9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

330 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

The eAT is a half assed solution, because it is still extremely important for us not to lose it.  It is not something you can easily replace in a couple of days if you lose it.   And you will need it if you want to travel internationally.

My sentiments exactly.  I’m “up a creek w/o a paddle” sans eAT.  So it generally resides with my passport at home.

And the eAT must mostly be together with the passport.  So they made a card that has to be carried around with the passport, it is again, like a bad joke.

This confuses me a bit? My husband needed an Ausweis to open a Telekom acct last week and eAT was accepted sans US Passport.  Says Pass (Ersatz) and has the US pass info on it anyway.   ?

Germany should give us some sort of ID for foreigners, just like almost every other country in the world that issues IDs.

This.

I must be missing something relevant to the tremendous burden of carrying the driver's license and Aufenthaltstitel (AT).  I never go anywhere without both, as they fit wonderfully in my wallet, along with my credit and bank cards, insurance card, and money.  Should anything happen to me while I'm out buying a liter of milk, I like the idea of having some method of identifying me in case I'm not able to do it for any reason.  Being stopped at a checkpoint without my ID and license, and having to go to the police station the next day to prove I have them, is not an effective use of my time.

The only time my AT was refused as identification was by my local bank.  I wanted to transfer a lot of money, more than I could do online, so I had to go to the bank and submit the Überweisung in person.  The bank clerk refused to accept my AT as proof of who I was, so I had to go home and get my passport.  I don't mind the bank wanting to make sure it was really me who was trying to move a lot of money out of my account, and now I know to take my passport with me when I have to go to the bank.

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

The eAT is not valid without your passport. 

Is it invalid?  Or is it just that it’s needed in conjunction with your passport to go in/out of DE?  We use ours as ID without problems.

1 minute ago, BethAnnBitt said:

This confuses me a bit? My husband needed an Ausweis to open a Telekom acct last week and eAT was accepted sans US Passport.

As someone mentioned before, there is the law and there is the practicality.  Some people will accept other sorts of IDs, most times the (German) driving license is accented, sometimes even the insurance card. and so on. 

But sometimes it can be the opposite, actually if you want to be technical, just the passport is not enough as an ID because it has no residencial address, the real ID is the combination of passport + domicile registration (Anmeldung).   So far, in 21 years in Germany only once we had someone wanting both, and it was in the worst circumstances, our car broke down in the middle of the nowhere, our kids were small, and some guy from a small rent-a-car partnering with ADAC didn't want to give us a car without an Anmeldung.   After calling ADAC a couple of times they convinced him.  Since then I carry a copy of my Anmeldung in my car and another one together with my passport, however I never need it again.

We're talking train tickets here, not crossing EU borders or renting cars.

For those of you booking tickets, do let us know what they actually require, please.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

For those of you booking tickets, do let us know what they actually require, please.

It is basically the same.   It depends on how strict your local controllers are.   In Berlin they are mega-brutal, sometimes they wanted to see the passport when you had a physical monthly pass with your name on it.   However, all tickets you buy from the app are personalized as well, and I have not been asked even once for an ID since I've been using the app.

If you want to be sure, you need your passport.  Or take your risks.   I personally do not carry my passport, but I understand I might run into problems.

P.S. The fine in Berlin for lack of ID is still 60 EUR, but if you go and show your ID is reduced to 7 EUR.

44 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Already posted yesterday, straight from the horse's mouth, copied from the Deutsche Bahn FAQ: https://community.bahn.de/faqs/welche-lichtbildausweise-werden-bei-der-fahrkartenkontrolle-

23 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

Only the following ID are an "amtlicher Lichtbildausweis" and therefore accepted as proof of identity: 

• German or European identity card, if this is recognised for entry to Germany under the Schengen Agreement (deutscher oder europäischer Personalausweis)
  • German or international passport (deutscher oder internationaler Reisepass)
  • electronic residence permit (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel = eAT)
  • official certificate of registration as an asylum seeker (behördliche Bescheinigung über die Meldung als Asylsuchender)
  • official certificate of forwarding as an asylum seeker (behördliche Bescheinigung über die Weiterleitung als Asylsuchender)

Sources:

@klingklang77 Just use your elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel = eAT:

download.jpg.089980ab1ac1510bd1e8a3a9d5d

Thanks, Panda. I saw that before. People keep saying what they are willing or not willing to carry on them in case of loss because of replacement hassles/costs.

I would just take my eAT if I were traveling by train in Germany. I always have my Führerschein and other things with my name on them. My photo is also on my insurance card. 

I'm going to attempt to cross into Croatia this summer with just my new eAT when we drive over for dinner/touring from Slovenia. Of course, I will also have my passport with me just in case.

Couple of weeks ago I went to England, on the way out at Munich Airport I got asked by the passport control 

Show your passport, I gave the guy my UK passport, he checked it and said when did come to Germany, I guess he thought I was here for a long holiday.

I then gave him my EU ID card/passport, he then said were is your  aufenthaltserlaubnis so I showed it to him and he let me through.

Thinking about it, in over 30 years, I have never been asked to show my  aufenthaltserlaubnis  to anybody, but generally carry it around with me anyway, I thought I would never need it ever and sometimes I did not carry it around with me. I guess if I had not taken it with me then I would not have been allowed to get on the aeroplane.

