Microsoft - early Image Editing Programme

12 posts in this topic

'Afternoon all,

I have lost an old Microsoft programme - probably with the latest update. Microsoft used to have a very simple editing programme which was an integrated part of XP and disappeared with later versions. A few years ago I asked forum members if they knew where I could download the programme and somebody actually sent me the URL and I was able to install it. I hope there is someone around who remembers the programme and can tell me where it is to be had. It may even be in the Microsoft online shop but I have no access to that for reasons best known to Microsoft.

I have "Paint", without ever asking for it, so it is probably Microsoft's latest offering. Of course, I could use it but I would much prefer the older version because it has the few functions I need and takes up very little space.

Fingers crossed that someone still has the information and can pass it on.

Cheers und eine schöne Restwoche Euch....

2 hours ago, mgr said:

I have "Paint", without ever asking for it, so it is probably Microsoft's latest offering. Of course, I could use it but I would much prefer the older version because it has the few functions I need and takes up very little space.

I am still using Photo Gallery+ with Windows 11 as detailed available via the Windows Essential Suite per the last post, works great (to my mind it still generates the best photo collages of any free app). Not sure if the suite contains what you are after as I don't think it goes back to XL days but take a look.

Many thanks for the above tips, I will certainly give them a try because "Paint" is, in my opinion, just a terrible pain and pretty useless.

Sunny greeting from Berlin

13 hours ago, mgr said:

I have lost an old Microsoft programme - probably with the latest update. 

Just curious, what's the app called? Does it has a name? 

I guess it is "Photo Editor", unfortunately it does not exist for Windows 10/11 anymore AFAIK.   You will find different "Photo Editor" programs in the Microsoft Store but they are not the one, they are just (mostly bad) third party apps trying to milk from the name of the good old one.   Photo Viewer and Photo Gallery are not the same.  But I guess you will have to choose one.

4 hours ago, mgr said:

Many thanks for the above tips, I will certainly give them a try because "Paint" is, in my opinion, just a terrible pain and pretty useless.

Sunny greeting from Berlin

What is it that you want to do with your photos?  I use Paint a lot for minor things but "Photos" in Win 11 also has some editing options.

Thanks girls and boys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them all a try.

I am not a photography/photo buff myself, so  I just need a very, very simple editing programme. What I have started to do is to copy the image into Word and use its graphic format function - but that's doppelt gemoppelt. It was so much easier to call up Photo Editor with the context menu and work from there.

Of course, I downloaded Photo Editor and saved it at the time. I was just so unclever and upgraded to Windows 10 myself!! The upshot was that I lost a lot of data - irreplaceable data at that - and that's probably how I lost Photo Editor.

Yes, it's a tough old life! Anyway, thanks again for the input.

Enjoy the sun while it's around!

Hi Vivanco,

That's the one I was talking about. I have downloaded and installed it - and it works! Great! Thank you so much.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your input. I shall now do a bit of photo editing!

Cheers....