Tax deduction--rent from a 2nd apartment used as an office?

3 posts in this topic

Hi,
My firm does not provide dedicated office space to its employees (only a limited number of flex desks, which are sometimes all full). I also have a freelance business, in addition to my full-time work. My home is very small and I share it with my partner, so I'm considering taking on a second small apartment for the purpose of using it as an office. Would it be possible to deduct the full cost of the rent and utilities for this second apartment?

Thanks,
MH

Lack of housing is a big problem in Germany. You  cannot rent an apartment and turn it into an office without permission which will not be granted anyway.

Google coworking in Berlin. Coworking offices can be found all over Germany and will suit your purpose.  You can rent a desk for a few hours, days or permanently.

On 6/20/2022, 12:45:31, MangoHaus said:

Hi,
My firm does not provide dedicated office space to its employees (only a limited number of flex desks, which are sometimes all full). I also have a freelance business, in addition to my full-time work. My home is very small and I share it with my partner, so I'm considering taking on a second small apartment for the purpose of using it as an office. Would it be possible to deduct the full cost of the rent and utilities for this second apartment?

Thanks,
MH

could be possible...but expensive. There are many temporary offices, co-working spaces and similar that will be much more convenient. Plus they have other facilities that will be useful for you.

Good luck!