Can I work for a non-German company with my visa?

5 posts in this topic

Hi!

I currently have a work permit that doesn't specify if I can work for non-German companies as an employee. When I got the visa I asked and the answer from the Ausländerbehörde representative was "I don't know. This depends more on the Finanzamt.". Turns out the Finanzamt doesn't seem to care as long as you're paying all your taxes propperly. It's written like this in my Zusatzblatt:

"Selbstständige tätigkeit ist nur mit Zustimmung der Ausländerbehörde gestattet. / Beschäftigung gestattet. / Aufenthalt erlischt mit Bezug von Leistungen nach dem SGB II, SGB XII Wogg bzw. Asylblg."

Can I have problems if I accept a contract from a non-German company? From what I understand it's not very clear and seems like I could work for anyone I want.

Also, I read somewhere that in this case I have to bear all the social security by myself probably through TK, correct?
I appreciate a lot any input!

Best,
Luis

On 8/10/2022, 10:18:26, LuisMesquita said:

Hi!

I currently have a work permit that doesn't specify if I can work for non-German companies as an employee. When I got the visa I asked and the answer from the Ausländerbehörde representative was "I don't know. This depends more on the Finanzamt.". Turns out the Finanzamt doesn't seem to care as long as you're paying all your taxes propperly. It's written like this in my Zusatzblatt:

"Selbstständige tätigkeit ist nur mit Zustimmung der Ausländerbehörde gestattet. / Beschäftigung gestattet. / Aufenthalt erlischt mit Bezug von Leistungen nach dem SGB II, SGB XII Wogg bzw. Asylblg."

Can I have problems if I accept a contract from a non-German company? From what I understand it's not very clear and seems like I could work for anyone I want.

Also, I read somewhere that in this case I have to bear all the social security by myself probably through TK, correct?

Best,
Luis

Hallo Luis, 

In my understanding, it does not matter, whether you work for a German Company or USA based Company which is having an operation in Germany, as long as your work permit allows you to do so, which was issued by Germany and your work permit should be linked to company , which is located physically in Germany, there is no work permit which Germany issue, which allows third world country citizen can work in other EU country or any other country in the world.

In your terms if i assume, non German Company means that, you working for a Company in Austria, by living in Germany with work permit from Germany, which  is not allowed.

Germany provide you a work permit to work in Company which is located with in Germany. You cannot work for a company based in Austria or Sweden for example and live in Germany, if you have to do that, you must be either having German Citizenship or citizenship from EU/EEA country.

Having a workpermit from Germany, no other EU country should legally employ you. Even if you have a Niderlassungserlaubnis from Germany, other EU country will not employ you. 

If you a Daueraufenthalt-EU, other EU country can employ you, even in this case, you need to move to that EU country and get an residence permit, after moving there.

Otherwise it is illegal.

On 10/08/2022, 22:18:26, LuisMesquita said:

Selbstständige tätigkeit ist nur mit Zustimmung der Ausländerbehörde gestattet. / Beschäftigung gestattet. / Aufenthalt erlischt mit Bezug von Leistungen nach dem SGB II, SGB XII Wogg bzw. Asylblg."

You're basically being self-employed and the first sentence is clear about that - i.e. you need their permission. I don't know how that works, but I imagine they'd want to be sure you're paying health insurance and social security etc., which they wouldn't need to do if you worked for a company with a presence in Germany.,

Hi, first of all, before somebody jumps to insult me, I am not an expert and just sharing my experience and knowledge.

So, to your topic @LuisMesquita

Beschäftigung gestattet > meaning you can work, not tied to any particular company, so you can freely change. I understand that this means a company based in Germany, they have setup operations here, may have an office or not, people may work from home or on the road (if for example they are sales people). So working for a Japanese company shouldn't be possible...however I have seen many companies setup local entities to hire people. Maybe this is your case, you should ask your new potential employer. If the answer is not, what are your options?

That brings me to:

Selbstständige tätigkeit ist nur mit Zustimmung der Ausländerbehörde gestattet I have friends who setup a freelance agency  (and this says you need approval from the immigration office for that) and export services to countries all over the world, say Japan or Italy. This could be your workaround...however somebody could ask, after some time, how you only have one client. People I know make sure they have one client (long term employee, let's say) and a couple of small others here and there to make sure they can show a wider range of clients.

I hope it helps.

Good luck!

Thank you @travelerworker @Dembo @Ashvath for the replies! I understand. I wish this was something that my Ausländerbehörde was better informed about. And yes, my intention is to work remote for any country around the world that offers me a good deal as I'm planning to move to Portugal soon-ish (in a year or two). 

I already have permission to work as a freelancer as a side job. I have a full-time job in Germany and currently a freelance client from Canada. In case I find a full-time remote job then I think it's better if I just switch to the freelancer visa (I already asked the Ausländerbehörde and seems easy in my case) with a contract that looks more like a freelancer contract. It will be temporary anyway since I just got my Italian citizenship approved and might need to wait about 1 year for my documents so I won't need a visa anymore.

Thanks a lot for all the comments, really appreciate it! :)