How are your cherries doing?

12 posts in this topic

Within a few days we'll go on holiday and that will probably be just before the cherries in our garden will be ripe for harvest.:(

Same as last year in fact:(:(

Hope it is ultra hot before we depart, so maybe we still have hope they ripe in time. Unlikely.:mellow:

Two years ago it was great instead. Collected many kgs, turned into 100 jars of jam:D

31 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Where do you live?

I'm curious about that too.  My neighbour has the most wonderful cherry tree and he harvested his this past week.  They're absolutely perfect.  I was also given a big bunch of cherries by a friend last weekend which were also just right.  I'm about 40 kilometres south-east of Frankfurt, maybe where you are is taking a little longer.

I've just eaten a cherry cake from cherries picked two days ago (but I ate a few last week too).

Here in the Eifel, we are a good two weeks maybe even a month later than the folk nearer Cologne or Bonn. The first cherries are only just starting to turn a darker red now, which is more than sweet enough for me, but in a couple of weeks they will be even juicier.   

From experience, ours are at their best for wine about now before they go too dark, and fortunately for us there is so many on our trees that there will still be plenty for eating in a few weeks. 

...oh it's a bumper year for strawberries too.

Happy days.

5 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Within a few days we'll go on holiday and that will probably be just before the cherries in our garden will be ripe for harvest.:(

Same as last year in fact:(:(

Hope it is ultra hot before we depart, so maybe we still have hope they ripe in time. Unlikely.:mellow:

Two years ago it was great instead. Collected many kgs, turned into 100 jars of jam:D

A hundred jars? Have you eaten all the jam from last year?

Not sure if the cherry harvest is so good this year, but there is a tree by the bus stop full of yellow plums, not ripe yet😉 I only discovered it because I took a bus trip on my 9€ ticket.

I plan to spend some time in the fall gathering apples, should be possible to get enough to last through year end at least.

Ours is in our Kleingarten and the Verein made us chop loads of branches off the tree last year. Only a few cherries this year, not yet ripe. Just south of Hannover.

Maybe next year will be bumper after the hair cut has settled :)

54 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

A hundred jars? Have you eaten all the jam from last year?

I made ca 100 jars of jam from cherries.

Plus Mirabelle, plums, and rubharb. 

Total maybe 200 jars per year. I'm greedy.😬

In our family of 3 I'm the only one eating jam😭. I eat maybe 2-3 jars a week (pre breakfast is 1hr of either swimming or jogging, breakfast of course is very rich).

And I distribute the jam I don't eat to friends and relatives and colleagues.

Want some?😀👋

23 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

I made ca 100 jars of jam from cherries.

Plus Mirabelle, plums, and rubharb. 

Total maybe 200 jars per year. I'm greedy.😬

In our family of 3 I'm the only one eating jam😭. I eat maybe 2-3 jars a week (pre breakfast is 1hr of either swimming or jogging, breakfast of course is very rich).

And I distribute the jam I don't eat to friends and relatives and colleagues.

Want some?😀👋

oh nothing like the home made jams and marmalade. I don't have any trees but i keep an eye for the wild ones along the river and sometimes am lucky to get some  mirabelle or blue berries.

Any extra bottle please send it my way :P

10 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Just checked again. Cherries are ready. Weekend hard work of jam making. So happy.😀🍒

1 hour ago, Gambatte said:

Just checked again. Cherries are ready. Weekend hard work of jam making. So happy.😀🍒

Enjoy it!