9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

385 posts in this topic

Done four trips in July so far, price €2,25 each and falling.

Not been through Berlin yet, but I am thinking of a couple of longer trips, where the train home starts at my destination so I can grab a seat before many more people get on.

On one trip I am thinking of investing €30+ to get an IC for part of the return journey, more chance of a seat, and I could get home earlier.

As for effects of the ticket, I will surely travel much less from September (even a short day trip costs more than 9€). I really wanted to do a few local bus trips, but I can not be bothered going out in the awful sunshine😉

Just now, Fietsrad said:

I really wanted to do a few local bus trips, but I can not be bothered going out in the awful sunshine😉

Do not I repeat do not go on local bus trips when it is more than 20c.

Buses are like ovens and Germans being German still close the fucking tiny windows because they think they´ll get ill from the fucking draught.

I travel by a busy train line which often looks overcrowded, with people sitting on the stairs. However, dozens of seats are actually occupied by bags, rucksacks etc. I politely insist on sitting down and always find a seat.

The carriages unfortunately are not designed for storage of actual luggage/suitcases, causing many other seats to be blocked.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Buses are like ovens and Germans being German still close the fucking tiny windows because they think they´ll get ill from the fucking draught.

Yes, the metro buses here in Munich do have AC, which means the windows don't open, but it does not seem to be able to cope if the temp goes over 25 deg. C, thankfully the drivers now open all the doors at every stop so there is a momentary relief. Much the same with the new U-Bahn and S-Bahn trains though thankfully the older rolling stock on the U-Bahn do still have windows and I have noticed, unlike in the past, since covid hit nobody objects any more when you open a closed window.:)

Old IC trains were hot but had huge windows.   Now they have AC that often breaks down when it is very hot, mostly sealed windows and a couple of teeny ones that are locked.  Carriages overheat and train gets taken out of service.   Should at least have big windows that are locked, except in case of AC breakdown.    Best trams and buses are the ancient ones with big vents in ceiling which give fantastic airflow when moving. 

AC:DC - Air-conditioning = Droopy Customer? 😕

Unfortunately Air-Con is big busine$$. It would be much better to have opening windows (where you can not stick your head out!), most of the time that would be enough. And a bit of heating in winter.

9 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

AC:DC - Air-conditioning = Droopy Customer? 😕

Unfortunately Air-Con is big busine$$. It would be much better to have opening windows (where you can not stick your head out!), most of the time that would be enough. And a bit of heating in winter.

And the Germans would still complain about the fucking draught making them ill :angry:

The same in the office, people practice Stosslueftung, big-bang ventilation: open all the windows wide for a while until the temperature is far too low, then leave them closed all day so it gets much too hot. Minus = Plus.

I guess the AVERAGE temperature over the day is about right😉

I managed the long trip through Berlin, number 5 this month, cost €1,80. I did cheat by paying 30€ to take an IC for part of the journey back, that saved an hour too😉

Saw an ODEG train at Hauptbahnhof, there seemed to be hundreds of people getting off.

If you are travelling thru Berlin and have time to spare, it could be worth going a couple of stops in the wrong direction, and boarding the RE3 to the Baltic at Suedkreuz instead of Hauptbahnhof for example, might have a better chance of getting a seat.

Just saw that the extra RE3 trains miss out some of the smaller stations😕

Avoiding Hbf always a good idea.  It is mad, all the last minute platform changes.  Masses of people suddenly charging the escalators and stairs.  I see it every year.  I stay top as long as I can but have still been caught out.  Feels like a game.   "Ah, see that woman Platform 3 with the bike and trailer and 2 small children, just folded up trailer to get on the IC due in 3 minutes?  Ha!  Let's switch train to Platform 11.  And, have it come in backwards!"

A conductor asked me for my Ausweis, the FIRST time that has happened. I thought he was asking my destination at first.

"Ausweis!" he barked. I had it ready with my ticket, he did not examine it closely.

Had a platform change at Hauptbahnhof too but fortunately the train was late so I did not miss it😃

Will we get a cheap annual ticket once the 9 Euro ticket come to an end?

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/07/19/will-germanys-9-train-scheme-be-extended-politician-proposes-365-annual-pass

Had one for many years in Vienna as I was often there. It was both cheaper and convenient to have such an annual ticket. By comparison such a ticket for Munich zone M (inner zone of Munich) is 60 Euros a month, going up to 230 Euros per month for the outer zone. Even a single daily ticket for the inner zone costs 8,20 Euros. A 365 Euro annual ticket is available, but only for students who would not be driving a car anyway.

Nine trips this month so far, €1 each. Managed to get to Vorpommen and back on a Thursday, there were enough free seats.

Fridays and Mondays are probably the worst days now, the extra trains only run Saturdays and Sundays.

Planning to get plenty out of my last Nein-Euro ticket in August😉

Took the bikes down to Miesbach and cycled to Schliersee, lovely area but my cycle navi threw a wobbly and ignored the forested route I'd chosen in favour of the main roads, many of which were being repaired so not so nice as planned and rather than risk the same happening on the return we took the train back from Schliersee. The trains that run on that route feature a generous space for bikes so plenty of room there and back even though the train was quite crowded.

The trips I took in July would have normally cost €140+, so I have "saved" quite a bit of cash.

Surely I would have travelled less were it not so cheap. But I had several worthwhile encounters/discoveries.

August 1, bought a nein €uro ticket, took a trip that would have cost €15, so I made a "profit" already.😉

Saw a graffiti:

"RE drei: nazi-frei", +1!

Had to stand both ways on RE3 Monday, -1

Today it's the first Sunday of the month and in Berlin entrance to most museums/art galleries is free. A very good value day combined with the 9 euro ticket!

We made the mistake of visiting friends yesterday evening by S-bahn direction Erding, the trains were absolutely jam packed to and from Rheim with people in Trachten going to the huge concert there.:angry: