9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

370 posts in this topic

On Thursday I had to travel between 2 stops on a train that was going to Bremerhaven. It was absolutely packed, mostly by young people with beach toys, beach chairs and coolers full of beer. The walkways were blocked by luggage and the stairs and areas by the door packed with people. I made sure to start making my way to the door a couple of minutes early.

1 hour ago, Feierabend said:

Today it's the first Sunday of the month and in Berlin entrance to most museums/art galleries is free. A very good value day combined with the 9 euro ticket!

Free, so are the museums packed? I might be willing to pay for some peace, and visit on a quiet Tuesday, instead😉

I wonder if a sort of hysteria might arise towards the end of August as millions (31m?) of people try to get the most out of their tickets.

7 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Free, so are the museums packed? I might be willing to pay for some peace, and visit on a quiet Tuesday, instead😉

I went to the Kulturforum galleries, which were cool, spacious and very quiet.

It was nice to be able to go into more than one, and just look at the exhibits you find most interesting, without feeling  obliged to look at everything to make the most of the normal entrance price.

Also, having saved let's say 25 yo yos on travel and tickets, you're perhaps more likely to splurge a bit on a meal out so other businesses benefit.

4 hours ago, Feierabend said:

just look at the exhibits you find most interesting, without feeling  obliged to look at everything to make the most of the normal entrance price

Oh that's so true :) - what luxury, just doing the bits you like!

Until a job change this year, we've been obliged to pay through the nose and attend 'social' functions at least twice a year for over 20 years, and in the early days, that was always our thought - we've paid for it, we'd better enjoy everything to the full - until we realised that the 'enjoy' part usually involved going home earlier than most! So then we started to do just that. 

We took the bikes out to Freising by S-Bahn last Thursday for a leisurely tour including a part of the Amper Radweg with an overnight stay, great weather, not too hot, lovely scenery and some nice places to pause and swim, though water levels are noticeably lower than normal. Eventually ended up at Ismanning and took the S-Bahn back to Munich but the S8 is much delayed at present due to construction work and only stopped at the Ostbahnhof before going straight through to Passing without stopping. Plenty of Room on the S-bahn on both trips for the bikes and not crowded, plus the ticket price is much lower than DB for the bikes.

Spent some money on a timetable book. Got a bus to Tinytown. The times shown at the bus stop did not match the times in the book.

Managed to get home by another route. I am quite careful not to reckon on getting the last bus. Especially in the school holidays, there are very few buses on some routes.

As for museums, I recommend Tinytown Heimatstube. Oftentimes there are no other visitors, and the museumkeeper has time to chat. Rural history is interesting enough, beats a city museum with thousands and thousands of things to see. For me😉

55 minutes ago, Fietsrad said:

Spent some money on a timetable book. Got a bus to Tinytown. The times shown at the bus stop did not match the times in the book.

Maybe the times in the book were for schooldays and now it's holidays.  Even when you use a smartphone and the DB app to try to get the newest info you are not guaranteed. I had my route planned out to go somewhere and getting to the bus stop there was a sign saying this bus does not run for the next two weeks due to lack of staff.

Used it to go to Bamberg on a day off for rauch beer and haxe! delish

haxe beer.jpg

The timetable book is valid through December, F and S denote buses running holidays or school days, R means Rufbus, you have to order it. Saturdays and Sundays are very simple on many routes: no buses at all.

The particular bus I could not get was cancelled because a road was closed for a few weeks, unforseen?

Still a good way to discover new places, found a hidden castle yesterday. But I breathe a sigh of relief when the bus drops me at the train station.

Awful hot weather this week, next week is the last full week of Nein-Euro travel, and there are lots of places I still want to visit. But being out on the train and in the weather all day is exhausting.

Why, there are even places I want to visit again, no time for that.

Hoping, half-expecting that a similar offer may be available when the weather is better, €39 a month for Oktober maybe?😃

Used the dreaded RE3 again today Sunday, two rides. Before the trains arrived there was an automated announcement: "Der Zug ist voll besetzt/the train is full, you are advised to use another service!"

Wrong again, in both cases I was able to board but had to stand😉

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I'll never understand the attraction of getting into standing room only trains.

It's called being poor.

42 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

It's called being poor.

Not always, years ago  on the only occasion I tried taking the train to London from Basingstoke for a 9 am business meeting the 1st class ticket got me a  standing place in a packed Guards wagon!:angry:

I like people actually, standing for a while is tolerable.

One thing about train travel, it is much much safer than driving. A couple thousand people are killed in auto wrecks in Germany each year. In train wrecks, hardly any.

I am feeling 27€ richer😉 but I am looking forward to a particular trip soon, after September 1, when I shall gladly pay €20+ for a day. Did not fancy the trip (thru Berlin) during the Nein-Euro time.

On 8/22/2022, 1:50:52, Fietsrad said:

One thing about train travel, it is much much safer than driving. A couple thousand people are killed in auto wrecks in Germany each year. In train wrecks, hardly any.

Statistically, this is true. But I have to remind you that Germany still has a lot of one-way tracks with occasional two way stretches where one train should stop and let the oncoming train to pass. The traffic lights are controlled by a human operator, and there were a couple of cases when this operator made a mistake, and the trains collided.

In addition, there are still a lot of car roads crossing the rail tracks, many of them do not have any barrier, just the sound/light warnings. So, some of those car wrecks are the results of trains hitting a car on the tracks.

Also, I wish Germany had the rail network with the density of Switzerland, but it doesn't. A lot of lines were dismounted during romantic automobile era of the 20th century, so you cannot get by train everywhere.

Actually the DDR was a great train country, lots of services, maybe slow (so what?) After 1990 many lines were closed to passenger trains, for example from Joachimsthal to Angela-Merkel-Stadt Templin.

That was opened again, soon it will be closed again because few people used it. What did they expect, only a few thousand people live near the line😕

Instead Unsummen, billions, are used to encourage people to travel more on busy lines, RE1 Brandenburg - Berlin - Frankfurt/Oder will soon be running three times an hour.

The SPD wants the 9 EUR to be expanded in Berlin until the end of the year.  If approved, it will be valid at least in the AB areas and they said they wanted to start talks to try to make it valid in the whole Brandenburg.  The Greens want the ticket to cost 29 EUR permanently, not bad either.  And CDU supports only that the (standard) prices are frozen, read: inflation issues.

https://www.rbb24.de/politik/beitrag/2022/08/spd-berlin-verlaengerung-neun-euro-ticket-jahresende.html

And there is the idea as well of having a 69 EUR ticket to work the same as the 9 EUR ticket did.   Bit Lindner does not want to hear about any 9 EUR ticket shenanigans.

https://www.spiegel.de/auto/9-euro-ticket-nachfolge-bahnbeauftragter-michael-theurer-fdp-offen-fuer-69-euro-ticket-a-532701aa-8975-4d77-9459-2264a0b2b24c