Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cost of living crisis

93 posts in this topic

On 18/07/2022, 14:17:51, snowingagain said:

Kaufland.   Possibly a special?

Yes I am guessing 6.47 was a special. Happened to try Kaufland this week. At least a decent sized store which was good. Blockhouse 4x125g burgers were still 8.49 Euros, which if way more than the 4.99 Euros I got use to paying. Bought some mini steaks there at 5 Euros, a much better deal.

White cheese, Hirtenkaese, my favorit was 99c now 1,79€. Still cheaper per Kg than many other cheeses.

There are so many ways energy can be 'saved' or rather not used in the first place.

Looks like Gas and electricity prices are now at record highs.

Also the Euro seems like it is in a bit trouble (against the dollar), seems like the markets no longer have faith in the European Central Bank.

With the Producer price Index for Germany at 37%, looks like inflation is about to sky rocket.

And interest rates are still 0%

On 22/06/2022, 16:41:44, Gambatte said:

The shame is not that school don't teach finances. The shame is that, whoever the culprit, people turns into adult without learning math. If you manage math, finance is easy. If you're useless at math, no hope at finances and probably you will never be well off.

A definite yes and no to this one, Gambatte!

Shorty is now training to be a Maths and English teacher, and although she can run rings around me in the Maths department, even she says that basic finances should be taught in school.

Sure, she can do the calculation to find out that a €1 phone tied in with a 36 month contract is not a good deal, but more in terms of how to fill out a tax form or what type of insurance covers what, and which ones she requires, etc, would be a huge help!

Even my ex, a regional manager with a well-known consumer electronics company, spends a weekend each year, locked in the office, shouting and screaming whilst doing his own tax returns!

Surely it should be like this?!

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Looks like Gas and electricity prices are now at record highs.

Also the Euro seems like it is in a bit trouble (against the dollar), seems like the markets no longer have faith in the European Central Bank.

With the Producer price Index for Germany at 37%, looks like inflation is about to sky rocket.

And interest rates are still 0%

I'm curious since this has been an ongoing theme for you: what have you been doing to protect yourself and yours against inflation and the increase in energy prices? 

16 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

I'm curious since this has been an ongoing theme for you: what have you been doing to protect yourself and yours against inflation and the increase in energy prices? 

US inflation linked bonds.

I always thought the Euro and Dollar would be on parity at some point. It finally happened. Yay!

Good for me. Not good for some.

I still have some dollars I bought for €1=$1,45 (long, long time ago) for holidays. If I sell them now back with the current rate, I make €85 profit 👻. I already exchanged some DM for € last week. Nice to have these little treasures at home 💰. Money is money.

Well I got some  Swiss Francs, in my draw from several trips to Switzerland, from around the year 2000, now I see the Franc is double that value now, just thinking should I convert it back to Euro or just spend it on a nice trip back to Switzerland :)

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I always thought the Euro and Dollar would be on parity at some point. It finally happened. Yay!

Good for me. Not good for some.

99 US cents! Crazy. When my European life was funded from the states, this was my dream. Now, not so much...

13 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

99 US cents! Crazy. When my European life was funded from the states, this was my dream. Now, not so much...

Our European retirement is funded with 💰.  Lovin’ it right now.  😊