A strange phone call from interpol!

14 posts in this topic

Today, my wife recieved a phone call from a normal German mobile phone number. The person introduced himself as someone from international police, speaking English!

He said that my wife's passport is being misused at the very moment. My wife gave her full name but hesitated to give our address and any more info and ended the call.

So, what should we do in this situation to make sure nothing goes wrong?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, bobMorane said:

Today, my wife recieved a phone call from a normal German mobile phone number. The person introduced himself as someone from international police, speaking English!

He said that my wife's passport is being misused at the very moment. My wife gave her full name but hesitated to give our address and any more info and ended the call.

So, what should we do in this situation to make sure nothing goes wrong?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Block the number and carry on.

At miminum just replace receiver.   And never ever respond to  any calls like this.  Never follow instructions.  They are just nonsense.  Never give out any information.   Not to anyone at the door either (I have had "Telekom" people wanting name and DOB.  And tell your kids.  They tell kids the internet will be cut without this info.   Clever move.  But fake.

As with all scammers, I try to waste as much time as I can with them, when I have nothing better to do, as thats the only thing that will really piss them off in the end.

When they are asking for your name, give them a faske one, give them a fake DOB, fake account number, tell them you have to look up the account number, waste as much for there time as you can.

As Said, they will probably make a fake ID card with the date you give them, let them do it, it just wastes time for them, the more time they spend and get nothing in the end, will piss em off more.

Sure if I am busy I just hang up, when I think they are scammers. 

I'm quite sure that if Europol has business with you, they will show up on your door. They already know your address, DOB, etc.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm quite sure that if Europol has business with you, they will show up on your door. They already know your address, DOB, etc.

In  addition  to  Europol, I have had Interpol and the FBI on the line as well.  Threatening me with arrest if I do not ring them back.  Nice of them to warn me.  Can see some flaws in this approach though, tbh.

1 hour ago, bobMorane said:

He said that my wife's passport is being misused at the very moment. My wife gave her full name

He knows her passport is being used but he doesn't know her name. :lol:

We had a call on Nicole's German mobile yesterday and a woman said " hallo, ich bin vom Immobilien Service bla bla."

Nicole: " was wollen Sie?" and hung up.

Dunno what it was- at best a " cold call."

Why give them a chance?

Smile, say thanks and ask them to send a local officer if there is a problem. Then hang-up.

EDIT To add: Don't give them any information, including confirming your name if they ask for it.

I had Interpol this morning.

All ready to lead a merry dance and the voice just said 'press 1' - which I didn't.

How disappointing.

Well. It was her first experience of this sort. But she gave the phone number to our local police department.

I also told her if it was a real case the local police would have called you or have come to our door! :))

Thanks for all the advice! 

My mum - hard of hearing - just shouts WHO.ARE.YOU ? slowly and repeatedly at them util they give up. I witnessed this. It is ... a scream.

"My name is Boris" (Becker? Johnson?)

Perhaps you could offer a rendezvous at the local police station the same evening😑

Disclaimer: trying to be funny😉