DB Train late by 2 hours for airport

20 posts in this topic

My ICE train Karlsruhe to Frankfurt airport Via mannheim is late by 2 hours. Instead of 15.00 departure the current departure at 17.00 hr.

Around 16.00 hr I have taken a RE train to mannheim with my 9 EURO pass.  it Will reach there around 16.55 hr.

From mannhiem i am seeing another ICE trains towards FRA airport around 17.15 hr In this case will my Karlsruhe to Frankfurt airport ticket would be valid from Mannheim to Frnkfurt airport in another.ICE train or should I purchase a new one.?

These type of questions you typically ask at the DB Reisezentrum or DB Info point at your local Hbf, ie. Mannheim.

I wouldn’t buy a new ticket since the ticket collector can see your original train is late.

I have never had a problem switching trains (ICE's) on non flexible tickets due to lateness and missing connections etc. If you have time and want to be sure a ticket office will change and stamp your original ticket but the ticket inspectors know what is going on and I have never had any hassle, except for the loss of a seat booking!

Take a screenshot on your phone showing your original train is late. Then take any train you want. If you had seat reservations on the late train they will of course not be valid on the replacement train but you can get those refunded. If you have time, stop by a db info and get a verification that your train is late and a claim form. You need to jot down which trains you take and the time for your claim form. If you end up arriving at your destination 2 or more hours late, you get a refund of 50% of your ticket price. If it's between 1 and 2 hours you get 25%

Any time your train is cancelled, or more than an hour late, all restrictions with Supersparpreis or Sparpreis are lifted and you are free to take any replacement train on the same ticket. As others have said, it's always good to get the form to claim compensation if your train is delayed more than 60 minutes. 

I was actually in a train delayed for 2 hours. They gave me this horrendous looking for to full in.

But since I had booked it through my DB account their website automatically filled in an electronic form for me where I only needed to fill in my bank details.

6 hours ago, the.frollein said:

Any time your train is cancelled, or more than an hour late, all restrictions with Supersparpreis or Sparpreis are lifted and you are free to take any replacement train on the same ticket. As others have said, it's always good to get the form to claim compensation if your train is delayed more than 60 minutes. 

You can also get compensated if a train being late, even if not by an hour, causes you to miss a connection causing you to end up an hour late at your final destination. Example: a train was 20-30 minutes late and caused me to miss a connection. The next connection was an hour later. I got money 💰

According to https://www.bahn.de/service/ueber-uns/inside-bahn/tipps-tricks/zugbindung-sparpreis you are free to take any train as soon as a late train made you miss your connection. Doesn't have to be an hour late.

1 hour ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I was actually in a train delayed for 2 hours. They gave me this horrendous looking for to full in.

But since I had booked it through my DB account their website automatically filled in an electronic form for me where I only needed to fill in my bank details.

I haven't seen that option but sounds good 

8 minutes ago, LeonG said:

You can also get compensated if a train being late, even if not by an hour, causes you to miss a connection causing you to end up an hour late at your final destination. Example: a train was 20-30 minutes late and caused me to miss a connection. The next connection was an hour later. I got money

What if you miss a flight?

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

What if you miss a flight?

It's on you unfortunately. You'd get 50% of the train ticket if you are 2+ hours late to the airport but the flight is your problem.  

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

10 hours ago, LeonG said:

It's on you unfortunately. You'd get 50% of the train ticket if you are 2+ hours late to the airport but the flight is your problem.  

Even if the train ride to the airport was part of a package tour?

2 hours ago, jeba said:

Even if the train ride to the airport was part of a package tour?

Then presumably the package tour company would be responsible for getting you another flight or the package tour insurance would kick-in. This wouldn't include Rail & Fly if you booked this as part of your flight as that allows you to travel anytime on the day of the flight (or the day before if the flight is early morning) so you are responsible for making sure you get a train that gets you to the airport in time including any delays/cancellations that may occur.

This is why I prefer to travel with plenty of time. If it's tight, I'd rather be a day early and fork out 50€ for a hotel than to miss my flight.

This is why you need to read the small print on your travel insurance policy.

Only then is there a chance that you won't be out of pocket should your train be so delayed that you also miss a flight.

You no longer need the paper form to file for reimbursement due to late arrival. I just did this through the DB website and got 50% back within a couple weeks.

Thanks for your insight pals. ! I was told, even under Non flexi fare if a train is late by more than 30 minutes I am allowed to take next available train to the destination with no additional charges.

On that day the train was late by more than 6 hours to the actual location but I managed to take the alternative train way before since they keep on extending the exact arrival time every 30 minutes and reached the airport just 20 minutes before the closing of the check in counter at FRA.

Not sure what you mean it having to be at least 30 mins late though.  If it is DB's fault, and you are through ticketed, even if you miss the train by 1 minute you are covered.  Happy landings.

4 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Not sure what you mean it having to be at least 30 mins late though.  If it is DB's fault, and you are through ticketed, even if you miss the train by 1 minute you are covered.  Happy landings.

Every 30 mins the display board keeps changing the arrival time further.

Ok a misunderstanding going on here.   Your ticket is valid if it DB's fault.   That is all I meant.  Glad you got your flight okay.