9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

330 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

This is how "I do not need a smartphone" people usually function: they rely on other people using smartphone

Me, me, me. I ask a question and 10 people pull out their smartphones. Wonderful!

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Me, me, me. I ask a question and 10 people pull out their smartphones. Wonderful!

:lol:  BTW  I managed to download the DB app and buy my 9€ ticket for June.  Going on a hike on 6/2 with the Schwarzwaldverein and the RT ticket to Engen (walking in fields, forest’s edge, and near protected nature area, …) normally costs 20€.  That 11€ savings‘ll pay for my ☕️ and 🍰, or 🍺.  :D

9 hours ago, French bean said:

Probably because we grew up before mobile phones and what's really strange was that we could communicate, find out stuff, buy things, come up with quick alternatives if plans change. The world still went round and people still lived, probably at a slower pace and who cares if you miss a call / message, if it's important, they'll phone back.

My mother showed me once some telegrams from the early 1960s. She saved lots of stuff. For example, her boyfriend sent her a telegram saying he would arrive the next day by train and if she could meet him at the station.

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

:lol:  BTW  I managed to download the DB app and buy my 9€ ticket for June.  Going on a hike on 6/2 with the Schwarzwaldverein and the RT ticket to Engen (walking in fields, forest’s edge, and near protected nature area, …) normally costs 20€.  That 11€ savings‘ll pay for my ☕️ and 🍰, or 🍺.  :D

I plan to take a few trips down to the Black Forest with my new found cheap train travel. The RE-something gets you fairly quickly to Freudenstadt from Stuttgart but not sure where to go after that. I'd like to go to Freiburg too. Has anyone found a ways to get Google Maps or something else not show you ICE trains? Or can the DB app do that?

3 hours ago, Dembo said:

I plan to take a few trips down to the Black Forest with my new found cheap train travel. The RE-something gets you fairly quickly to Freudenstadt from Stuttgart but not sure where to go after that. I'd like to go to Freiburg too. Has anyone found a ways to get Google Maps or something else not show you ICE trains? Or can the DB app do that?

The DB website lets you choose 'Nur Nahverkehr' so I expect the app would too, though I don't have it on the phone at the moment.

46 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

The DB website lets you choose 'Nur Nahverkehr' so I expect the app would too, though I don't have it on the phone at the moment.

It does.  That and loads of other option like ship only or whatever.

Just to add to the confusion it turns out some trains are both RE and IC. These are operated by DB Fernverkehr and so the €9 Ticket isn't valid although they apparently do show up on the DB site under Nahverkehr only.  

On 24.5.2022, 09:40:27, robinson100 said:

I don´t write my shopping list on my phone, so why on earth would I take it out on a shopping trip with me?

So how do you do your shopping if you can´t listen to your shopping list voice recording, if you´re too lazy to write it on your phone?

26 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Just to add to the confusion it turns out some trains are both RE and IC. These are operated by DB Fernverkehr and so the €9 Ticket isn't valid although they apparently do show up on the DB site under Nahverkehr only.  

If you look for a ticket option in June and state nahverkehr only, they will give you different options with a price of 9€.  You can save your reiseplan and show it to the ticket guy if he shows up.  I doubt they can give you trouble if you can show that their website / app would have sold you the fare for 9€.

:D I plan to work. i usually pay over 10 euros a day for work so 9 euros a month saves me a ton. Maybe on weekends I’ll go to the next town over. 

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

If you look for a ticket option in June and state nahverkehr only, they will give you different options with a price of 9€.  You can save your reiseplan and show it to the ticket guy if he shows up.  I doubt they can give you trouble if you can show that their website / app would have sold you the fare for 9€.

DB is saying the 9 Euro is not valid on these routes.  Will post the link when I find it again.  

24 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Here you go, @Dembo and @LeonG example of combined IC/RE saying 9 Euro ticket not valid

9 euro.JPG

Ok, but it says IC there too. I guess you need to find a route where it doesn't say IC at all?

1 hour ago, Narjiz said:

usually pay over 10 euros a day for work so 9 euros a month saves me a ton. Maybe on weekends I’ll go to the next town over. 

Far out. You can treat yourself to pizza and beer too and still save money 💰.

2 hours ago, Narjiz said:

:D I plan to work. i usually pay over 10 euros a day for work so 9 euros a month saves me a ton. Maybe on weekends I’ll go to the next town over. 

I used to spend €26 a week getting the bus to and from work I wish this had been around then.

31 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Ok, but it says IC there too. I guess you need to find a route where it doesn't say IC at all?

The answer was to a question about being able to use the 9 Euro tickets on the few DB routes, where they allow people to use IC trains as Nahrverkehr for short journeys (because there are not many RE/RB alternatives).   

27 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

You´ll find (if it´s anything like the train to Stuttgart from here) that some of the trains with the exact same route are not IC merely RE,I think a lot of it depends on where the final destination is.

7 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

The answer was to a question about being able to use the 9 Euro tickets on the few DB routes, where they allow people to use IC trains as Nahrverkehr for short journeys (because there are not many RE/RB alternatives).   

Got it. Perdon.

Do you think the sneaky bastards might designate more RE trains as IC to prevent people from using them for free?

4 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Do you think the sneaky bastards might designate more RE trains as IC to prevent people from using them for free?

Ha.  But no.