Uk Passport Validity

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

Our daughter has just been invited to visit Germany at the end of the month but her UK passport runs out at the end of July. We are based in Spain so she won’t go through any non run border checks. As she is already in Europe can she travel on this passport without the three month validity rule applying? Obv it’s too late to apply for new passport now.

Appreciate any advice.

Steve

I personally wouldn't risk it.

The published rules are that she needs a passport valid for 3 months after the intended departure date.

In order to get to Germany from Spain she will need to travel through at least one other country too and I'm sure most of them have similar requirements.

With the various state of covid restrictions etc I suspect the chances of being checked at a border or when stopped in-country somewhere to be higher than normal, and if she meets an official with a bee in their bonnet about Brexit then the outcomes are not guaranteed to be favourable.

What are "non run border checks"?

Surely the 3 month rule is about entering the Schengen zone (i.e. for a maximum of 90 days). If she's legally resident in Spain then I don't see why that's an issue. But maybe there's some other rule that applies.

How is she travelling? If she goes by car it's very unlikely anyone will ask her anything.  

If she lives in Spain with a residence permit, I would think she'd be fine.

And, just a note on passports (not being critical; just wanted to mention it) - renewing it when validity is between a year and six months is advisable, especially if you don't live in your country of citizenship. I know many thing they're losing money that way, but if you think about it, it's like 20 pounds.

@Dembo Travelling by plane I am afraid.

From what I have managed to "google" the 3 month validity seems to only apply if crossing the Schengen zone. Going to give the airline a call to see what they say. She has residency permit in Spain so we are all OK on that front. Its just that her passport is the only travel document she has. 

As she has a   residency permit, she should be travelling on that in the EU. If its like in Germany, she should have a  residency card, thats what she should be using to travel on. 

You might get away with travelling on a UK passport, if you get checked, but she will get problems if they do check and she has no  residency card.  The UK passport will only get you into the UK without problems.

Recently, I topok a flight from Munich to the UK, I gave the passport port checker my UK passport, he looked through it, to check I had not over stayed the 90 days allowed per 6 months, he could not find it and checked further. At that point I gave him my EU passport, he checked that and asked for proof of   residency, which I showed him my documents, only then would he let me through to the plane.

Again he UK passport is not worth much in this context, its the EU   residency permit  that counts

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

As she has a   residency permit, she should be travelling on that in the EU. If its like in Germany, she should have a  residency card, thats what she should be using to travel on. 

You might get away with travelling on a UK passport, if you get checked, but she will get problems if they do check and she has no  residency card.  The UK passport will only get you into the UK without problems.

Recently, I topok a flight from Munich to the UK, I gave the passport port checker my UK passport, he looked through it, to check I had not over stayed the 90 days allowed per 6 months, he could not find it and checked further. At that point I gave him my EU passport, he checked that and asked for proof of   residency, which I showed him my documents, only then would he let me through to the plane.

Again he UK passport is not worth much in this context, its the UK   residency permit  that counts

When you show an EU passport, they can't ask for residency documents. Weird that they did.

6 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

When you show an EU passport, they can't ask for residency documents. Weird that they did.

I think even if you have an EU passport,  you have to register that you are living in a particular country after 6 months ( at least in Germany anyway ), that registration, tells the passport guy that I am living in Germany and not just visiting. I guess he wanted to check, that I had a   residency permit, because if not and I had been here longer than 6 months, he could fine me for not obtaining a  residency permit.  He could only establish that by checking my   residency permit.  

27 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Again he UK passport is not worth much in this context, its the EU   residency permit  that counts

Which is only valid with a passport ... i.e. take both.

Somebody on here said always give the guy in the booth your residence card before your passport. Which seems like pretty good advice and would have avoided all that confusion,

We dont have a residency card but do have the paper document. Many thanks for the advice; I think we will risk it and use that as the "main" travel document.

