paid vacation days after changing job

5 posts in this topic

I will start my new job in Geesthacht by 1/10/2022. And I already plan my holiday from mid December to mid of January. I would like to carry the entitled vacancy days from my old job to cater for such a long leave. I did not take a long vacancy for such a long time and really need to rest. The question is: is it wise (and legally acceptable) to do so?

8 hours ago, kstn said:

I will start my new job in Geesthacht by 1/10/2022. And I already plan my holiday from mid December to mid of January. I would like to carry the entitled vacancy days from my old job to cater for such a long leave. I did not take a long vacancy for such a long time and really need to rest. The question is: is it wise (and legally acceptable) to do so?

I don't think that you have that option.  Your old employer can ask you to use up unused vacation days before you leave or they pay them out.  I don't know of an option to transfer them to the new employer.  Have you asked the old employer which they prefer?

Your new employer may not like you taking such a long holiday so soon after starting.  You would only be entitled to earned vacation days from Oct, Nov. and Dec so probably 6-7,5 days.  8-10 if they let you use January's allottment as well.  You could ask to take the rest unpaid.  You need to discuss this with your new employer.

Once, I started a job on 1st December, but since the company closed more or less between 24th December and 6th January, I had two weeks off. I started the new calendar year with minus holidays.

Also, when you start a new job, it‘s normal to inform/discuss your already planned/paid holiday during final job interview to avoid possible unnecessary „surprises“.

4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Once, I started a job on 1st December, but since the company closed more or less between 24th December and 6th January, I had two weeks off. I started the new calendar year with minus holidays.

Yes, the employer can allow you to take "future" vacation early but say if you have 30 days jahresurlaub and they let you take it all in January and February and then you quit, they can't ask you for the money back.  It's basically their risk if they allow it.