Do I need reservations for campsites during holidays?

14 posts in this topic

I would like to go camping in Bavaria and maybe head to Austria or Czech Republic too. I would like to do it without too much planning, i.e. stay for a few days on a campsite if I like it or head on to the next one if I feel like it. Is that possible without reservations, or will all the campsites be fully booked during school holidays (and pandemics :()?

Good question... By camping, do you mean the good ol' German style with a camper, or do you mean with a tent?

I can imagine you'll have better luck if you're "zelten".

I had a look when planning my vacation this summer, and the really good campsites say they're already booked (in Bavaria and Austria), I also saw some that said, just show up and they'll find a place for you.

Most people do not like planning, including me

But if I were you, I would try to my a rough plan of the areas you want to stay at, find some camp sites nearby and phone them up, asking them how full they are in a certain time frame, it its more than 70 % full across a range of camp sites, then I would probably book else I would leave it to luck

I have had good and bad experiences with booking camp sites in Italy, Lake Garda, but that was in a caravan where I needed to book 6 months ahead !!!, guess getting a tent plot would be more easy

Enjoy your holiday 

I like planning, one time I booked a holiday eleven months in advance. Got a discount! Enjoyed the anticipation!

"Vorfreude ist die schoenste Freude", we say in German😃

43 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Most people do not like planning, including me

This is Germany, it's in most people's DNA here to plan everything. 

Having said that, heading off with a tent should be ok, as long as it's not in the school holiday time.

Except for the very sought campsites most times you will find a place.  If you have a car you will have no problems.

19 hours ago, Tap said:

This is Germany, it's in most people's DNA here to plan everything. 

Having said that, heading off with a tent should be ok, as long as it's not in the school holiday time.

It is school holiday time though... I dont know, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, but I do think OP will find some places.

I think it highly depends on what you need - a place for an RV with water and electricity hook-up? Or just space for a car and tent? 

I would definitely research the campsites in the area you are planning on travelling through to make sure you end up at a nice one. Their website probably also has info on reservations & planning. Some friends of mine ended up at one that catered mostly to RVs with their bike and tent which was ok but a bit weird and another one might have been nicer. 

Thanks for all the replies! I will test my luck and go with minimal planning. Just a car and a smallish tent, so should be possible to squeeze in somewhere :)

Oh, that reminds me, still have to pick up an up-to-date copy of the ADAC Campingführer... And I have been bombarded with online advertising for campspace.com lately, might give that one a go too.

Hey are there desolate campsites here? Like in California, in the woods, with very few people, and some wild nature? Any recommendations not too far from Frankfurt? I'd like to take my kids. I guess the Black Forest area might be nice?

44 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Hey are there desolate campsites here? Like in California, in the woods, with very few people, and some wild nature? Any recommendations not too far from Frankfurt? I'd like to take my kids. I guess the Black Forest area might be nice?

Search for

Naturzeltplatz or Natur-Camping

You'll get results like this :

https://www.outdoor-magazin.com/wandertipps/schwarzwaldcamp-am-schluchsee/

I spend my land days in south Denmark - so can't really give you examples around FFM.

It all depends on when you will be going, and of coarse which site you will be visiting.

The last two weeks of the bavarian school holidays are pretty relaxed as only Bavaria and Baden Würrtemberg are still on school holidays. Most of the Kids are back at school.
But some sites it will be better to reserve a pitch if you want a decent spot.

Down in Italy its plain sailing and you can choose your spot. Not like in the main Holidays when you can count yourself lucky if you are let on the the waiting field.... Spending 1-2 nights outside of the Site is normal and widely accepted....

But some sites still have tent fields alolowing people to pitch up for a few days and make the most of it.....

Preperation is everything. In the last few years camping has become so popular that most of the freedom has been lost....