Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Full name printed on all German correspondence

12 posts in this topic

(Note: Moderators, there appears to be an issue with posts being published twice--if this topic appears twice in the boards, it is NOT my doing)

I have a rather annoyingly long name because my parents named me, they wanted to include the names of their relatives who were no longer living but had made a large impact on their life. And to top it off, I had to have a double last name consisting of my mother's maiden name and my father's last name.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I'll replace my actual name with a pseudonym of the same length: Kevin Michael Jason McDermott-Alvarez.

Now when I was living in the US, all of my business and work correspondence would simply say "Kevin McDermott" or "Kevin McDermott-Alvarez"

However, ever since moving to Germany, the Germans insist on printing out the full complete name on EVERYTHING: Bank card. Credit Card. Letters. Health insurance card. Gym card. Library card. Even when I clock in to start work, my complete name appears on the screen! And it just looks so awkward!

I find this so bizarre because I've seen lots of other correspondence and property belonging to Germans, and it only has a first and last name, no middle name included. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most Germans also have middle names!

Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I include a note asking how I would like my name to appear on cards and correspondence?

Short of asking I am not sure how you can get to the bottom of this. Next time you go to the library, talk to your friendly librarian and let us know the outcome. I suspect though that you might have put in all your first names into a form that really only wanted one. Sometimes when they want more than one name they ask you to indicate your "Rufname" which is the first name you go by (note: This is still meant to be one of your real first names, not a nick name).

Middle names are common amongst Germans, but rarely used. I've certainly never seen mine appear on a German bankcard, even though the banks must always have been aware of it, as it's listed on my ID.

Short of asking I am not sure how you can get to the bottom of this. Next time you go to the library, talk to your friendly librarian and let us know the outcome. I suspect though that you might have put in all your first names into a form that really only wanted one. Sometimes when they want more than one name they ask you to indicate your "Rufname" which is the first name you go by (note: This is still meant to be one of your real first names, not a nick name).

Middle names are common amongst Germans, but rarely used. I've certainly never seen mine appear on a German bankcard, even though the banks must always have been aware of it, as it's listed on my ID.

1 hour ago, razorsandroses said:

Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I include a note asking how I would like my name to appear on cards and correspondence?

I feel your pain, as I have a 9-letter first name, a 4-letter middle name, and, by virtue of marrying a German 😂, a 13-letter last name.  My bank, library, … cards here just show my first and last names, which is long enough!  I suspect it’s a matter of how one fills things out and would suggest asking for changes.  BTW my signature is just my first initial and last name. Otherwise it wouldn’t fit in most spaces.  Yours too.  🤪  

My husband has a collection of first names and none but the first appear on any kind of official communication EXCEPT the tax forms. 

At the notary, we were instructed to sign with our full names but this only meant that you would have to spell out Kevin McDermott-Alvarez instead of, say,  K. McDermott-Alvarez

My husband has a collection of first names and none but the first appear on any kind of official communication EXCEPT the tax forms. 

At the notary, we were instructed to sign with our full names but this only meant that you would have to spell out Kevin McDermott-Alvarez instead of, say,  K. McDermott-Alvarez

You don't say how all these resources got all your names. 

When I apply for something, I'm in charge of entering my name.

What name(s) are on your passport?

You don't say how all these resources got all your names. 

When I apply for something, I'm in charge of entering my name.

What name(s) are on your passport?

Did you put full name when applying for your bank account, gym membership, etc.? I only have one middle name but when I applied for a bank account, gym membership, etc. I only gave my first and last name so that is all that appears on these accounts.

When I applied for DE citizenship a few years ago I was told I would have to have my middle name on my DE ausweis and passport as the name has to be the same as on the birth certificate so these are the only documents/places that have my middle name.

On 7/27/2022, 8:36:52, warsteiner70 said:

Did you put full name when applying for your bank account, gym membership, etc.? I only have one middle name but when I applied for a bank account, gym membership, etc. I only gave my first and last name so that is all that appears on these accounts.

When I applied for DE citizenship a few years ago I was told I would have to have my middle name on my DE ausweis and passport as the name has to be the same as on the birth certificate so these are the only documents/places that have my middle name.

@warsteiner70- that depends. Some countries e.g. UK birth cert, it specifically says in black and white it is not a proof of identity. No lawyer in Germany will argue otherwise when it states it in black + white. 

The passport is the proof of identity. If they told you birth cert trumps passport, they are misinformed.

It even hints here that identity (feststellung identitaet) is taken from passport when naturalizing: https://www.freistaat.bayern/dokumente/onlineverfahren/039311358474

So if your birth cert name is different to that on your passport name, they must take the passport name (though you may have to be insistent / take legal action if they ignorantly insist otherwise as no legal basis)

Even when anmelding, if you say you "prefer" being named something diffedent, Frau or Herr whoever's stock response is always "nur das was im Pass/Reisepass steht".

Ergo, passport name trumps birth cert name.

On 7/26/2022, 2:42:05, razorsandroses said:

(Note: Moderators, there appears to be an issue with posts being published twice--if this topic appears twice in the boards, it is NOT my doing)

I have a rather annoyingly long name because my parents named me, they wanted to include the names of their relatives who were no longer living but had made a large impact on their life. And to top it off, I had to have a double last name consisting of my mother's maiden name and my father's last name.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I'll replace my actual name with a pseudonym of the same length: Kevin Michael Jason McDermott-Alvarez.

Now when I was living in the US, all of my business and work correspondence would simply say "Kevin McDermott" or "Kevin McDermott-Alvarez"

However, ever since moving to Germany, the Germans insist on printing out the full complete name on EVERYTHING: Bank card. Credit Card. Letters. Health insurance card. Gym card. Library card. Even when I clock in to start work, my complete name appears on the screen! And it just looks so awkward!

I find this so bizarre because I've seen lots of other correspondence and property belonging to Germans, and it only has a first and last name, no middle name included. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most Germans also have middle names!

I could not tolerate of my last name which was like , XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

First name is XXXXXXX,

Eventually, i legally i change my name as First name XXXXXXX  Last name XXXXXX  

Because of my long last name, i had a very difficult to book doctor appointment or any service over phone.

I really blamed my parents, who were not rellay practical.