Returning to work after having had a baby - rights

9 posts in this topic

Just after a quick bit of advice, im not expecting anything, just generally dont know the answer...

Ill be returning to work after having been on mat leave when my daughter is 1 in a couple of months. I arranged with my boss to go back part time (2 day shifts 7-15) before i would work those two shifts plus 3x lates, 15-22 Uhr. My husband works until 6pm, gets home around 7ish so we had arranged i would stick to the early shifts to cover my colleagues two days off per week as usual, I work in a hotel on reception so its a 7 day thing. 

I found a tagesmutter, we've arranged for the two days, Mondays and Tuesdays, all set up etc. Now my colleague has said she might decide to change her days off... where do i stand, can I ask her not to? I cant change the days with the tagesmutter, she has filled the places up around us obviously, the only day i would be able to work instead is a Sunday but that is the only day my husband has off so wouldnt be ideal as it is our only day together as a family. 

It is frustrating that her she has decided at this late stage to make the change. She has no children so its just a preference for her, plus I need to work the two days to meet our financial requirements. If i have no rights to ask that things stay as planned thats fine, i just am unsure whether i would then be asked to change my days and be expected to find childcare or if i should then stay in mat leave and ask my boss to allow me a mini job somewhere else as we need the money.

Grateful for any advice or if anyones had a similar situation.

Tia

Have you talked with her to find her reason for changing?  Does she know her change affects your life?  Maybe there are changes in her life you're unaware of that she's been waiting for you to return.

Have you talked with her to find her reason for changing?  Does she know her change affects your life?  Maybe there are changes in her life you're unaware of that she's been waiting for you to return.

Yeah i have, theres no big reason for it, nothing that would make a difference to her. She just wants a change. I mean thats obviously ok, but if its just cos she feels like a change and doesnt care about the effects on my working life i find it a bit harsh.

If you have all this in writing with your job, then AFAIK, it can’t be changed. After my maternity leave, I came back part-time and then

after 6 months, 75% and after six months of 75%, then 100%. It was a great way to transition slowly back into work.

All of this was in writing though (Änderung zum Arbeitsvertrag) and this was all clarified BEFORE I even gave birth, so it had to be done exactly the way I wanted it to be done. Even the days and hours were clarified, so if that’s the case for you, there’s nothing your colleagues can suddenly change.

If you have all this in writing with your job, then AFAIK, it can’t be changed. After my maternity leave, I came back part-time and then

after 6 months, 75% and after six months of 75%, then 100%. It was a great way to transition slowly back into work.

All of this was in writing though (Änderung zum Arbeitsvertrag) and this was all clarified BEFORE I even gave birth, so it had to be done exactly the way I wanted it to be done. Even the days and hours were clarified, so if that’s the case for you, there’s nothing your colleagues can suddenly change.

when you say "...arranged with my boss..." I assume this arrangement with the boss has been written down somewhere?

If so, you don't need to accomodate a colleague who wants to change it.

Even if you don't have it in writing, something that you arranged with your boss is not subject to change by whatever a colleague wants to do.

And, just a side note - in case you are struggling with scheduling - right now hotels anywhere/everywhere are desperately seeking help. If you walked in somewhere saying: "I can work these specific hours/days..." you'd have yourself a new job.

when you say "...arranged with my boss..." I assume this arrangement with the boss has been written down somewhere?

If so, you don't need to accomodate a colleague who wants to change it.

Even if you don't have it in writing, something that you arranged with your boss is not subject to change by whatever a colleague wants to do.

And, just a side note - in case you are struggling with scheduling - right now hotels anywhere/everywhere are desperately seeking help. If you walked in somewhere saying: "I can work these specific hours/days..." you'd have yourself a new job.