City council / neighborhood representatives to complain to?

7 posts in this topic

Dear All,

Any ideas on where to direct non-emergency complaints about such things like incessant e-scooter alarms going off, unsafe cycling paths, cars parked to block the disabled, things like that?  Does each borough have a representative to whom local issues can be brought (and resolved)?  I've tried searching this site as well as the Munich city site, but I'm probably not hitting on just the right search term to get any help.

Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated!

On 05/07/2022, 15:13:52, lovelylauren said:

incessant e-scooter alarms going off, unsafe cycling paths, cars parked to block the disabled

Cars blocking disabled...park spaces?  building access?  This would be a matter for the police or Ordnungsamt.

Unsafe cycling paths... how do you mean 'unsafe'?  potholes?  not clearly marked? cars parked in the bike path? Without knowing what you mean by unsafe, it would be difficult to help point you in a direction.  Could also be the Ordnungsamt, police, Verkehrsamt, or the Bauamt.

The e-scooter alarms.  If you have the license plates from the repeating offenders, this can be given to the police. Some vehicle alarm systems do have sensitivity adjustments.  A bird lands on the scooter and it beeps it can be adjusted so this will occur less often. 

Going to an elected official without these steps first, will get you no where.  I would recommend you use the public offices first.

Thank you for the replies, especially for the Lärmbelästigung link.  I guess I was hoping there would be something centralized so the onus is not on the citizen to hunt through various and separately governed departments to find the right place to make a problem known.  I do know of some cities in the U.S. where you simply fill in a form online, and then it's the city who forwards the complaint to the right department. 

There are dangers in cycling paths all the time, and they always change - cars not yielding the right of way in certain intersections, e-scooters or motorcycles actually parked in bicycle lanes, potholes as you said...that's precisely what I'm wondering, is which Ordnungsamt / police / Verkehrsamt / Bauamt you're supposed to go to in which situation and how you even do so. 

What I had in mind with cars and the disabled is that I see often around town that they're parked at the curb where it lowers to meet the street level so wheelchairs and strollers don't have to go down a big jump to cross the street.  Not something I would call the police for (unless it were a dire situation in the moment), but if it's a location where it happens often, it seems like that could be reported and remedied. 

Just thought it would be nice to try to improve the neighborhood...of course, if no one says anything, nothing changes.  Would be great if it were simpler!  :)

On 07/07/2022, 10:35:10, lovelylauren said:

e-scooters actually parked in bicycle lanes, potholes as you said...that's precisely what I'm wondering, is which Ordnungsamt / police / Verkehrsamt / Bauamt you're supposed to go to in which situation and how you even do so. 

I hear many such carelessly discarded e-scooters end up taking a swim in the Isar or in other rivers in various major cities helped by people annoyed at them just being left everywhere, rather than there being an organized point at which they are left.

9 hours ago, scook17 said:

I hear many such carelessly discarded e-scooters end up taking a swim in the Isar or in other rivers in various major cities helped by people annoyed at them just being left everywhere, rather than there being an organized point at which they are left.

A device built to transport people in a way less harmful way to the environment ends up poisoning it even more.  Who's the stupidest - the people who built them, the officials who permitted them to clog our already shrunken sidewalks and freespace, or the assholes who toss them into the water?

I am pretty sure any scooters that are parked on the sidewalks, illegally, that just happen to end up in a nearby legal/metered car parking spot will be quickly ticketed and towed/removed by the city of munich.

They are quite responsive with regards to streets and auto parking, not so much for sidewalks.