Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Log Burner Still allowed? What to consider when getting one.

11 posts in this topic

With the ever increasing price of gas, I consider to install a log burning wood stove. Something like the attached photo.

Location would be in a similar location, backing onto an outside wall, with the flue going through that wall.

I assume another pipe is also needed to feed in fresh air.

I have seen a few properties which have a chrome coloured pipe coming out of the wall and climbing up the side of the building.

Have a corner position a lot like the photo, so the pipe could ascend a little like the downpipe for a drain.

Major issue is house is wood construction. Flooring is tiled, underfloor heating using gas.

I live in the countryside. I see many people get deliveries of dry wood. The guy who lives 200m from me I see makes this from trees.

Had in a previous rented property a wood burner and it was quite nice to use.

What are the current regulations regarding what is allowed, or the major things to look out for when purchasing something like this.

I'd have a company come and install it, but was wondering what sort of things I should consider when buying one.

Thanks.

stove.jpg

Before you have one installed, talk to your schornsteinfeger.  They will be inspecting it every year so it would kind of suck to get one installed and then the schornsteinfeger for some reason disapproves.

I know the OP is planning to install a new one...

When we bought our house back in 1989 one of the big "plus points" was a nice Kachelofen in the corner of the lounge.

I believe it was installed when the house was built 10 years previously.

Anyhow - a year or so ago the big-chief Schornsteinfeger (not his lackey who has to do the dirty work) was doing some

inspection of the oil heating & we showed him our Kachelofen with some trepidation.  He looked & said the German equivalent

of "you don't get quality like this nowadays - no problem".

A lot of people have gone for a wood pellet burner as an alternative to log burning. There are some advantages to pellets, the machine that burns them is controllable, so you can set a time for when the machine will start burning them ie just before you get home from work. They also look nice in the home as you can see the fire. The machine also regulates the temperature you set, unlike a log fire. 

Its said that that are cheaper to operate than logs as well, just I never looked in to that.

I would think carefully before doing it, you maybe better off with solar, which could reduce your gas usage.

1 minute ago, yesterday said:

A lot of people have gone for a wood pellet burner as an alternative to log burning. There are some advantages to pellets, the machine that burns them is controllable, so you can set a time for when the machine will start burning them ie just before you get home from work. They also look nice in the home as you can see the fire. The machine also regulates the temperature you set, unlike a log fire. 

Its said that that are cheaper to operate than logs as well, just I never looked in to that.

I would think carefully before doing it, you maybe better off with solar, which could reduce your gas usage.

Didn't know you could get pellet stoves. I though they were consigned to the basement. I specifically wanted the 'cosy fire' appeal.

Unfortunately (I have solar) you will come to realize you get almost zero solar energy in winter, when you need the heating, so you mostly draw on expensive mains electric.

Dig up the garden and put in a ground source heat pipe is not something I will do either, having spent now years establishing it.

5 minutes ago, scook17 said:

Didn't know you could get pellet stoves. I though they were consigned to the basement. I specifically wanted the 'cosy fire' appeal.

Unfortunately (I have solar) you will come to realize you get almost zero solar energy in winter, when you need the heating, so you mostly draw on expensive mains electric.

Dig up the garden and put in a ground source heat pipe is not something I will do either, having spent now years establishing it.

yep, I know people with the wood pellet burners in the living room, they look quite nice 

here are some photos I found, so you can see what they look like in the living room 

https://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/pellet-stove.html

You do not get a much mess with them as you would with a log fire.

From the ones I have seen they are not as cossy as a log burner, but they do look quite nice

Definitely talk to your Schornsteinfeger about the regulations and any ideas s/he might have. You might even be able to attach the flue to the existing chimney depending on the setup. 

You also need quite a bit of space to store the wood and or Briketts. Especially if you want to get cheaper, i.e. not completely dry, wood which you have to store for a few years. 

19 minutes ago, scook17 said:

I stayed in a ferienwohnung that had one.  Did not look as nice as the one in your picture, just a small one but you can get different models.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pelletofen&tbm=shop

15 hours ago, scook17 said:

you get almost zero solar energy in winter, when you need the heating

We have PV for the heat pump plus a gas boiler and are now researching if it would make sense to swap our fireplace for one with water pouches to supplement the central heating (prompted by looking up something for a thread on here ;)

Wann ist ein wasserführender Kaminofen sinnvoll? (ofenseite.com)  

22 hours ago, yesterday said:

yep, I know people with the wood pellet burners in the living room, they look quite nice 

here are some photos I found, so you can see what they look like in the living room 

https://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/pellet-stove.html

You do not get a much mess with them as you would with a log fire.

From the ones I have seen they are not as cossy as a log burner, but they do look quite nice

Nice comparison:

And

And the installation of a pellet stove:

On 5/30/2022, 6:13:52, scook17 said:

Didn't know you could get pellet stoves. I though they were consigned to the basement.

Yes indeed, many are made in Italy.  I use one to heat my office.  It has a wifi connection so I can remotely check room temperature and turn it on or off, or adjust the timer/thermostat settings. 

I buy my pellets in 15 kg sacks. 

There is some dust involved with pouring the pellets in, and one must remove the ash every few days.  But it's certainly less mess than a wood burning stove.  Also, I highly recommend using a suitable ash vacuum - it makes clean up a snap. 

The pellet stoves come in different sizes depending on how much heat you want to put out and how big a tank of pellets you want. 

I spoke with my Schornsteingfeger before installation.  As I recall one of the things discussed was that the directions said to have a crazy tall chimney, like 10 meters.  He said don't worry about it, that people with Kleingartens get worried about such requirements too but it's not necessary.  My chimney is probably only 3 meters taller than where the stove's exhaust pipe connects to it.

Also, the instructions said to have a pipe bringing outside air into the stove. My Schornsteingfeger said my structure is old enough there is enough fresh air leaking in that such an intake is not necessary.