9€ Transit Ticket: where are you going?

330 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I had forgotten how awful drivers were to pedestrians ...

They are not awful. They are just following the rules of the road. Pedestrians give way to road users in UK. 

I found it confusing way back when I first hit the Continent and cars would stop for me to cross the road or when I was on the footpath.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Speaking as a non car user for almost 30 years of my adult life I found that cyclists are far and away the worst when it comes to pedestrians.

I agree. German motorists are detestable beings...to other motorists...but I've found them to actually be reasonable to pedestrians (and cyclists). Cyclists on the other hand seem to be complete c*nts to everyone...motorists, pedestrians and other cyclists. I live on a pretty busy road with lots of cars, bikes and pedestrians and its the bikes I'm most worried about with my 2 year old.

4 hours ago, Keleth said:

This to me is the good thing about the €9 ticket.

You can just go somewhere, you can set out not knowing where you´re going and just spend the day going places you´d probably never dream of going otherwise.

They used to have a day a year in the Netherlands, at the end of Book-week, where you could buy the book-week book (the winner? I don't rememeber) and ride the trains on the last day of Book-week for free with it. When I was an exchange student in 2005, we discovered this while at the station, bought the 5 euro book, and just went to random cities. It was indeed fun, and a good way to get people to read. Alas, Dutch Railways is not doing it from this year.

Geen gratis reizen met boekenweekgeschenk in 2022 (treinreiziger.nl)  (you can use Google Translate).

1 hour ago, theGman said:

Cyclists on the other hand seem to be complete c*nts to everyone...motorists, pedestrians and other cyclists.

As a non car driver and cyclist for the last 20 years here in Germany, sad to say I have to agree. So many cyclist just ignore the rules of the road, riding through a red light is a common event despite the danger to themselves and other road users and riding on the footpath to get round a red light is also typical, I despair and wish the police would be more active but get the impression, here in Munich at least, the police have become too cyclist friendly.

Going to and from the old city more than usual this last week with an upcoming concert, I have been a bit horrified by the number of oldies on bikes in the pedestrian zone (no bikes between 8am and 8pm) smiling brightly as they weave unbalanced through the crowds. What is it with these people? The place is very small, and even if you made life really hard for yourself and chose a ridiculous route, the longest you'd be pushing your bike is 4-5 minutes or so. Mostly literally a minute gets you from A-B. The consequences of falling on to some squashy pedestrian or a child in a pram or...:o

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

number of oldies on bikes in the pedestrian zone

These and the beruf cyclists are the worst.

If you go to Friedrichshafen on the lake front where all the cafes have their tables etc out it is a total cycling no go.However we were there 3 years ago and the amount of cyclists who still decided to cycle along there was unbelievable.It got so bad that the last 3 days we were there the ordnungsamt had 2 officers at either end stopping cyclists and making them get off their bikes.

Theres a lake not far from us and there is a cycle route around it and a pedestrian route around it and on the pedestrian route there is a barrier where the cyclists have to get off their bikes and push it around the barrier and plenty of signs saying bikes forbidden etc yet so fucking many push their bikes through the barrier then get back on them and cycle around the pedestrian route.We can never work out if their incredibly fucking dumb or just so arrogant they think it doesn´t apply to them.

I will say it has got so much worse since the popularity of EBikes.

On 20.5.2022 19:30:00, snowingagain said:

I know people who have no idea about the Ruftaxi they can use here.  Obviously they are not everywhere, but even when they are available they do not use them.

It does not cost anything extra for most cardholders.  I found it amazing.  Lots of people I know do not use it, though they could.  Not sure why.

Rufbus where I live, you have to request it at least an hour before the start of the journey, NOT an hour before you want to get on! An early trip must be ordered the day before. I think there is a Comfortsurcharge of 1€. I have not used it.

Quite a lot of early and late buses on some routes are marked with the little 'r'.😕

6 minutes ago, Keleth said:

I will say it has got so much worse since the popularity of EBikes.

Even if am a a pro bicycle guy and pro eBikes I accept there is an issue.   I would think that eBikes in general are very good and they are bringing non-bicycle people to the streets and that's positive.  But at the same time, people with little bicycle skills are now moving all the time at 25 km/h and while that's not really that fast, it is too fast if you have almost no skills.   At the first problem they go down, and the problem is they might take some innocent (pedestrian) with them.   Unfortunately the elderly is from what I've seen the biggest problem.

9 hours ago, Dembo said:

Not being a salty sea dog type I couldn't tell you the difference. It's a thing that floats on the water, right? ;-)

:lol:  It is, but as @Keleth points out it's not a traditional ferry experience.  The catamaran is relatively small, moves very fast, is low to the water, and has little outdoor seating.  The ferry from Konstanz to Meersburg is a real ferry with cars, trucks, buses, bikes and lots of outdoor standing and seating space on different levels.  There you can really take in the lake in a different way.  You can take the BSB ship to Friedrichshafen, but that is of course a much longer journey than with the catamaran, which is geared more toward commuters.  have fun in any case.  I love living on the Bodensee.

You can take the RE bus from Friedrichshafen to Konstanz and then the ferry ride from Meersburg is included with your 9€ ticket.  You can get off the bus during the 20 minute ferry ride.  It all depends on which type of experience you want.  All are interesting.

9 hours ago, Fietsrad said:

Doch, indeed, you can use it for buses all over. I just bought my July ticket😃

Shit. Thanks for the reminder. I'd completely forgotten I need a new one today.  :)

I heard that Clint Eastwood took a mini-job and is checking tickets. He carries his Magnum .44 from The Enforcer.

Enforcement? On some very full trains now the conductor does not even try to check tickets, understandable. But there are allegedly people who can not/will not spend 9€ on a ticket. The ticket inspections are patchy in normal times.

I went on a train this year before the 9€ epoch. The ticket machine on the platform only accepted coins, I did not have coins worth 20€+ so I got on the train and looked for the conductor. She was nowhere to be seen, I walked through all six carriages seeking her. Someone told me that she was in the cab chatting to the driver. I did not bother knocking on the door. Sat on the train for more than an hour, she did not appear.

I would have thought that the Bahn would have some sort of control/requirement that tickets are checked, and that conductors do NOT spend the whole journey chatting to the driver! 😕

32 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Has enforcement become more common since they introduced the ticket? Or has it got less?

IMO less.  I've taken my local train plenty of times and I'd say they normally check.  Maybe 95% of the time.  I've been on it 4 times in June and no checks.  Last time I saw the checker coming out of the drivers cab with the driver so they were probably just yapping.  Showing my ticket to bus drivers as well, nobody checks.  Before June if I had a train ticket + city for the bus, they'd have a look to see if it's the correct date and if it's + city as well.

49 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I heard that Clint Eastwood took a mini-job and is checking tickets. He carries his Magnum .44 from The Enforcer.

He would be better off with a Magnum Double Caramel, delicious. :D

7 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Has enforcement become more common since they introduced the ticket? Or has it got less?

Travelled on the U-bahn today and was checked twice (on different trains),  first time for ages. Looks like maybe they were trying to catch out anyone who forgot to buy a new €9 ticket for July.

Took my first trip on my July ticket, it was checked twice at least. On the way back a train was cancelled, had to wait an hour at a remote train station. Can not remember the last time that happened.😉Fortunately I had enough to read+eat+drink with me, and the line is quite busy, enjoyed watching goods trains roaring by.

There are two extra trains each way on RE3, Saturdays and Sundays only.

Finally got the ticket for the family, for a trip in Frankfurt. We had to buy 5, but couldn't buy in bulk. I had to do each one individually, and missed the train. Morons.