My aufenthaltserlaubnis is an old green papier one. Same as my  driving license  old pink papier one with a photo from 30 years ago !!, but the Germans changed the rules, I have to get a new  plastic German driving license by next year

So generally you can get away with not have ID on you, but you may come across a situation where you need it

No problems getting back into Germany, just showed my ID card and everything was ok

23 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

Only the following ID are an "amtlicher Lichtbildausweis" and therefore accepted as proof of identity: 

•  

In practice, they will accept anything. Insurance card, DL, work ID etc. I am not carrying official IDs like passport because if lost, renewal is big pain in the back. So I accept the risk that DB will kick me out of train. This never happened in practice: TK card was always ok for them, later I got a German DL, and that was also very good for them. 

On 5/22/2022, 1:17:47, klingklang77 said:

How strict are they going to be with IDs? Can I just use my Führerschein? I don’t usually carry around my passport (only a copy of it). 

My assumption is they will not. Deutsche Bahn is very sad when discounted tickets like Bayern Ticket is shared by people who are not traveling together, e.g. Bayreuth students traveling from Bayreuth to Nuremberg and then giving this ticket to Nuremberg students traveling to Munich, so the required the names of all travelers to be written in the ticket to stop this. But in practice ID was asked once out of my 1000 travels.

Bayern Ticket was 20-25 euro per DAY, and here it is 9 euro per month, or 9 euro per 3 months? It's peanuts, so they will be even less motivated to check IDs, and even when they do check they will accept whatever card you have with you. 

38 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

My assumption is they will not. Deutsche Bahn is very sad when discounted tickets like Bayern Ticket is shared by people who are not traveling together, e.g. Bayreuth students traveling from Bayreuth to Nuremberg and then giving this ticket to Nuremberg students traveling to Munich, so the required the names of all travelers to be written in the ticket to stop this. But in practice ID was asked once out of my 1000 travels.

Bayern Ticket was 20-25 euro per DAY, and here it is 9 euro per month, or 9 euro per 3 months? It's peanuts, so they will be even less motivated to check IDs, and even when they do check they will accept whatever card you have with you. 

Beg to differ.  The tickets are valid as well for local transportation, and I assume this is the way the tickers will be used the most.    And some cities/towns are super strict, Berlin is one of them.  So we still have to wait and see how this will be handled.

Just now, Krieg said:

The tickets are valid as well for local transportation, and I assume this is the way the tickers will be used the most. 

I agree. Much cheaper than a Monatskarte. 

2 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

This confuses me a bit? My husband needed an Ausweis to open a Telekom acct last week and eAT was accepted sans US Passport.  Says Pass (Ersatz) and has the US pass info on it anyway.   ?

Next to Pass (Ersatz) is the number of your pass (or Passersatz). It doesn't mean it is a Passersatz. 

Der eAT wird als separates Dokument ausgestellt. Er ist aber kein Passersatz. Er dient nur dazu, den aufenthaltsrechtlichen Status zu dokumentieren und ist grundsätzlich nur gültig im Zusammenhang mit einem gültigen, anerkannten Pass oder Passersatz.

https://www.kreis-re.de/inhalte/buergerservice/_index2.asp?seite=angebot&id=17407

Taken literally that means it has no purpose other than documenting your Aufenthaltsstatus in the same way your Führerschein is only about driving and neither fulfill the function of ID. However the eAT  undeniably looks like an ID card, and obviously there's anecdotal evidence that it is often accepted as such (including by DB), and I've seen it too when applying for a credit card.

It would be a very arsey controller that refused I think. But then for the purpose of being sure you're not sharing a ticket, driver's licence or Versicherungskarte should also work.

6 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Taken literally that means it has no purpose other than documenting your Aufenthaltsstatus in the same way your Führerschein is only about driving and neither fulfill the function of ID. However the eAT  undeniably looks like an ID card, and obviously there's anecdotal evidence that it is often accepted as such (including by DB), and I've seen it too when applying for a credit card.

It would be a very arsey controller that refused I think

Maybe they shouldn't outsource the controlling to crappy companies that pay minimum wage to the controllers and then offer 50 cents for every one of the first 12 fines they give in the day and then 1 EUR for every fine after that.   Because then everything they care about is giving fines to everyone they can.    Truly #BVG #WeilWirDichLieben 

15 hours ago, Keleth said:

This is the problem with countries with ID Cards.If you come from that country then carrying a card around is not a problem but if you´re a foreigner then carrying an acceptable form of ID ie passport is a real pain in the arse because renewing a passport is a pita but reporting and replacing a lost passport is an even bigger pita.

Why is an ID card an official and acceptable form of ID but a driving licence is not?

The really amusing thing is, that the only benefit of Brexit is this 9 Euro ticket and that I no longer need to carry my passport and actually have the "Brexit" card.

Thank you Boris.

53 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Beg to differ.  The tickets are valid as well for local transportation, and I assume this is the way the tickers will be used the most.    And some cities/towns are super strict, Berlin is one of them.  So we still have to wait and see how this will be handled.

That's because Monatskarte AB costs 86 euro/month. That's a lot of money for at least 10% of Berliners. 

Now, how many Berliners will risk Schwarzfahren fine for 9 euro savings? I speculate, a few of them. My speculation is that BVG will hire much fewer ticket controllers: they get the money covered from the federal government anyway. 

6 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

That's because Monatskarte AB costs 86 euro/month. That's a lot of money for at least 10% of Berliners. 

Many people under financial struggle can buy the monthly pass for 27,50 EUR.

And you would be surprise, plenty of the fare dodgers can actually afford to pay the tickets, it is not always about the money.  Sometimes it is about what you can get away with.

Strange, most people on the trains I used today were using their phones. I leave mine at home. Losing a phone could be a disaster.

I always have my Personalausweis with me, but hardly ever need to show it.

Would it not have been better to charge 10€? Then most people would have paid with a 10€ note, no need for coins or change. 30m € more revenue too, is that a lot?😉