Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Came home from vacation and my mailbox lock has changed & has someone else's name on it -

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

I thought it might just be a cock up.  Is this a block of boxes, outside the building?  Or similar inside?  And no apartment numbers on the briefkasten, just names?

We had this.  Can lead to confusion over whose box is whose.

Inside. Mailboxes labeled by floor. Is this kind of mess up common? Based on what I've read in this thread, changing your mailbox without your/the HV's consent is not legal. The Schlüsseldienst that accepted responsibility isn't even the one for the building (who the HV connected my with/I spoke with earlier and said they didn't change the lock), but works with the company selling units in the building. The company is the one that sold the unit to me and assigned this specific mailbox.

12 hours ago, gotbristow said:

Is this kind of mess up common?

I have never heard of anything like this, but neither I nor people I know have ever lived in large apartment blocks. Maybe 10, 20 units with a HV, but small enough to know most neighbors by sight. They screwed up big time. My parents rent out a couple of apartments and making sure all mail gets delivered to the right person is one of the most important aspects for them. Plus the keys as the house also has a locking system where your own key opens apartment, basement unit and front door. It is hideously expensive to change if someone loses a key. Making a copy of the key is quite the task as you need the original paper authorizing you to do so. It is very easy to recognize those kind of locks so I am surprised the locksmith changed it no questions asked. 

So the company did this without informing the Hausverwaltung? I find that very strange and inprofessional. 

14 hours ago, gotbristow said:

Should I speak with a lawyer or let it go?

I would keep that option open, depending on how they deal with it. Slight grovelling and a sincere apology? Assuring you they will cover any cost that might arise from it e.g. from missed bills etc.? Sure. 

Arrogant dismissal? Suggesting you are not that smart for not having realized what happened right away? Then I would demand a reimbursement of any cost that you had to cover and complain to the Hausverwaltung again for sure.