herniated disc

9 posts in this topic

Anyone else here was diagnosed with an herniated disc? 

I can do everything apart from jogging, which is what I love most. Cycling or walking many hrs in the mountains no problems.

Been doing specific physiotherapy exercises like mad now for 7 months, also got 3 cortisone shots, zero improvement :-(

If you have stories to share I'd like to hear

Thanks,

Alberto

Also in the herniated disc club. Do you use normal running shoes when jogging? This would put the impact in the heel which is quite jarring for the spine. Using barefoot shoes means you run on the ball of your foot which lessens the impact and might be what you need. You can get some fairly cheap but still good brands these days so not too costly to try: This site for instance (also available via Amazon)  https://saguaroschuhe.de/ Takes a little while to get used to it. I'm not a jogger but my wife is and also had back problems, Going barefoot helped her no end. lthough i don't jog, I do wear barefoot shoes most of the time now and haven't had so many back issues.

Thanks for sharing.

I "run" on soft surfaces, in a forest. Shoes are fine. Been running (well, not really at the moment) since 1988, shoes are same brand and model I used 20yr ago when averaging almost 5000 miles a year.

Thinking back about it I guess it was heavy garden work that caused the problem. Of course I noticed nothing at the time...:o

Question:

are you doing, or did you do, anything about the condition? Any effect?

What issues do you get when jogging?  

It might be that before you herniated the disc, your back was well able to cope with the impact from running. But if it is still herniated and not fully healed, then the impact (even with proper running shoes) may be enough to effect the herniation. If I stand up and tap myheel on the floor, I can feel it in my back. but not when I tap the ball of my foot. If you;'re running on soft surfaces (it's sandy where we live so we get soft paths) maybe just try jogging barefoot for a stretch and see if you notice  a difference. You'll take more, shorter steps. i also had sore claves when i tried, but I'm not at all fit so you may find it easier.

I had nerve problem when it first occurred   - could not lift my toes properly. Did some phsyio to help the nucleus material back into the annulus and stop touching the nerve. I was very close to having an operation, but it worked OK.  The cobra yoga position helps a lot here. Now I have to work on getting my "core muscles" in shape to prevent it again. It's not perfect as I still have some sensory nerve problems in the leg that ebb and flow depending on how I;ve been treating my back, but motor issues seem OK. Strangely, I don';t get many back pains which is good (not like when  had the herniated disk and couldn't even sit - had to go to the spine clinic lying across the back seat of the car. 

PS If you do try going barefoot walk around first to get used to it. Walk before you run. I made that mistake. Trying to run as though you're wearing shoes when you're not does not help your back :) 

PPS I'm not a medical doctor and these are just anecdotal practices  that worked for myself and my partner.

I had 2 different herniated discs years apart. They both exploded so 2 surgeries. I've been right as rain ever since.

Mine were cervical and lower back.

Interesting, thanks a lot.

How fast was the recovery from operation? How long before you could walk? Or before you could do sport?

Well, I was much younger. Could walk easily after the cervical OP. Was chopping wood 2 wks. later.

The back was a little complicated, he had to go in on an angle. I was up walking slowly the next day. I had PT in the hospital the whole time I was there. I think it was 8 days.