Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Drivers Hours: Can parents teach their children

13 posts in this topic

Hello fellow Toytowners

So, it is time for a driving school for my child (young adult!). 
A friend told me that her friend was able to get a discount because she taught her son for some of the required driving hours. 

I had never heard of this. 

Found nothing on the internet about this. 

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance!

American Family in Freiburg

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have definitely never heard this. It is a matter of insurance, I believe. 

If the student has passed the test, but is not 18 yet, there is the  „Begleiteten Fahren ab 17“  which means they can drive with an adult with a license even before their 18th birthday. There are some rules and regulations regarding the adult license holder but I cannot remember all the details (30 years, min., driver's license for 5+ years etc. More info here: BMDV - Fahranfänger/innen und „Begleitetes Fahren ab 17“ (bmvi.de) ). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, rammot said:

A friend told me that her friend was able to get a discount because she taught her son for some of the required driving hours. 

First of all, on public road that would be illegal (criminal liability + insurance will not pay in case of accident).

 

On official Verkehrsübungsplatz you can teach your kid some basics of driving like switching gears, that will indeed save you some money, but it's not in any way replacement for the official driving lessons (that require driving in Landstrasse, city, autobahn, driving at night etc) required by the state.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

 

First of all, on public road that would be illegal (criminal liability + insurance will not pay in case of accident).

 

On official Verkehrsübungsplatz you can teach your kid some basics of driving like switching gears, that will indeed save you some money, but it's not in any way replacement for the official driving lessons (that require driving in Landstrasse, city, autobahn, driving at night etc) required by the state.

 

I taught all three of my kids at the Oberpfaffenhofen airport on Sundays and, whilst not a replacement for the required hours, it certainly saves some money and helps build road confidence.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Janx Spirit. Three kids, and I am just working on my first. Respect. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Janx Spirit  When is the airport available for practice? I have yet to learn to drive our EV and need to do so when we come home after the summer. I have a DL so that's not a problem. Just need practice. Himself was thinking about some driver training course in Augsburg.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please think carefully about whether your parent/child relationship will stand up to the didactic challenges of seeing your child make the same mistake over and over again...

 

The ADAC also run practice areas; some with traffic lights and signs. They cover 3rd party insurance too ( unlike practice on a beach)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps you could charge your children for the practice, half the hourly rate demanded by a professional instructor?😉

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fraufruit said:

@Janx Spirit  When is the airport available for practice? I have yet to learn to drive our EV and need to do so when we come home after the summer. I have a DL so that's not a problem. Just need practice. Himself was thinking about some driver training course in Augsburg.

 

Sunday, when the offices are closed. Never saw a soul. There is an area before the airport, off the main toad, that is like a little town of office buildings, roads, intersections etc. Prefect for practice. (This is about 8 years ago though)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Please think carefully about whether your parent/child relationship will stand up to the didactic challenges of seeing your child make the same mistake over and over again...

 

My Dad took me out a bit in the UK where it's fine with a provisional licence.

 

I stalled on a roundabout and my helpful Dad squished himself as low in his seat/footwell as he could and said that he hoped no-one he knew was watching because it was so embarrassing. Arse.

 

Practicing with my other half on a lorry driver training area in the UK was much better. There were helpful straw bales to practice manoeuvring around with little risk to body/paintwork. Genius. That made me way more confident to continue with actual lessons once we moved to DE.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

off the main toad

 

not disagreeing with you there :lol: although I wouldn't recommend driving on really quite minor toads either :lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0