Regulation on Dangerous Dogs

13 posts in this topic

I need someone’s advice. There is a dog that usually roams around our neighborhood, especially in the playground, unleashed. It’s a pitbull or a staffy. My child and I were walking and the dog walked towards us and growled. The 2 seemingly high and drunk owners were sitting far. I shouted at the dog to stay away and I told its owner what the dog just did. The owners said the dog has no interest at my child and it is a brav and harmless dog. They said they even have papers stating that the dog can go around unleashed.

My partner said I can’t go to police because they still will not do anything about it because it is not urgent and nothing happened to us.

I do have a video where the dog was going around without leash, when it came to us and growled, and the owners were so far away. But my partner said we are not allowed to take videos of people so it will not make sense to report them. Is this true? 

Is it right to not report this incidence? Any advice?

B823D49A-EAE9-4204-AD11-63423CB6AC52.jpeg

I would report it.  

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/hund-spielplatz/#:~:text=Egal%20wie%20s%C3%BC%C3%9F%20das%20Tier,25%20und%2050%20Euro%20f%C3%A4llig.

FAQ: Dog in the playground
Are dogs allowed in the playground?

No, in most cases dogs are not allowed on playgrounds. Appropriate regulations are usually indicated by signs.

Why are dogs not allowed on playgrounds?

Playgrounds are considered a protected area where children can play as safely as possible. To ensure their safety, special rules apply there. In addition to dogs, bicycles or playing football are often prohibited.

What happens if the dog ban in the playground is disregarded?

Anyone who takes their dog onto the playground despite the ban is committing an administrative offence and must expect a fine. The fine is usually between 25 and 50 euros, but can also be higher.

As a rule, the prohibition of dogs is indicated in the general rules and regulations or by a separate sign. However, the absence of such a notice does not necessarily mean that dogs are allowed - owners should then consult the operator's playground regulations.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

There are other more appropriate areas where dog owners can exercise their dogs. 

You should report it. Again and again if necessary. Talk to others who are concerned, urge them to report it too.

I fear that the Polizei may do nothing, until an attack occurs. Maybe not even then.

Report it to the Ordnungsamt. They will usually involve the police. Last year I reported by phone (Ordnungsamt) an incident of animal cruelty in the local park with children nearby. I was asked to report it in writing (email) so that they have something in writing to act upon. The person in question had been reported upon several times already. A week later he was visited by the police and the Ordnungsamt and his dog was taken away from him. It's better if you can find out the names of the people involved. Maybe they are known to the authorities already.  

Absolutely report the incident and don't wait until something bad happens to you, your child, or anyone else. 

4 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

They said they even have papers stating that the dog can go around unleashed.

Wahahahaha! No exceptions to leash laws.

Don't listen to your partner.

Looks like a pit bull mix to me but I'm not sure.

Agree with others, and yes it does look like a pit bull mix.  Before "Pittie" owners descend on this thread-   most are probably well trained and loving to their owners and families.   However,  a "Brave and harmless " dog   is just that, until it isn't! 

Growling at other people - is a real  warning. Unleashed , and in a playground-  report asap. Talk to others in the  area, and get some  other views- there may have been other issues , as Fietsrad said.

Guys, I love my dog. Y'all know it. But he is 35 kg and has a face like this. My entire gemeinde is leash optional, but I only let him off deep in the woods because I don't like headaches. Our neighbor's German Shepherd was off leash a few weeks ago and attacked us. My dog came away with a mouthful of blood and no blame. I hate the phrase "Er macht nichts" because you have no idea what your dog will do when push comes to shove.

Report this incident. Report it over and over. The dog might be fine, but this kind of dog owner is a menace. 

20220619_181431.jpg

I would report it. I do not believe that they have papers stating the dog can roam unleashed. However you must be careful taking videos of people. The dog is a different matter.

I‘ve never seen a playground around here that allows dogs on the premises.  Most are clearly marked as such.  I love my dog, and he’s an adorable Pom mix, but he could scare a child, and he might pee or poop in the area.  I simply can’t believe it’s legal for any dog to go on a playground, leashed or not.  🤷‍♀️ IMO it shouldn‘t ever be allowed.

23 hours ago, ireadthereforeiam said:

My partner said I can’t go to police because they still will not do anything about it because it is not urgent and nothing happened to us.

Report it to the Ordungsamt as suggested above. The incident you describe is serious and the owners attitude is crap.

Rules for dogs and whether they are allowed in different areas/off the lead are decided by the town and land. That said, throughout Germany, if the area is a designated public playground then almost certainly dogs are not even allowed. Some dogs (and their owners) have certain dispensations which allow them to be off the lead more often or able to be in otherwise restricted areas, subject to the dog and trainer having passed relevant tests (for example, mine is certified as a companion dog and also able to accompany hunts etc). 

I don't believe the picture is sufficient to tell whether the dog is really a Staffie-mix or any other "dangerous" dog breed (that definition varies from land to land too). More importantly, the fact that its owners are prepared to sit around ignoring their dog as it growls at passers by, tells me enough to know that they clearly have never passed any of the various accreditations which could even potentially exempt them from being on a lead. 

Take a video/picture of the dog (a dog is not covered by data protection rules) and report the incident to the local Ordnungsamt (not the police).

If this is Munich then dogs are not allowed AT any playgrounds, and have to be on a leash NEAR all playgrounds:

https://stadt.muenchen.de/infos/hundeverordnung.html

That page also has information about what happens when you report a violation. There's an online form for reporting cases.

Has your partner had bad experiences with the police being uninterested before, or are they generally pessimistic by nature?!