9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

330 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

Still unclear whether 9€ tickets will be valid.

No, it isn't. It's clearly stated that they are not valid on any IC or ICE trains.

7 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

How strict are they going to be with IDs? Can I just use my Führerschein? I don’t usually carry around my passport (only a copy of it). 

A driver's license is a valid picture ID.

19 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

A driver's license is a valid picture ID.

Errhmm, no.

It may be in the US since you don't have ID cards and most US citizens don't have a passport, but not in Germany.

Only the following ID are an "amtlicher Lichtbildausweis" and therefore accepted as proof of identity: 

• German or European identity card, if this is recognised for entry to Germany under the Schengen Agreement (deutscher oder europäischer Personalausweis)
  • German or international passport (deutscher oder internationaler Reisepass)
  • electronic residence permit (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel = eAT)
  • official certificate of registration as an asylum seeker (behördliche Bescheinigung über die Meldung als Asylsuchender)
  • official certificate of forwarding as an asylum seeker (behördliche Bescheinigung über die Weiterleitung als Asylsuchender)

Sources:

@klingklang77 Just use your elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel = eAT:

download.jpg.089980ab1ac1510bd1e8a3a9d5d

51 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

Errhmm, no, not in Germany.

But there’s the “law”, and then, there’s the “practice of the law”.  I’ve had both the Sparkasse and Schnelltest stations here accept a photocopy of my eAT.  And my SBB picture ID card with DOB has been accepted everywhere, not just in Swiss trains.  I don’t carry my eAT or passport on me except when traveling overnight for fear of loss.  I continue to suspect enforcement differs btwn regions.

An aside:  Was recently on a local train and Schwarzfahrer (foreign accent too) refused to show his ID.  Was quite a loud scene and he simply popped off at the next stop laughing, a short stretch.  Clearly some people really know how to play that game.  I suspect personnel have their hands full and little time to badger someone who looks legit but has a photocopy eAT or Passport on their person, at least down here in the boonies.  😃

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

But there’s the “law”, and then, there’s the “practice of the law”.  I’ve had both the Sparkasse and Schnelltest stations here accept a photocopy of my eAT.  And my SBB picture ID card with DOB has been accepted everywhere, not just in Swiss trains.  I don’t carry my eAT or passport on me except when traveling overnight for fear of loss.  I continue to suspect enforcement differs btwn regions.

An aside:  Was recently on a local train and Schwarzfahrer (foreign accent too) refused to show his ID.  Was quite a loud scene and he simply popped off at the next stop laughing, a short stretch.  Clearly some people really know how to play that game.  I suspect personnel have their hands full and little time to badger someone who looks legit but has a photocopy eAT or Passport on their person, at least down here in the boonies.  😃

Yeah, I’m not carrying around my Aufenhaltstitel with me. That costs 90 or so to replace. Definitely not carrying around my passport. I’ll take my chances. It isn’t like I am not in possession of a valid ID. I’m just not carrying it on me. 

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I suspect personnel have their hands full and little time to badger someone who looks legit but has a photocopy eAT or Passport on their person, at least down here in the boonies.  😃

A consequence of this is likely less Schwarzfahren as the tickets are cheap and you're less likely to forget to buy. Which maybe means they won't bother checking so much, or maybe means they'll have plenty of time to get really arsey if anything isn't 100% legit.

The ID thing was what put me off ever using the app for local travel as I only had a passport and wasn't going to carry that around every day. Now I have the Aufenthaltstitel and have been carrying it around in my wallet for months because of the 3G rules. Not that anyone asked me for ID when asking to see my Impfstatus. Good to see that DB at least say it's acceptable, but I remember when I applied at the Ausländerbehörde the poster for the eAT clearly said "not ID!!!" and "only valid with passport", as does the card itself.

10 minutes ago, Dembo said:

A consequence of this is likely less Schwarzfahren as the tickets are cheap and you're less likely to forget to buy. Which maybe means they won't bother checking so much, or maybe means they'll have plenty of time to get really arsey if anything isn't 100% legit.

The ID thing was what put me off ever using the app for local travel as I only had a passport and wasn't going to carry that around every day. Now I have the Aufenthaltstitel and have been carrying it around in my wallet for months because of the 3G rules. Not that anyone asked me for ID when asking to see my Impfstatus. Good to see that DB at least say it's acceptable, but I remember when I applied at the Ausländerbehörde the poster for the eAT clearly said "not ID!!!" and "only valid with passport", as does the card itself.

I have always shown my Führerschein for the 3G rule. Never had a problem. The only time I have had a problem was when I had a job interview at an army base. I completely forgot my passport. I was still able to get through because they called the person giving my interview. I didn’t get that job, but 6 months later I had another interview on an army base and I made sure not to forget. I got that job. I don’t know what I’ll be needing now that I’ll be working on base (German army base), but I think I am getting issued with some sort of ID. I’ll find out soon enough. 

But from what I understand (from the DB site) is that you need to be able to present a valid ID. It doesn’t say that I need to carry it. 

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

But from what I understand (from the DB site) is that you need to be able to present a valid ID. It doesn’t say that I need to carry it. 

And probably if you can´t "present" it there and then they won´t let you travel.

