UK Driving License "umschreiben"

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Not true. I needed my US license translated. Depends on the authority, I suppose. However, I expect they'll make an exception for the Brits.

Oops, sooorry.  Yes.  Reading website too fast.   They accept "some" foreign licences if issued in English. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2022, 15:49:20, marka said:

One last question, do I have to give up my UK License to get the German one? If yes, does this cause issues if you want to hire a car when in the UK using the one issued by the German authorities?

My experience is that having the German license only makes hiring a car in the UK much simpler.

In the past, because I was using my UK drivers license, I not only had to take the paper license along with me to be shown, but I also had to make some online application at the DVLA to search my driving records and provide a code to the rental company proving that I had no recent driving violations. Has nobody else done this? A complete pain in the arse!

Now I just flash my German license and good-is.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2022, 10:11:11, kaffeemitmilch said:

Not true. I needed my US license translated. Depends on the authority, I suppose. However, I expect they'll make an exception for the Brits.

 

Thing is a UK licence is an EU licence with the same layout and all the same categories as a German one. Really the only thing that needs to be translated is "Driving Licence". But maybe a Beamter in a bad mood might refuse to do even that.

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dembo said:

 

Thing is a UK licence is an EU licence with the same layout and all the same categories as a German one. Really the only thing that needs to be translated is "Driving Licence". But maybe a Beamter in a bad mood might refuse to do even that.

 

 

At one timer the UK licence had some different categorys for different types of lorries, they were lost, when you convert a UK license to a German one, but I know this from 20 years ago maybe it has changed since, Its worth cheeking the new license because I have known people who have lost there motor bike category because of simple mistakes 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dembo said:

Thing is a UK licence is an EU licence with the same layout and all the same categories as a German one. Really the only thing that needs to be translated is "Driving Licence". But maybe a Beamter in a bad mood might refuse to do even that.

Yup, that's why I said they'd probably make an exception for UK licenses. They seem to be bending over backwards for the Brits in the country. Other nationalities don't seem to be deserving of the same deference...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, yesterday said:

 

At one timer the UK licence had some different categorys for different types of lorries, they were lost, when you convert a UK license to a German one, but I know this from 20 years ago maybe it has changed since, Its worth cheeking the new license because I have known people who have lost there motor bike category because of simple mistakes 

 

I kept the bike licence, but lost the D categories that are to do with busses and C1/C1E for small lorries expire when you're 50 in Germany (but somehow I've kept them until I'm 52 - which I think is a mistake).

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dembo said:

I kept the bike licence, but lost the D categories that are to do with busses and C1/C1E for small lorries expire when you're 50 in Germany (but somehow I've kept them until I'm 52 - which I think is a mistake).

I got to keep my UK licence, as it has categories that I am no longer allowed to use here.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same for me. Beamterin said I could keep it because of BrExit (ironically, my appointment was on the original March 'let's not leave quite yet' date). 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now