9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

385 posts in this topic

9€ ticket? 1€ ticket! I took 27 trips for 27€.

People take off their masks briefly to eat and drink on the train, but apparently this is not allowed, not even at stations. Except on IC and ICE in the restaurant car. Seems a bit problematic, some RE trips take more than 2 hours. I guess you can get off and take the next train 2h later😉

Sad it is the last day but what a super deal it was, 3 months worth of local and regional travel for just 1 Euro more than as a 1 day Bayern ticket! It has saved me a bunch and has been a great encouragement to travel by train, always found a seat.

Can't comment on mask wearing in Brandenburg but here in Bayern almost nobody wears masks while waiting at the station, including the underground ones on the U-Bahn and even on the trains, despite the regular announcements, it has become lax with some completely without masks. No enforcement and concern any more!

I've mostly used it for local transport, but I've taken a few trips to local towns on the MEX and RE trains. The best thing was the simplicity; I hope they bring in something like a €69 ticket as that's more or less the cost of the monthly 1 zone ticket that I'm probably going to buy from now on. But with the normal ticket I need to worry about accidentally straying into zone 2, which is just a PITA. About the same price but covering all zones, plus occasionally using the regional trains and the local transport when I get wherever I'm going sounds great. And if it's €69 it's not burdening the tax payer too much.

Not to put too much of a downer on it ..

Almost all years I lived here, I would make a lot of cycling trips all over Munich, now with this 9 Euro ticket, I just sit on the U Bahn, trams, Buses etc, and I notice I get fatter and have much less energy :huh:, just not so fit

I managed to do quite a lot of cycling besides taking trips, fortunately I am retired. Took trip 28 today but I had to activate Plan B because one train had a "Plus" (delay) of ten minutes.

Had a couple interesting conversations. Heinrich Heine was right: "the German is a troublesome person. S/he suddenly gets out a book of poems, and tries to start a discussion about philosophy"😉

As mentioned by yesterday, cheap/free travel can be associated with laziness and serious consequences for physical health, if millions of people get the streetcar instead of walking short distances.

My main worry is that the public transport infrastructure isn't fit for such high demand. I'd want reliability more than cheapness. What's the point of having a cheap ticket if you're stranded because your train is overcrowded?

Nobody cares what you want. 

You funded the Russian war machine for decades, and now the bill has come: either pay half of your salary for gas or use an overcrowded train without air conditioning. 

I think it's easy to blame the cheap ticket for train overcrowding, but it was operating in the peak holiday months June to August. Were proper comparisons made with former peak season usage? Also the past two years weren't exactly typical  travel figures.

Then there are also the ever-changing Baustellen and line diversions/cancellations adding to crowding.

I used it unexpectedly more for mundane things like grocery shopping. Although my village is a couple of km from the station, it ended up being just as quick to nip into town for a couple of bags of groceries  and I could be back in less time and pollution than doing the 25km journey each way by car.

I also got to know multiple train and bus routes. Had several anxious moments when a late night train would be cancelled, but there was always some route back to my place in the sticks. 

54 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Nobody cares what you want. 

You funded the Russian war machine for decades, and now the bill has come: either pay half of your salary for gas or use an overcrowded train without air conditioning. 

If only I could do that. But there is no railway system in Cyprus.

BTW, is there discussion in Israel about stopping the funding of the Russian war machine? Last time I checked Israel didn't participate in the sanctions.

You can see how little the schleswig-holstein regime (greens are part of it) for example, wants to improve rail travel.

There used to be a line from Luebeck to Fehmarn with occasional through trains from the Ruhrgebeit to the resort stations. It just closed, buses will be running instead for FIVE years (much longer maybe) so that a "new" railway can be built. Even when that is open, the new stations will be further from the settlements they purport to serve.

Sechs, sitzen! Lowest mark, sit down! 

48 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Traveling on the train today and it's sooooo empty.

Haha. Another effect of the cheap travel is likely that, even though you ought to compare the last three months with other summer months, people might be put off from paying regular price for trains now, such that the effect is that fewer people will be using the train this month compared to last September because they see the massive jump in cost, and might find ways to skip the expenditure. I know I would :)

1 minute ago, LukeSkywalker said:

That will be a big relief to the train workers. Finally, they can take some days off.

Yup, and the railways can go back to doing jack shit to improve the system.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

If only I could do that. But there is no railway system in Cyprus.

BTW, is there discussion in Israel about stopping the funding of the Russian war machine? Last time I checked Israel didn't participate in the sanctions.

How come? I am sure there was the railway, the British built it on all occupied territories. Cyprus must have destroyed it like they did in Malta. 

Israel is not funding the Russian war machine, Germany does it by buying Russian gas and oil. Israel has its own gas, oil we get from Azerbaijan and (recently) UAE. 

In addition, all Russian war factories use German-made equipment. Some of it was delivered after the first Russian invasion in 2014. 

Now regarding sanctions: Bank of Israel made it very difficult for Russians to transfer any money. That applies to middle class Jews fleeing the country and settling in Israel. 

That's why Israel is not a popular destination for rich Russians. They go to more lax countries, such as UAE and... Cyprus. Yes, both your country of birth and current country of residence are big Russian money laundering machines. Israel wants to launder Russian money, too, but it is afraid of being sanctioned by the USA. 

I did not even start to mention how Germany trades with Russia via Turkey and other proxies...

4 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

How come you have your location as Greece?

The drop down menu doesn't know that Cyprus exists, so Greece seemed the closest match.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

How come? I am sure there was the railway, the British built it on all occupied territories. Cyprus must have destroyed it like they did in Malta.

It was put out of service even before independence.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

That will be a big relief to the train workers. Finally, they can take some days off.

Many got fed up with packed trains in the 9€ time and took other jobs😕

Really the best thing is to fix your life so you do not need to travel much.

As mentioned elsewhere: I predict that leisure travel by train and bus DECLINES for a while! I shall certainly be traveling less than I did in the 9€ months