**UPDATE**

I eventually got in touch with the German Embassy to ask their advice and got a really quick reply basically saying there are no such passport validity extensions required in Germany. If the passport is valid for the duration of the stay then there isnt any issue:

"für die Einreise und Aufenthalt in Deutschland gibt es keine minimale Gültigkeit des Reisepasses.

"

So all good to go. One again goes to show you can't believe everything you find on the net as all the searching I did indicated you needed 3 months past planned stay such as  Do you need a visa and passport for Germany (worldtravelguide.net)

S

The German Embassy advice (quick and verbal?) contradicts the information on the bundespolizei website. Last update unknown... but not reassuring. The Bundespolizei are the uniforms letting you over the border. So for me their information would trump that of the embassy...:unsure:

Since when was the residence permit a travel document ? They seem to still be making up the roolz as they go along. Or there is a lack of understanding.

I fail to see how a Spanish residence permit will be of any interest to German border control. I think she is likely to come a cropper.

This is the rule for EU citizens, so is it possible there are some exemptions, perhaps being resident in another EU state (and not needing a Shengen Visa) makes a difference?  Perhaps the OP could quote a bit more of the letter (?) they got, for clarity for other people is same position?

This is the rather long link for the OP re Bundespolizei that I think @optimista is referring too.

https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/01Sicher-auf-Reisen/05Einreise-Aufenthalt/02Einreise-aus-Drittstaaten/Einreise-aus-Drittstaaten_node.html#:~:text=Grunds%C3%A4tzlich%20wird%20ein%20f%C3%BCr%20den,zehn%20Jahre%20ausgestellt%20worden%20ist.

Yes. Drittstaaten = Thurd Wurld Cuntries. Which UK now is. Excuse my Unglish.

I left France for UK two weeks ago. Leaving France I proffered my red UK passport. I did not proffer my French ID as this will not get me into UK. Border control asked for my French residence permit. Which I should no longer possess being bi-national. (Jobsworth failed to do his job when issuing French ID... I should have ceded residence permit upon receipt of ID. No, I did not offer up my residence permit... he did not ask for it, but should have done according to the blurb.)

Upon re-entry, I only showed my passport. So could be a mere visitor. Wondering if they will have me down in their computer as having returned or not.

It is promising. If you leave France for more than 5 years you lose WA status. 

That link says "Für Drittstaatsangehörige" - i.e. plebs like us who are citizens of a third (wurld) country. However the title is "Einreise aus Drittsaaten" - i.e. entering Germany from a third-country, which you're not doing if you're coming from Spain. So that doesn't apply even if you are third country scum. No contradiction.

Perhaps it might apply if you were to fly via some non-Schengen airport. 

I left France for UK two weeks ago. Leaving France I proffered my red UK passport. I did not proffer my French ID as this will not get me into UK. Border control asked for my French residence permit. Which I should no longer possess being bi-national. (Jobsworth failed to do his job when issuing French ID... I should have ceded residence permit upon receipt of ID. No, I did not offer up my residence permit... he did not ask for it, but should have done according to the blurb.)

Upon re-entry, I only showed my passport. So could be a mere visitor. Wondering if they will have me down in their computer as having returned or not.

38 minutes ago, Dembo said:

... entering Germany from a third-country, which you're not doing if you're coming from Spain.

Have a sneaky feeling this may be a loophole. Imprecise use of language. The person drafting that text did not take into account Turdwurlders travelling into Germany from another EU country.

How can your country of departure ...  or residence status there... have any bearing on German requirements for entry into Germany by 3rd worlders ? I fear a literal reading of the words is contradictory to what is actually meant. (The spirit) In short, they haven t thought it all through properly. Which is the usual defining characteristic of roolz.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

I don't understand. You're bi-national British-French?

Yes.

If you leave France for more than five years you lose WA status. Which, being a French national is superfluous for me anyway. Unless and until they revoke my French nationality. Now why they would do that is a long story... But possible. :angry:

It is promising...