9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

330 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Would it not have been better to charge 10€? Then most people would have paid with a 10€ note, no need for coins or change. 30m € more revenue too, is that a lot?😉

- definitely see your point about €10 being easier to deal with, but then they would have been stuck for a slogan, wouldn´t they?

The current €9 für 90 (days) sort of works quite well, don´t you think?

Possibly also psychological, 9€ is less than 10, it's like things being priced at 9.99 or 9.95

35 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Strange, most people on the trains I used today were using their phones. I leave mine at home.

So basically, you have an immobile phone 🤓.

53 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

The current €9 für 90 (days) sort of works quite well, don´t you think?

Except it's €27 for 90 days...

Just now, Dembo said:

Except it's €27 for 90 days...

I know that, and you know that, but the advertising is €9 für 90!

9 hours ago, Krieg said:

Maybe they shouldn't outsource the controlling to crappy companies that pay minimum wage to the controllers and then offer 50 cents for every one of the first 12 fines they give in the day and then 1 EUR for every fine after that.   Because then everything they care about is giving fines to everyone they can.    Truly #BVG #WeilWirDichLieben 

Minus One for the BVG. I do not take kindly to being duzed by a stranger.

12 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Strange, most people on the trains I used today were using their phones. I leave mine at home. Losing a phone could be a disaster.

Uhh, you leave your cell phone at home? This has to be one of the weirdest things I have learned about someone.

12 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

I used today were using their phones. I leave mine at home. Losing a phone could be a disaster.

and what is the point to have a mobile phone, that is a home ???

9 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Uhh, you leave your cell phone at home? This has to be one of the weirdest things I have learned about someone.

Maybe you belong to the "younger generation" who always have to have a phone with them(?)

Us "oldies" grew up in a time when you didn´t have to be available 24/7, and when you were not expected to be!

I don´t write my shopping list on my phone, so why on earth would I take it out on a shopping trip with me?

I’m quite looking forward to this. I haven’t travelled much within Germany because it’s always cheaper to get a Ryanair flight somewhere rather than a domestic train. I can work remotely, and can travel in the week to avoid the weekend hordes.I’m looking forward to exploring new places!  I just need to curate a list now :D

My biggest concern is how it will function practically. I have a Berlin yearly pass so I don’t need to pay more, but it isn’t personalised in any way, and it is checked by scanning it. I have my doubts that it will be correctly scanned in other Bundesländern.

18 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Maybe you belong to the "younger generation" who always have to have a phone with them(?)

Us "oldies" grew up in a time when you didn´t have to be available 24/7, and when you were not expected to be!

I don´t write my shopping list on my phone, so why on earth would I take it out on a shopping trip with me?

OMG, you too? Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh <head exp

23 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

To take photos of something you might want to think about buying in the future or event posters seen along the way.  To translate something.  To look up relevant information about a possible purchase or a price comparison.  To text hubby about a purchase or list items.  This 60+ gal finds it enormously useful.

Just now, BethAnnBitt said:

To take photos of something you might want to think about buying in the future or event posters seen along the way.  To translate something.  To look up relevant information about a possible purchase or a price comparison.  …  This 60+ gal finds it enormously useful.

I don't leave the house without my mobile.  I'm always adding to my shopping list on there when I think of something, I can check in with one of my kids if I need to. As BethAnnBitt says, I can take a picture of something interesting I might see and send it to the relevant person. 

Also a 60+ gal and my mobile is really important to me as I'm getting older, I might need to call someone if I get in trouble.

13 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Strange, most people on the trains I used today were using their phones. I leave mine at home. Losing a phone could be a disaster.

I always have my Personalausweis with me, but hardly ever need to show it.

Would it not have been better to charge 10€? Then most people would have paid with a 10€ note, no need for coins or change. 30m € more revenue too, is that a lot?😉

No need for coins and change = pay with the credit/debit card. 

Prices like 9.99 or 89.70 suppose to encourage the use of credit cards, but in practice, Germans love their buckets of 1-Eurocent coins. 

27 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I am not a young shaver anymore and I carry the phone most times because I find it extremely useful.  As a start I use it to pay for things.  Then to communicate (mostly via IM).  If I am shopping (not in the supermarket) I might use it to compare prices (with damn Amazon) and check if I am getting a good deal. Some supermarkets offer nowadays promotions and coupons via their app and you get the digital version of the receipt in the app too.     I have kids as well, so I like to be available for emergencies.  I use a lot the GPS function too, not to tell me the way, but to tell me about traffic and cameras.   And if I have to wait somewhere my eBooks are synced in the Amazon Kindle app.     Funny enough I always disliked talking on the phone and I am happy the whole world is catching up with me.   

Well as I've said many times in the past, I'm a Dinosaur. I go out often without the mobile, it's primarily a phone. I don't do any financial transactions on, fear of Big Brother and Hacking. I love cash and debit cards, credit cards don't actually seem that advantageous because you've still got to pay for your goods sooner or later. I do use text and Whats App because I have to, if you don't have it's harder to keep in touch. I have my tablet which I use as an Ebook, I have my PC for transactions and usually I have someone with me that can take photos for me. I have so many photos of skiing trips from a few years ago, I can't tell you where the scenic ones where taken because mountains all look the same after a while. People need to learn to disconnect, they might actually relax a bit more.

As for 9€ tickets, I like using the train, getting the ticket is a no brainer.

6 minutes ago, French bean said:

Well as I've said many times in the past, I'm a Dinosaur. I go out often without the mobile, it's primarily a phone. I don't do any financial transactions on, fear of Big Brother and Hacking. I love cash and debit cards, credit cards don't actually seem that advantageous because you've still got to pay for your goods sooner or later. I do use text and Whats App because I have to, if you don't have it's harder to keep in touch. I have my tablet which I use as an Ebook, I have my PC for transactions and usually I have someone with me that can take photos for me. I have so many photos of skiing trips from a few years ago, I can't tell you where the scenic ones where taken because mountains all look the same after a while. People need to learn to disconnect, they might actually relax a bit more.

As for 9€ tickets, I like using the train, getting the ticket is a no brainer.

You had me until there.  I see no problem in choosing other tools to do your tasks, you want to take photos with a camera, listen to music from a walkman, pay in the shops with your physical cards, check your whereabouts on a paper map, keep your appointments in a physical calendar, etc,  it is all OK.   The issue is you think we are "permanently connected" when we carry our phones, yes, I know there are people like that.  But I assure you, I use the phone mostly only when I need to do a task (the ones you do with other tools) and that's it.   I am simply concentrating all the tools in one device, and that device is really good at that.   And I think there are plenty of people like me, probably we are the majority.  But the ones glued to their phones are the ones who get the attention.

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

You had me until there.  I see no problem in choosing other tools to do your tasks, you want to take photos with a camera, listen to music from a walkman, pay in the shops with your physical cards, check your whereabouts on a paper map, keep your appointments in a physical calendar, etc,  it is all OK.   The issue is you think we are "permanently connected" when we carry our phones, yes, I know there are people like that.  But I assure you, I use the phone mostly only when I need to do a task (the ones you do with other tools) and that's it.   I am simply concentrating all the tools in one device, and that device is really good at that.   And I think there are plenty of people like me, probably we are the majority.  But the ones glued to their phones are the ones who get the attention.

Same here, my phone is a tool I use instead of carring all the other "stuff" around with me.  I'm not permanently connected as it's usually stuck in a pocket somewhere and I only take it out when I need something.