Tax on money received from Parents from abroad

3 posts in this topic

I would kindly like to know the taxation law, in Germany (eg. in NRW), on the following.

I am married, naturalized German citizen, and wife British national.

I would like to know, if my mother from abroad sends me money (e.g. 100k €) and similarly my wife's parents also from abroad send her money (e.g. 100k €), would we be required as per German law to pay taxes on this 200 k €?

Obviously, this amount would not be treated as something we have earned through some work, but given by our parents (still alive) as gift/inheritance.

Our intent is to utilize that amount towards building a house here. So would like to know if there would be any tax charged by Germany and if yes, how much approx. would that be?

Of course, our parents have paid taxes on this amount in the home country and it be a bank-to-bank transfer whenever performed.

Thanks.     

1 hour ago, sbutt said:

I would kindly like to know the taxation law, in Germany (eg. in NRW), on the following.

I am married, naturalized German citizen, and wife British national.

I would like to know, if my mother from abroad sends me money (e.g. 100k €) and similarly my wife's parents also from abroad send her money (e.g. 100k €), would we be required as per German law to pay taxes on this 200 k €?

Obviously, this amount would not be treated as something we have earned through some work, but given by our parents (still alive) as gift/inheritance.

Our intent is to utilize that amount towards building a house here. So would like to know if there would be any tax charged by Germany and if yes, how much approx. would that be?

Of course, our parents have paid taxes on this amount in the home country and it be a bank-to-bank transfer whenever performed.

Thanks.     

short answer: no taxes to pay here.

For longer answer, read this https://tagesgeld.info/ratgeber/schenkung-von-geld/