Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cost of living crisis

93 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, snowingagain said:

The Bio Blockhouse burgers cost 8.49.  Not the regular ones.  

Edit.  Just been shopping.  The 2 pack of burgers which used to cost 4,99 not there.  The 4 x 125 g ones were 6,47.  And the 2 bio ones 8,49.  

I need to go shopping somewhere else it seems. It was the 4x125g ones that I paid 8,49 Euros for. Did not even know they did bio versions.

Where are they still 4x125g for 6,47 Euros? Lidl, Aldi, Edeka?

6 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Maybe true.

After all wars do have nasty consequences on many fronts.

Putin is just using the power Merkel and Schroeder gave him.

Germany gave him the power and now we are surprised that once he is faced with sanction he is now using that power.

4 hours ago, Gambatte said:

Letter from the gas company arrived: they up our monthly gas bill from 60eur to 170eur.

Not that I didn't know about current energy inflation. But it still felt like a huge shock.

For comparison, mine moved from 86 Euros to 165. I adjusted it back to 150 Euros (based on this year's actual consumption), as every year they seem to over charge and then refund me money. So, yes gas bill almost doubled, but it seems they add on some amount extra on the monthly payment. 

1 minute ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Putin is just using the power Merkel and Schroeder gave him.

Germany gave him the power and now we are surprised that once he is faced with sanction he is now using that power.

I agree with you.  But what surprised me is you were always a pro Free Markets person.   Now that we have the mess the free markets created you are saying we need/needed more government control?       

21 minutes ago, scook17 said:

I need to go shopping somewhere else it seems. It was the 4x125g ones that I paid 8,49 Euros for. Did not even know they did bio versions.

Kaufland.   Possibly a special?

47 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I agree with you.  But what surprised me is you were always a pro Free Markets person.   Now that we have the mess the free markets created you are saying we need/needed more government control?       

How is giving Putin the keys to Germanys economy "Free market"?

24 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

How is giving Putin the keys to Germanys economy "Free market"?

He was selling cheap gas, people wanted cheap gas.   

2 minutes ago, Krieg said:

He was selling cheap gas, people wanted cheap gas.   

One supplier is not really a free market.

I think you are looking for the word monopoly.

3 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

One supplier is not really a free market.

I think you are looking for the word monopoly.

So you want government intervention to stop monopolies.   Yes, we agree.   I see.

10 minutes ago, Krieg said:

So you want government intervention to stop monopolies.   Yes, we agree.   I see.

Doesn`t the EU interfere to stop monopolies anyway?

I think you need to google Antitrust.

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

Doesn`t the EU interfere to stop monopolies anyway?

I think you need to google Antitrust.

Hey man, relax, I am telling you I agree with you.  Do not be so defensive. 

3 hours ago, scook17 said:

every year they seem to over charge and then refund me money. So, yes gas bill almost doubled, but it seems they add on some amount extra on the monthly payment.

Yes, they invest the extra and pay you back with their profit which they can then count as a loss.

20 hours ago, Krieg said:

Hey man, relax, I am telling you I agree with you.  Do not be so defensive. 

This forum loves Merkel. Really surprised that anyone in this forum would agree with me on Merkel.

Just surprised, not defensive

On 7/18/2022, 1:50:23, scook17 said:

Why don't you buy minced meat and do the burger by yourself ? I always tend to be away from food that is "postprocessed" if i can have easily the "original" versoin of it.

You pay now 8,49 euro for 500g of meat. In Aldi minced meat from Bayern is 10 euro per Kg. The Bio one i guess cost a 20-30% more.

22 hours ago, fraufruit said:

... they invest the extra and pay you back with their profit which they can then count as a loss.

Were you an accountant in a previous life ?

Re burgers. We eat too much meat. Time to buy oats.

5 hours ago, Frantic said:

Why don't you buy minced meat and do the burger by yourself ? I always tend to be away from food that is "postprocessed" if i can have easily the "original" version of it.

You pay now 8,49 euro for 500g of meat. In Aldi minced meat from Bayern is 10 euro per Kg. The Bio one i guess cost a 20-30% more.

That's an interesting idea, but I have no idea how to make those nice Blockhouse burgers I like. I am guessing it's more than just minced meat and they add some flavouring or something which causes the meat to stick together. But actually I do like the idea.

One thing I miss from back home was the ability to buy steak mince. Often mince contains a lot of not so healthy stuff that they otherwise could not sell as proper meat. Might be an interesting thing to try if I can figure out how to make them.

As for alternative, plant based burgers, if I could find some I might try. I sometimes travel one other city, and there they have a lovely place which sells only vegetarian food including amazing burgers. It's however, just a single place in a city far from Munich. I think like a lot of people, I would be happy to eat less meat, but when I tried many years back, frozen veggie burgers were, well, awful. Maybe things improve.

24 minutes ago, scook17 said:

One thing I miss from back home was the ability to buy steak mince. Often mince contains a lot of not so healthy stuff that they otherwise could not sell as proper meat. Might be an interesting thing to try if I can figure out how to make them.

Many butchers will make mince out of good cuts of beef if you ask.

4 hours ago, scook17 said:

That's an interesting idea, but I have no idea how to make those nice Blockhouse burgers I like. I am guessing it's more than just minced meat and they add some flavouring or something which causes the meat to stick together. But actually I do like the idea.

In Aldi (and I guess also in LIDL) you can even find special minced meat with very low fat %. It is good in case you are on a kind of diet or if you want to be sure to buy meat and not 50% fat :D.

On the other hand, for some preparation, you need to pump in some fat to balance (olive oil is ok) in order to have a tasty meat. At the end is the fat that gives great part of the tasts to the meat.

When i make hamburger the meat just stick together without any problem. I put the meat in a large bowl and i add: salt, pepper, olive oil, some grana padano or parmigiano cheese (shreddeed), parsley, a bit of lemon juice and if you like a bit of shredded garlic or shredded onion. Usually I don't add the last two.

You mix all with the hands and you shape the hamburgers. There are also tools for shaping them but i like my hand made irregular-shaped ones :D

You put them on a plate and you put the plate in fridge for 30/60 minutes. If you don't have time you can just cook them directly.

A trick for keeping the minced meat together if you have problems on this, is to add an egg to the mix above mentioned. It doesn't change the taste of the meat.

I once bought a sausage roll that purported to contain 13% meat. What the rest was God only knows. Why it was called a sausage roll belongs in the flummoxed thread.

Insects are the culinary future.