9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

385 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

How come? I am sure there was the railway, the British built it on all occupied territories. Cyprus must have destroyed it like they did in Malta. 

This was the last stop on Cyprus:

2F5BCEAE-9647-4658-9F1E-371E9E3C35C0.jpeg

There are a few kilometres of rails left and once a year some historical association is running a steamer on it.

Took a short train trip yesterday, cost nearly 9€😉

There is $peculation about a ticket for 49€ (national? regional?) but it might only be available as Abo/subscription. That would be a 588€ ticket!

On 1.9.2022 12:42:52, LukeSkywalker said:

Well, they hired 80,000 new employees the last 3 years, so I wouldn‘t call that jack shit.

Doubtless many staff retired or resigned in that period, I wonder how many more are employed now in total.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

Doubtless many staff retired or resigned in that period, I wonder how many more are employed now in total.

That doesn't mean they improved how the system works...

Spent more than 20€ on train and bus trips in September so far.

A disagreeable experience on the bus today. Wanted to stop off at a village on the way back and get the next bus home an hour later. Pressed the stop button in time, sign lit up but the driver did not stop. 

Learnt something new again: press the button SEVERAL TIMES! Might be worth calling to the driver to stop too. They listen to the radio and do not concentrate properly.

Bus travel is cheap but disagreeable in several ways. I am thinking of getting a car again😕

Thousands of € for a bit of convenience and autonomy? Perhaps not, dochdoch!

This month I've bought for the first time the 1 month €72 Jedermann ticket (presumably for jede Frau too) that's just for Zone 1. I used to just buy tickets when I needed them, but the €9 Ticket got me used to the idea of not worrying about it that I've found it hard to go back to using the ticket machines. I need to do 13 trips in a month to make it worth it.

And on Monday I did the trip I wanted to do with the €9 ticket down to the Bodensee. It only cost €24 with the BW ticket, which seems pretty good value and probably worth the extra to avoid possible overcrowding (I don't know if there was, but it did put me off the idea). Also there were engineering works meaning replacement busses on the way back. 

I do hope they replace the 9€ ticket with some deal country wide, hopefully without an Abo. All this blah about encouraging people to get off the roads becomes meaningless without a good public transport deal, and we've seen huge numbers of people are prepared to put up with a bit less convenience.

When I look at UK prices the people there would probably collapse with shock if offered a 30-40 euro equivalent card.

I'm visiting London next week and a return train journey to see a friend in the country will cost me approx  €32 off peak (tube + train). If I had to go in a peak time it'd be over €40 at least, even more depending on the exact time. Here an almost identical return journey from my place in the sticks, train + bus costs about €16,50 at any time, €13,40 with my Bahnkarte. 

Really it is best to fix your life so you do not need to travel much. Plenty of people could do that.

Instead of pretending to try to attract drivers to trains, the government should make driving less attractive, stop building roads for example.

Wanted to go on a trip on the infamous RE3, but the line is closed for building work, you have to get the S-Bahn, then a bus, journey takes twice as long as usual😕

Saved 100% by staying home😉

9 €uro? 588 €uro! a year 💱

The 49€/month ticket is coming, not sure quite when, it is expected to be available in Abo/subscription only, but you can stop the subscription any time after a full month.

Typically German: complicated, smells of work😉

On 16/09/2022, 20:43:36, Fietsrad said:

... the government should make driving less attractive, stop building roads for example.

On 28/06/2022, 23:27:01, snowingagain said:

If you want to see what that looks like in reality take a trip to the North of England. Narrow, potholed, single lane carriageways (yeah, old postal routes) joining major urban centres. It s one continuous lane of slow moving traffic all day. People do not stay home, even in crappy weather. They have to bring home the bacon. And it s not on their doorstep.

The joy of the 9€ ticket was it's simplicity and no Abo. Even for me as a rural inhabitant it was a no-brainer in terms of cost and factoring in inconvenience.

With this new ticket it's much harder for me to work out whether to buy it or just continue with buying tickets per use using my Bahncard. Or go by car. Some months it'd be worth it, some months not as I travel irregularly. Even with monthly possible cancellation you need to know all plans in advance, fine for regular commuters.

50 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

The joy of the 9€ ticket was it's simplicity and no Abo

Also the fact it only cost €9,- which was a really super deal.:D

I do hope though that they reconsider the Abo even though it can be cancelled I suspect I would tend to leave it running just in case. Price wise though it is very good, currently I am buying (usually only for the winter months) a Munich local only ticket for the inner city which costs €49,50 a month for over 65s (no Abo) so it is very competitive given its only €49,- Germany wide.

Ms Jarasch of the Giffey regime in Berlin just opened a Parkhaus* (600 spaces!) in Bernau, right by an S-Bahn train station. Encouraging driving AND train ridership? Minus Two!

I shall be having a look at this monstrosity, it has a certain awful fascination.

* Is this the only word that is longer in English than in German? (Multi-Storey Car-Park!)

Low ceilings. Claustrophic. All that concrete. And artificial lighting. I always wonder what would happen in an earthquake. Like we have them a lot... but still. I just want to get out of those places faster than my legs will carry me.

5 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Ms Jarasch of the Giffey regime in Berlin just opened a Parkhaus* (600 spaces!) in Bernau, right by an S-Bahn train station. Encouraging driving AND train ridership? Minus Two!

I shall be having a look at this monstrosity, it has a certain awful fascination.

* Is this the only word that is longer in English than in German? (Multi-Storey Car-Park!)

Ever heard of "park and ride"?

Apparently cycle carriage will not be included in the 49€ ticket. I love cycling but I do not take my cycle on the train.