3 minutes ago, Keleth said:

And probably if you can´t "present" it there and then they won´t let you travel.

Yeah, I don’t think that is what will happen. Pretty sure they would check with an Amt or something. They can go with me to my residence and I can present it there. I don’t think there is anything in BGB about presenting it “there and then.”

48 minutes ago, Keleth said:

That's it.

The only people they aren't allow to throw off the train are minors: https://www-tagesspiegel-de.translate.goog/berlin/wegen-unvollstaendiger-fahrpapiere-zugbegleiterin-verwehrt-schwerbehindertem-teenager-weiterfahrt/20697656.html?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

source: https://www.rundschau-online.de/ratgeber/verbraucher/recht/festhalten--ausweis-verlangen-was-duerfen-kontrolleure-in-bus-und-bahn---und-was-nicht--29938146?cb=1653233269393&

• Muss ich aussteigen, wenn der Kontrolleur das verlangt?
    Ja. Das Bahn- oder Busunternehmen hat das Hausrecht in den Fahrzeugen. Die Kontrolleure, aber auch Schaffner und Busfahrer dürfen das Hausrecht für ihren Arbeitgeber ausüben und Fahrgäste dazu auffordern auszusteigen. 
  • Do I have to get off if the ticket inspector asks me to?
    Yes, the railway or bus company has the right of domicile in the vehicles. The ticket inspectors, but also conductors and bus drivers, may exercise domiciliary rights on behalf of their employer and ask passengers to get off. 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I think the whole point is moot anyway. The chances of all this happening are very unlikely. Unless this is how they intend to make money on a 9 euro train fare by checking official IDs and giving fines… I can see that going all sorts of wrong… 

Some of the local controllers are know to be ruthless.  Not just Berlin BVG.   If you can, carry proper ID.  Or at minimum a copy, and other ID to back it up. Travelling locally, the police can check you from local data, from the registration office.  But I know people who have been taken to police stations, etc.  Not common but I know people who have gone through that. 

18 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Who can't do that?

Multiple people here are saying they don't take ID, just in case they lose it.  Saying it is not a problem.  It is because they (or people they know) have not had a problem.  But it can end up being a minor convenience through to being much worse.  I know people who were detained for some time until they could prove who they were.

4 hours ago, Dembo said:

A consequence of this is likely less Schwarzfahren as the tickets are cheap and you're less likely to forget to buy.

The guy I watched didn’t forget to buy, but was clearly intent on riding for free, and with his bike to boot.

The ID thing was what put me off ever using the app for local travel as I only had a passport and wasn't going to carry that around …

Interesting.  The SBB app I use contains the associated picture ID, which is the smart way to do it.

Now I have the Aufenthaltstitel and have been carrying it around in my wallet for months because of the 3G rules. Not that anyone asked me for ID when asking to see my Impfstatus. Good to see that DB at least say it's acceptable, but I remember when I applied at the Ausländerbehörde the poster for the eAT clearly said "not ID!!!" and "only valid with passport", as does the card itself.

It’s accepted down here as legit ID.  My husband set up a Telekom acct with it, sans US passport, 2 days ago, with no problems.  Ours say Pass (Ersatz).  They don’t say “only valid with passport”.

Humpf. If they don't carry an ID card for fear of losing it, I guess they don't have their bank card on them  when they are out and about either.

45 minutes ago, Elljay said:

Humpf. If they don't carry an ID card for fear of losing it, I guess they don't have their bank card on them  when they are out and about either.

I’ve had to replace my bank card twice and it was super easy.  Wouldn’t be the case with my IDs.  

On 20.5.2022, 18:50:00, fraufruit said:

Generalize much?

Ha.  Not just "Bild".  Now the Grauniad.   Genteel German island balks at prospect of anti-capitalist ‘chaos’ party | Germany | The Guardia

"Some islanders have said they fear a repeat of events in the mid-90s, when the national rail operator Deutsche Bahn introduced a “Happy Weekend ticket”, which allowed five people to travel for €15. Thousands descended on Sylt in what was the original “chaos days” action. Many carried crates of beer and fish and bread rolls with them provocatively displayed in the plastic bags of the discount supermarkets from which they’d been bought."

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

Some of the local controllers are know to be ruthless.  Not just Berlin BVG. 

Kid#4 was travelling home by train today and it all went wrong, starting with a platform change he didn't get information about - he bought various tickets to cover the new möglichkeiten he needed to use to right his mistake, but ended up on a train going the wrong way. Train dude told him to get off and wait for one coming back-a-ways, which he did, but then new train dude decided he was a chancer and fined him 60€. He gets a chance to phone tomorrow and plead his case. We will see.

3 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

provocatively displayed in the plastic bags of the discount supermarkets from which they’d been bought

:lol::lol:

Whilst I do have a very natty Joules cool bag, given to me by my lovely friend, and now a terribly smart Landlust picnic basket (same friend) - it is surely completely normal to carry one's picnic in the bag provided (formerly) by the supermarket where one bought one's provisions, be that KaDeWe or Aldi. Provocatively. Hahaha :lol:.

I have been looking at that journey to Sylt myself since we'll be on the Schlamm Coast ourselves in August and shall be sure to find a very 'provocative' bag to accompany my journey ;).