars. The drivers think that I am one of those smartphone zombies and stop to let me cross the road.

That's because they get no points if they hit you. Unless it's dark outside.Then they get points for taking out the (smartphone) light :)

7 hours ago, Metall said:

I've found that using a smaller bicycle bell that only goes "ding" (instead of "SSSSRRRRRAANNNNNGGGGG")  is enough to warn people and doesn't make them jump out of their skins and yell at me! :D

I have two bells, I practiced ringing them to produce a fairly quit drrrring. It is such a friendly sound😃

If a madman on an €bike is bearing down on me I go DRRRINGG! and use my voice. RECHTS HALTEN!/keep right!

Betriebsgefahr means that people are responsible for danger they cause, so one MUST drive slowly (Sichtfahrgebot) on winding or narrow roads in case children, grownups, dogs are using it to get from A to B. Why, one might come round a corner to see (or not see) a herd of cattle that escaped from a field, or a tree that just fell onto the road etc usw.